Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I bought a used 4 GB Pink 2G refurbished from Hastings for $15 just the other week. :) I've been missing a mini since my blue model of same specifications died a year or two back. I love these little things, they're the perfect size and weight to hold comfortably, they get some comments from passerby's since they are showing their age quite a bit now, and best of all; it's a music player. No apps, no internet, not even photo or video. Just a great, solid music player.

I've somehow managed to lose my ridiculously tiny 6G nano (Imagine that :rolleyes:) so at the moment I am no longer able to carry my entire music collection with me, and am really thinking about putting a CF card in this mini to solve this problem. I've fiddled with them before, so I think I should be able to do it without a whole lot of difficulty. I love giving old technology new life much more so than buying a new gadget or computer. There's just something extremely satisfying about making use out of something deemed to be near useless in today's world. :)

Pklink04

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Yes you can use almost any CF card that's on the market. I think the ipod minis have a limit on 128 GB capacity.

Thank you good sir, I hope positive karma shines down upon you :). I have now ordered a new battery and I think I have found the proper CF card (Transcend TS32GCF133). Cant wait to get working on this project. :D

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I have now ordered a new battery and I think I have found the proper CF card (Transcend TS32GCF133).

I think I've used the same. Don't remember. It's inside now and it works... Be sure to format it with Disk Utility before using.

Pklink04

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I think I've used the same. Don't remember. It's inside now and it works... Be sure to format it with Disk Utility before using.

Thanks again for all your help, I just have 3 more questions (I hope :))
1. To format the card, do I just plug it into a CF card reader and use disc utility?
2. What do I format the card too as well?
3. I with the card you purchased do you have to sync in disc mode, or can you just plug it in and sync?

Also please forgive me, other members, I would PM, but I dont have enough posts yet. :(

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
1. To format the card, do I just plug it into a CF card reader and use disc utility?
2. What do I format the card too as well?
3. I with the card you purchased do you have to sync in disc mode, or can you just plug it in and sync?

It's perfectly alright to ask questions here.
- close iTunes
- Format it as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) with disk utility
- open iTunes and reset iPod mini

This way iTunes won't be troubling you with faulty earlier settings or thinks you iPod is faulty in other ways. Once you have reset the iPod mini (iTunes may download the iPod Software Update first), you can immediately start using it.

h.finn

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Hello everybody,
I just registered today on the forum....
:):)
I have an original Mini 1°gen.
I also have a 5gen. Video.
Both of them are Rockboxed.

I'm posting here first of all because I dicovered yesterday, to my amazement, :eek::eek: that the rockboxed Mini, with good headphones (I just bought some Denon ah-d2000) and connecting the cans directly to the line-out port is FAR superior in sound quality to the "celebrated" 5gen. video (the last one with a Wolfons dac).
Unbeliveable that nobody talks about it!!
Anyway, as I am new and can't send private messages yet, wanted to ask YanniDepp and Davy.Shalom if either one would be so kind as mod for me and sell me a Mini with 16gb cf card and new battery........?

...I live in Europe (France): hope we can come to an agreement....:D:D:D

Many thanks,
H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.