Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
I got my iPad Mini on December 29, Amazing Tablet. Retina or not, however a few days ago i learned a iPad Mini Retina would come out in March. So today i returned it.

I figured i should've because of that. Was it a smart choice?

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
There is zero proof when the next version of the mini is coming out, but if you didn't feel that you couldn't live without it then you made the right choice for you.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Every single rumor is just that, a rumor. It might come in March, it might not. What I do know is that you won't have the enjoyment of playing with an iPad Mini for 3 months at least.

If you keep waiting for the next best one, you'll end up doing that forever. Once the Retina comes out, rumors for a A7 chipped iPad Mini will rise and you'll end up waiting once again.

As for myself, I don't think a Retina is going to come out. An updated iPad Mini with higher specs CPU and RAM wise maybe, but a Retina needs a iPad 4 resolution screen in the 7.9 inch screen of the iPad Mini. That, or they release a whole new resolution which fragments iOS even more.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Mark my words, there will NOT be a new iPad mini announced in March. Why the hell would Apple rush out a new mini when they can't even keep up with the demand of the current one? I wouldn't expect a new mini until June at the earliest.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
This is a topic that will be debated until March...and then 6 months after that, and...
If and that's questionable at this point, Apple does go to a twice yearly update, we have no solid proof that the Mini will be updated in March or if it will be updated in the Fall. And no one can be positive that retina will come to the Mini at either time.

The Mini is a good product now, the 4th gen is a good product now, if you want to wait until they are a better product, then that's what you should do. But keep in mind that 6 months after you purchase..another upgrade is just around the corner.

For myself, I'll enjoy what I have right now and will still enjoy it when upgrades come around, I will decide then to sell and buy the latest and greatest or wait until the next go around.

Good luck to you in March! Hope things work out the way you want!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Considering the current Mini is a fantastic device, and it's cost is reasonable, and could be sold in favor of the rumored new one, no I don't think it's smart at all. Then again, I could not, nor would most, care what anyone does with their money.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm not about to criticize your decision. Only those who think they know it all would assume they have enough information to advise you.

I tend to think you chose the right move for you. Most of us don't just arbitrarily return a product we're very happy with.

Also I would not be surprised to see a new iPad mini sooner than later. I know quite a few hard core long time Apple enthusiasts that refuse to buy the low resolution, somewhat outdated mini that's out now. They know that resale on the current model will be far less than Apples normal ratio. After all with all the hype Apple has created around retina, anything less is sub par.

I happen to truly enjoy my mini. Yet the moment it gets a retina display, I'm dumping this one at any cost. It's the price one pays for first gen Apple products.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I got my iPad Mini on December 29, Amazing Tablet. Retina or not, however a few days ago i learned a iPad Mini Retina would come out in March. So today i returned it.

I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. There is no rush. Wait for the retina screen and all the other good stuff and you'll be fine. Who knows when it will come out, but it will be worth the wait.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Guess you gotta wait till march and hope a new one comes out. Ill be enjoying mine till then and sell it to upgrade if a new one comes out. Rather lose a little in the process then sit empty handed

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
This stuff is ridiculous,

when the retina comes out there with be rumors for the next one soon after too, are you going to return it then?

Don't get me wrong it's always a good idea to buy the newest when you're in the market but if it was an amazing device why not use it now?

I get what works for me and enjoy it as long as I have. If I tried to keep with every new refresh I would drive myself insane.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I wouldn't sweat every update, but the retina is a big deal, in my opinion. I'm skipping the iPad 4 and probably the 5, and I doubt it will matter too much to me. The screen (for my purposes) is what matters. That's why I couldn't get the Mini.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Meh. This evening I was at a local retailer and they happened to have one in stock, so I picked it up. This thing is awesome! I don't think I care if a new one comes out in march, it's a joy to use, I feel like I've been missing out!

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Life would be awesome if you buy something, use it a week or two then return it in order to wait something which is rumoured to be released after couple months. :)

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
What an original and unexpected thread idea. Has anyone on this site not returned their ipad? I guess it has become passe to just buy things and use them.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
There's a new car coming out next year I think. I'm going to sell my car now and just walk until the new car comes out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its your money and if you're unhappy with the mini, then yes its smart of you to return it. IF you're returning it because of an unsubstantiated rumor and hope that something may come then you may be waiting for a while.

There's no evidence to support a spring time refresh of the mini especially since it just came out. Prior to the unveiling of the mini we heard lots of rumors, and pictures from parts suppliers on an impending 7" tablet from apple. We're not hearing anything yet so to me that means we'll not see anything this spring. Parts makers would need to be producing the parts now for a potential spring release and lack of news probably means lack of a retina mini

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Foolish move sir.
You're basing this on a single Wall Street rumor?
You realize they are trying to prop up the stock price?

Do yourself a favor- Re-buy it.
Wait for photo leaks and more of a buzz.
There will be plenty of time to SELL and get ready to upgrade if that's what you desire.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Not a smart choice at all. Look, this site is called macrumors. Not macfacts, not macwepublishapplesreleaseplans, but macrumors. Basing anything on stories you read here is just stupid. In this case, if you followed the more reasonable people in various threads, there are some big reasons why there won't be an iPad Mini Retina for a long, long time. So on the negative side, you'll have to live without an iPad until you buy one again. Get an iPad 4. On the positive side, someone will buy a refurbished iPad Mini and be happy with it.

The retina iPad mini is coming out in September...bad move OP.

I just had to vote this up. Too funny.

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Good move on your part. Its your choice, not someone else's, and if you want the retina display and have to wait for it, do so. I to will wait it out, and I'm in no hurry. As far as enjoying it now comments, I have another computer to use so its no big deal to wait a bit longer. ;)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There's a new car coming out next year I think. I'm going to sell my car now and just walk until the new car comes out.

Using an automotive analogy only works if you don't need a car or have more than one car. If the ipad min is your only computer your decisions as opposed to the Mini being a luxury gadget that supplements your existing computer(s).

In 2010 Ford resdesigned the Mustang and in 2011 Ford updated the engine with a signifianct increase in power and fuel efficiency. This gave you the power of the 2010 Mustang GT in the base model.

The smart thing was to return your 2010 Mustang and wait a couple of months to get the 2011 Mustang which gives you the new body style and the upgraded engine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.