Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'll never understand why certain apple pundits think choice is bad. If they make a 4" phone and a 5" phone, you don't have to buy the 5".

No, but lots of apps will get fragmented or letter-boxed making one or the other size of phone less desirable for running those apps.

I'm hoping for a new smaller iPhone, even smaller that the 3G. Apple often surprises the market by going opposite from what all the pundits think is best, and minting money with their surprise change-uo. A ton of people thought the original iPhone (and 3G and 3Gs) was too big (especially for small hands and small pockets). Maybe to the tune of many Billions of revenue?

Yupper3D

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Over the iPhone

Wow, more colors! Bah... boring.

I hate to say this because I've been a long time fan of apple products, but I'm kinda over the iPhone now. It's just the same over and over. I mean, in 2007 when I first got my 3G, I was ecstatic; the iPhone was like nothing else around: Safari, iOS, Apps, easy interface, etc.

Every new generation is just a small iteration over the previous one. No game changers anymore. Unfortunately, every other phone out there is just trying to copy the iPhone as well. I don't see a paradigm shift anytime soon in the cell phone world. One glimpse of hope is the new Ubuntu-based OS, but that's about it.

I'm the least excited about "the next iPhone" I've ever been.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
One reason Apple I think has not had many different models with different screens is that it makes it harder to manage all those versions.

Right now they basically have the 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5 running anything from iOS 3 to 6.

They make a ton of model with this setup, the most of any phone mfg out there, also it seems to work no matter what any of us may think or say.

I am ok with the new 4" and the older 3.5" screen, although I am liking the 4" better, I am not sure I would want anything too much bigger, maybe 4.5"

One of the only reasons I used to Jailbreak with the 3GS, 4, and 4S was the ability to customize the look of my phone and change icons, but Apple is making this hard with each iOS version, and not worth the effort. I would like to see a major iOS change, but I am really embedded into Apple products right now, so to switch to the samsung SGIII is not in my future right now, however I am getting tired of the aging iOS, looking for more than just features every update, prefer they do something to make iOS fun again, but this is my personal opinion only.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I am not sure they will ever go back, however maybe for your sake they will continue to offer the 4S as a low cost phone, but unlikely they will go back based on their history of decision making...

Which is why I'll most likely not buy another iPhone. I do think my 4 will last me another couple years so there is some transition time for me.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
This is why i hate 3.5-inch iPhone... Blackberry fans ridicule the small display a lot... i.e. one poster commented: "That iPhone looks small and old.... and out dated."

I am thinking an iPhone with a 4.3 or 4.5 would be nice, but either way people will still buy the iPhone just because they like it. I am not sure Blackberry is a good comparison, but maybe the Samsung GSIII or Note II, they are closer to the iPhone then BB is. I will be interested to see what happens on 1-30-2013 when Rim shows their new OS and Phones off, bot that I will ever, ever, ever, go back to a BB, I hated them and always will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.