Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

distortnation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I decided to use google voice for my free texting purposes.

I tried to do a search on how to use the number on my phone (not a Google Voice number) as the main number Google Voice uses for text messages. Logically this doesn't make sense since a message would goto to that number (the service provider), thus charging me but I'm hoping I'm wrong and that everyone's doing this.

So... can I use the number my service provider has for my iphone as my google voice number in order to send and receive text messages for free? Or do I just have to give people a different number now whenever I want them to text message me.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You have to give them the GV number. There may be some providers that link your number to the GV number (Sprint was doing this with Google a few years ago, but you ended up with the GV number as your number) but I have no idea which one's and what their deals with Google are.

Just use a GV app. I'd recommend Talkatone because it's easy and it acts just like the regular iPhone dialer/text apps. Just text from the GV app and any replies will go back to the GV app.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I tried to do a search on how to use the number on my phone (not a Google Voice number) as the main number Google Voice uses for text messages.
You don't need to search. The info is on the GV site.
https://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115073&topic=1707989&ctx=topic

You can port your number to google voice. However then it won't work on your phone for calls.
It will work for calls on your phone (otherwise it would be fairly useless) but only for Google Voice calls. You device will be assigned a different number. That is, unless you're with Sprint.

Last edited:

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Agreed with what eyoungren said above. Port your current provider phone number to GV, and then get a default number from your provider for your existing line. Then, get an App like the official GV app or Talkatone app, and with GV having your "known" number, any texts or calls to the "known" number will come through the phone through the App.

The only caveat is you would have to remember to make calls and start text conversations in the App, and not in the Apple default apps (Message or Phone). But that's a small price to pay, really.

The other tricky part would be how to coordinate the phone number transfer, as when you transfer the phone number away from your carrier to GV, I think by default the carriers assume you are cancelling the line, and may shut off service, and try to charge you an ETF if you are still under contract. But, if you did it the other way, and asked for a new dummy phone number on the line before doing the port to GV, then you might lose your number, as they would give it back to the pool, when assigning you the new number. Personally, I would port it to GV first, and then call the carrier up as soon as you see the port go through, and tell them you are not cancelling the line, but you just want a different system assigned phone number, and to turn the service back on, as you want to keep the service and fulfill your contract terms.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I decided to use google voice for my free texting purposes.

I tried to do a search on how to use the number on my phone (not a Google Voice number) as the main number Google Voice uses for text messages. Logically this doesn't make sense since a message would goto to that number (the service provider), thus charging me but I'm hoping I'm wrong and that everyone's doing this.

So... can I use the number my service provider has for my iphone as my google voice number in order to send and receive text messages for free? Or do I just have to give people a different number now whenever I want them to text message me.

If you route the text through your provider number you will get charged. No way around this.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
You don't need to search. The info is on the GV site.
https://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115073&topic=1707989&ctx=topic

It will work for calls on your phone (otherwise it would be fairly useless) but only for Google Voice calls. You device will be assigned a different number. That is, unless you're with Sprint.

No not without a third party app because if you actually port it to GV then you are moving from your carrier.

----------

Agreed with what eyoungren said above. Port your current provider phone number to GV, and then get a default number from your provider for your existing line. Then, get an App like the official GV app or Talkatone app, and with GV having your "known" number, any texts or calls to the "known" number will come through the phone through the App.

The only caveat is you would have to remember to make calls and start text conversations in the App, and not in the Apple default apps (Message or Phone). But that's a small price to pay, really.

The other tricky part would be how to coordinate the phone number transfer, as when you transfer the phone number away from your carrier to GV, I think by default the carriers assume you are cancelling the line, and may shut off service, and try to charge you an ETF if you are still under contract. But, if you did it the other way, and asked for a new dummy phone number on the line before doing the port to GV, then you might lose your number, as they would give it back to the pool, when assigning you the new number. Personally, I would port it to GV first, and then call the carrier up as soon as you see the port go through, and tell them you are not cancelling the line, but you just want a different system assigned phone number, and to turn the service back on, as you want to keep the service and fulfill your contract terms.

This person is correct in terms of porting

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I will mention this for what it is worth, you can also have texts sent to your Google Voice number sent to your email, like Gmail, and you can reply to the texts from email as well. I did this for a while, and it worked very nicely and I did not need the Google Voice App.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.