Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kpress3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I have 1708 songs checked in my iTunes that should sync to my phone, but only 793 actually sync (even after a restore). What is going on, and how can it be fixed?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have 1708 songs checked in my iTunes that should sync to my phone, but only 793 actually sync (even after a restore). What is going on, and how can it be fixed?

It could be a variety of things. Songs might be incorrect format or too high of quality for starters. Do you get any sort of error message when you sync? Look through the info of the songs that aren't syncing and see if you see some sort of pattern.

kpress3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
It could be a variety of things. Songs might be incorrect format or too high of quality for starters. Do you get any sort of error message when you sync? Look through the info of the songs that aren't syncing and see if you see some sort of pattern.

I had all my songs on my phone since I got it for Christmas, then one day it synced and it only had 793 songs on it. No error comes up when I sync. When it first happened, my iPhone Summary tab said there were 1708 songs on my phone when there wasn't, but now it says 793 even though I have 1708 songs checked.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I had all my songs on my phone since I got it for Christmas, then one day it synced and it only had 793 songs on it. No error comes up when I sync. When it first happened, my iPhone Summary tab said there were 1708 songs on my phone when there wasn't, but now it says 793 even though I have 1708 songs checked.

Wow. That is a new one on me. I'm definitely not an expert on iTunes. Have you tried emailing apple customer support yet? Or talking to them in some way shape or form, at least until you find someone on here who knows what they are talking about.

kpress3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Not yet, I was just seeing if anyone knew what to do before I contacted Apple. This is so frustrating.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I had the same thing happen about a year ago with my 4S. I had 156 music videos that I wanted to sync. Only about 100 of them would actually sync even though I had them in a playlist and synced the playlist. Switching user accounts and creating the same exact playlist got all the videos to sync. Deleting the playlist and creating a new one didn't help.

The same exact playlist on another Mac would sync all 156 videos.

I never did figure out what the problem was, it never made sense

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Sounds like it could be those particular files. Remove all the music off and try to sync the music that would not go onto the phone. It should give you some sort of error if it will not sync.

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
I found that if you went into the "On this iPhone" tab in iTunes they files would show up, so iTunes thinks they're already there! If you select "manually manage music and video", go onto the" On this iPhone" tab and delete the files iTunes won't think they're on the phone. Then manually dragging the files onto the phone forced them to sync. Just turn off manually manage music, and all will be sorted! This worked on my 4S.

JG00D

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
In my case it had to do with file type. I used audible (free audio editing software) to convert the file to MP3 format.

hughejd

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
I found that if you went into the "On this iPhone" tab in iTunes they files would show up, so iTunes thinks they're already there! If you select "manually manage music and video", go onto the" On this iPhone" tab and delete the files iTunes won't think they're on the phone. Then manually dragging the files onto the phone forced them to sync. Just turn off manually manage music, and all will be sorted! This worked on my 4S.

I just found this thread, as I was having this same problem. All of my songs were on my iPhone 4, but when I bought my new iPhone 5 and synced it with the same iTunes library on my Mac, only about 1/3 of the songs were on my iPhone. As you experienced, iTunes thought all of the songs were there. The first thing I tried was to uncheck my playlists in iTunes and resync, thinking all the songs would be removed from my phone, but when I looked, they were still there. Next I manually cleared all of my playlists on my phone, rechecked them in iTunes, and synced again. That did the trick...I'm not sure why it worked, but it did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.