Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just..another iOS

• Yes

Votes: 93 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 150 61.7%

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry to interrupt, but the only choices in that poll are "Yes" and "No", but to which question? I guess to the new direction one?

Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just..another iOS
Do you think iOS 7 will be a "new" direction for iOS? Or just the same thing

Anyway, we will maybe see the start of a new direction, but probably not a full new direction.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple has become extremely conservative. iOS 7 is most likely going to be a small incremental update. That's not bad, it's the Apple way.

The biggest problem is Apple has no one to hype it up like before. Now on a more level playing field, Apples being tested.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I don't think Apple can afford such a small iOS update. iOS 7 has to be good cause Android will beat it if its not already ahead

That is your opinion. There are plenty of people who dislike android specifically because it is so easily customized and different from release to release. i.e., Enterprise users.

Just look at how much OS X has changed in the past 11 years for an indication as to how much change you're likely to see in iOS.

Hell, even compare the core UI concepts to the original mac in 1984.

The UI will not change much.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
I hope its a revolutionary step for iOS, not just a overhaul.

Now that they have a larger screen, it's high time they moved the back button from the top left to the bottom area. I have average sized hands, and basically anything that's on the top of the screen requires me tilting the phone towards the finger to reach it or completely using my thumb and risk losing my grip.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I don't think Apple can afford such a small iOS update. iOS 7 has to be good cause Android will beat it if its not already ahead

Apple doesn't care about other people. Apple doesn't listen to customers. Apple thinks they're always the best. Apple will always do what they like.

Remember that.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
Apple needs to shake things up to keep people interested. I think most were expecting something big with iOS 6 but when Scott stood up on the stage and feature number 1 was "Siri improvements" I knew then it wouldn't be as big as people were hoping.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It NEEDS to be a major update, Apple have no choice, Apple are already having to slow down production of the iPhone 5 due to people moving to other phones.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
While Apple's gated ecosystem and lust to control every aspect of their software experience definitely has its upsides (safe, simple, conform), I remember a considerable amount of people raising a stink over Apple's approach back when their approach started and ended with having to sync your iPod through iTunes. However, Apple gear was the most innovative thing out there, and offered features the competitors just outright did not have. (Certain Apple devices still have this benefit today.)

While enough people will prefer the gated approach in the future regardless of what the competition are up to, I can easily see many of the complainers of old (who have been sticking around for the sole reason that Apple was *ahead*) jumping ship, if they haven't already. I'm one of those people who prefer open solutions, it was really just a matter of Android becoming viable, and honestly, despite finding Jelly Bean amazing, I still think the iPhone is the more complete package. For how long yet, is a legitimate question, though. The choice is no longer as crystal clear as it was back in the day, Apple need to step up their game: the vast majority of people don't care if Android started off as a derivative, they care for what it offers them today. (The fact that Pratchett has blatantly copied off Tolkien's work hasn't stopped millions of people from reading his books, either. People don't care if something is derivative, they just care if it's a good derivative with its own set of benefits, and Android most definitely is.)

"Can't top perfection" > I laugh every time I see that comment. An OS isn't like wine, it ain't gettin' prettier with age. I wanna see them whip that comment out in another 5 years, should iOS stay pretty much the same way it is now. Of course, by then the competition won't only be .2 steps ahead, but leaps and bounds ahead. I predict iOS limping painfully behind Android (and other up and coming operating systems) in the near to medium future, and no amount of "been there first" or "never change perfection" is going to alleviate their ailment in the long-run.

And now we get people claiming that doing the conservative thing is Apple's way? No, they've always been game changers, conservative only in their hunger for control, certainly not in their approach to innovation and breaking the mold. "Bold, Innovative, Progressive" are words which I associate with Apple, indeed, words most people associated with Apple, "conservative" being the term most people had down for Microsoft. The fact that people are starting to see Apple as the conservative entity is quite telling, in its own way.
And no, I'm not some jaded old ****, I just really feel that iOS 7 needs to drastically step up its game, perhaps even break the mold once more, show people how far ahead a mobile OS can be, instead of shuffling behind Android and hollering "me too!" like it seems they've been doing lately.

And yes, the poll is confusing. You'd do well to re-examine it, OP.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
outside of the 12 people who live on this forum....:D
most users just use their phones, they don't sweat the details.

apple would be insane to change things too much; the average user just wants his phone to run well.

i hope to see:
some GUI changes
improvements
more improvements

but, as all things apple...they'll do what THEY choose to do...

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I think IOS6 was a set up for a big update like iOS 5. I believe there will be some UI changes but nothing drastic.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
That is your opinion. There are plenty of people who dislike android specifically because it is so easily customized and different from release to release. i.e., Enterprise users.

Just look at how much OS X has changed in the past 11 years for an indication as to how much change you're likely to see in iOS.

Hell, even compare the core UI concepts to the original mac in 1984.

The UI will not change much.

Kind of fact, hence sales numbers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/iphone-demand_n_2470922.html

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
iOS needs to be revamped, but not by adding widgets to the home screen.

The UI needs unified, it's all over the place in iOS 6. I'm on a 2 year contract with my 4S until May 2014, so I have a long time until I em eligible for an upgrade.

Android never previously interested me, and while I prefer the fluidity and look of iOS, I have looked at that S3 I turned down at the last second when taking out the 4S somewhat enviously at times.

If Apple don't get the finger out and quit these ridiculous incremental updates that add new versions of exactly the same then I may end up doing the one thing I never thought I would, which is switch to Android for my phone needs.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
iOS needs to be revamped, but not by adding widgets to the home screen.

The UI needs unified, it's all over the place in iOS 6. I'm on a 2 year contract with my 4S until May 2014, so I have a long time until I em eligible for an upgrade.

Android never previously interested me, and while I prefer the fluidity and look of iOS, I have looked at that S3 I turned down at the last second when taking out the 4S somewhat enviously at times.

If Apple don't get the finger out and quit these ridiculous incremental updates that add new versions of exactly the same then I may end up doing the one thing I never thought I would, which is switch to Android for my phone needs.

I was close to getting the Galaxy Nexus before I decided the iPhone 5. But Yes I totally agree

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.