Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I've seen them in the full size style with metal hinges, but can you get them the same style that apple sells with the rubber hinge?
The reason I ask is because my girlfriend has bought me a grey cover off eBay (from a private seller, not a business) as a surprise and I'd like the confirm its authenticity. Packaging is as good quality as any other Smart Cover I've bought from apple stores so the only reason I doubt it is due to the vendor.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Sure, I've seen a few on eBay. Although it's rare they packaging is counterfeit as well. Do you already have it? I've got a couple authentic ones I can compare it with if you're curious about the packaging.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Private sellers sell all kinds of legit products on eBay. Not sure why you're concerned.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For those that have seen fake ones for the mini, have you seen any in black? I'd love to have a black one for my mini.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Sure, I've seen a few on eBay. Although it's rare they packaging is counterfeit as well. Do you already have it? I've got a couple authentic ones I can compare it with if you're curious about the packaging.

I've not had any for the mini but had genuine ones for previous iPads and the packaging looks the same so I'm pretty sure it's genuine, just wondered if I could confirm.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks. Bought it. I'll post some comments when it arrives.

Awesome. I'd love to hear what you think about it. For 12 bucks, it's a steal.

----------

I've not had any for the mini but had genuine ones for previous iPads and the packaging looks the same so I'm pretty sure it's genuine, just wondered if I could confirm.

Your best bet is to see if it says "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China" on the inside of the cover. But honestly, that could probably be replicated as well.

I had a fake for the full sized iPad and I was shocked how close the packaging looked to the genuine ones. The only major difference was that the pictures on the back were blurry compared to Apple's. (The writing in the email picture was readable on Apple's.) If I didn't have a genuine one at the time, I may not have known.

Blk98Cobra

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
I just ordered one from that seller as well to go along with my smoked Smartbuddy back case. I'll post the details when they come in.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013

You'd be surprised how easily and nicely packaging can be copied. I've had both real and fake ones and the fake one's glue tends to fail pretty quickly and so the microfibre layer separates from the front cover leaving bubbles. The edges also wear very quickly.

Blk98Cobra

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
So I finally got my fake Black Smart cover from that seller and I must say it is quite nice. It is definitely not as flimsy as the Apple smart covers. Another thing I noticed is that the magnets are considerably stronger than the Apple branded smart cover. I'm thinking about picking up another one just to have as an extra!

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
So I finally got my fake Black Smart cover from that seller and I must say it is quite nice. It is definitely not as flimsy as the Apple smart covers. Another thing I noticed is that the magnets are considerably stronger than the Apple branded smart cover. I'm thinking about picking up another one just to have as an extra!

Pics. Links.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Have you used a real smart cover to compare the material to?

For 12 bucks, totally a steal... I might just buy it!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks. Bought it. I'll post some comments when it arrives.

Pardon me for quoting my own post.

So the $12 Chinese SmartCover knock-off arrived in the mail. It looks very, very close to the Apple one. A casual observer would never spot the difference.

The outer material, at least on the black one I bought, feels like a decent-grade poly, so I'm hoping it'll hold up. The inside is a microfiber but not quite the same grade as on Apple's. Less fuzzy but seems soft enough not to harm the screen.

The 3 hinges in the segments are stiffer than on Apple's original; this is both good and bad - tends to flop/flex less but I've had the magnetic attachment pop off the iPad a few times when attempting to fold it into a triangle.

The other negative is that the spine hinge magnet isn't quite as strong as on Apple's covers, so it's a bit more prone to pop off. Not loose at all, just slightly less strongly bound. It's popped of a couple times folding the lid segments in to a triangle (though note above where I say the segment hinges are stiffer; this may loosen with time) or when putting moderate lateral pressure on to the cover from right to left. With my two Apple brand ones, it's a bit harder to make this happen. But the "fake one" hasn't yet come off while simply carrying the iPad.

The knock-off, at least mine, does not have a counterfeit "Made by Apple..." printing on the microfiber inside cover near the spine. And it came in a simple plastic wrapper and not counterfeit Smart Cover packaging.

All in all, a fairly good buy for $12. The Apple ones are 'better', but cost basically three times as much. I've got an Apple dark gray one and a Product Red one, and now this eBay black one. I really like the way the black one looks on my black iPad mini, so I'll continue to use it for a while.

I'd post pics, but it looks just like an Apple iPad mini Smart Cover, other than the black color... so really not much to see. But if anyone really wants, I will.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I ordered one yesterday using the link here. Really hate havnig a dark gray Smart Cover with a black back cover and a black iPad. The back cover I use holds the Smart Cover in place anyways, assuming the hinge is the same dimensions as the Apple cover, so magnet strength won't be an issue

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I ordered one last night, and it shipped about an hour later.

Fast shipping, unfortunately not so fast in travel from china. Getting used to the wait for cheaper prices though :D

I also bought the same case you have cptnodegard, it also shipped quickly.

Hoping these items will do me when out and about, hate to use the ipad 'clothed' but I know the anodization will get scratched to hell if I Don't have protection out of the home.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Hoping these items will do me when out and about, hate to use the ipad 'clothed' but I know the anodization will get scratched to hell if I Don't have protection out of the home.

I also find the back case's rubberized feel MUCH more comfortable to hold than the aluminum of the iPad. Especially here in Norway, where winter temperatures turn aluminum into very cold pieces of metal

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Sorry for the low-light grainy images.
Here's the eBay black Smart Cover compared to an Apple-branded red cover.
Pics of front, back (inside cover) and folded.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 314
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.