Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
My mom has a 32gb iPhone 5 that she got on release day. Yesterday she was using it and all of a sudden it lost AT&T network and said searching, then a picture of a man popped up. When she got home she showed me and it still didn't have network, but the picture wasn't present. I'm not sure if she was on a web page and that popped up or what. I restarted the phone by holding power+home and it seemed okay afterwards. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is it anything to worry about?

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Have you considered taking her to the Funny Farm?

Har har har.

I highly doubt the picture popped up.

However the no AT&T has happened to alot of people.

Including me, but it's a Version.

iWallace26

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
you know what they say once you go black you never go back.. that includes your att service :p

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
was he wearing pants?

lol

----------

It must have been a FaceTime call that was mistaken by someone else account. It's along shot, but that could be an explanation. If she hit the accept button she was able to see the man in question. But it could only have worked if the AT&T network was up and running either on 3G data or LTE.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Haha this thread have me a few laughs. I'm thinking she had safari or Pinterest open and when she unlocked it she saw something from the page she was on.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
Probably just Safari, but another possibility (totally a longshot) is that someone set up a "captive portal" on their open Wifi network, like you'd see at a coffee shop. When you join a new Wifi network (is hers set to connect automatically?), the phone tries to connect to a server at apple.com. If it can't, it pops up a browser window trying to display an Apple site. If there's a captive portal, its login page is displayed instead.

Someone tech-savvy could set up captive portal that displays a picture like that as a prank.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Any chance someone 'accidentally' Face Timed her? If her phone is relatively new, it could be a phone number another person once 'owned'---and a F/T call could've come through.

I don't use FT too often, but that sounds like a possibility, as the 'Face' or camera shot of someone pops up when ringing for F/T, right?

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.