Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Safari won't open some PDF files within the browser. Some will work and some are downloaded for no apparent reason.

Do someone knows how to fix this problem? I tried to delete Safari .plist and it didn't work.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Safari won't open some PDF files within the browser. Some will work and some are downloaded for no apparent reason.

Do someone knows how to fix this problem? I tried to delete Safari .plist and it didn't work.

Can you give a URL for one that is downloaded? Sites can use a variety of methods to force files to be downloaded. Not a Safari problem.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I got same problem with Safari, it won't open certain PDF files for me.. e.g my electricity bill etc.

So now I use OmniWeb which opens every single PDF I have tried.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Can you give a URL for one that is downloaded? Sites can use a variety of methods to force files to be downloaded. Not a Safari problem.

I'll post one if I see another one. It only happens with a few files. I tried with Chrome and I wasn't able to replicate the problem.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Most of the issues I have seen are caused by the Adobe PDF plugin overriding the native Preview/Safari interaction. Removing from the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder the PDF Viewer plugin and then restarting the computer should resolve the issue.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Most of the issues I have seen are caused by the Adobe PDF plugin overriding the native Preview/Safari interaction. Removing from the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder the PDF Viewer plugin and then restarting the computer should resolve the issue.

That didn't work for me at all!

The only solution I could find is use OmniWeb which works fine with all PDF files.

jrisk

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013

I think this might be my issue, but I don't see a PDF Viewer plugin in the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder.

I downloaded Adobe reader because the one site won't let me proceed to the PDF until I did. After I got what I needed, I deleted Adobe because I prefer to use Preview. I suspect that's what happened to the PDF Viewer Plug-in, but I am not sure now how to get it back.

KennethH

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014

Thank you so much for this suggestion - I was having the same problem, and this fixed it completely! I look forward to the day when I can delete ALL Adobe software from my Mac, but that day still isn't today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.