Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I doubt retina is coming in march... But you're more than welcome to hold your breath. While you're at it, might as well wait until the 4th gen mini, you know, when its "perfect". Wait, that's not right.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
So I decided I'm going to buy one from Best Buy. They have a 30 day return policy so I can really test it out. By mid-February, we should have an idea if the iPad Mini 2 will be retina or not and if it is, I'll just return the Mini.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Update: I bought it and love it so far. I think a lot of my issues when initially using it had more to do with the harsh lighting of the Apple store than anything.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Wait.

I bought the mini, knew it has low resolution & don't mind it. What I wasn't expecting was how slow it is relative to my Nexus 7.

I'm sure Apple will fix this in the upcoming new mini.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Update: I bought it and love it so far. I think a lot of my issues when initially using it had more to do with the harsh lighting of the Apple store than anything.

Great choice. Won't see retina mini until October so we can sell and upgrade then. While the delusional people believe it will be out in march, there is no way possible. We will enjoy our minis while they sit on their hands all year. Cheers and welcome to the club! :cool:

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Great choice. Won't see retina mini until October so we can sell and upgrade then. While the delusional people believe it will be out in march, there is no way possible. We will enjoy our minis while they sit on their hands all year. Cheers and welcome to the club! :cool:

Thanks! Not even sure if I will sell it. Seems great.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Should I answer this question now or wait til the next person posts the exact same one?

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I'm in the very same boat. I've sold some old equipment and will have enough to buy a cellular Mini. I now have an iPad 3, and while I do like the screen, I'm tired of the weight and bulk, and I find that I'm just not using it much. I do most of my home computing on a Mac Pro with a 27" Cinema Display and a Macbook Air 11", so the iPad is mostly for on-the-go and reading books/magazines at home. I don't live near an Apple Store or even a Best Buy to go in and actually handle a Mini up close and personal. I've looked at one in a display case at WalMart, and the display actually looked pretty good/acceptable to me through the fingerprint-covered display glass. I've read every post here that I can find from people who have a Mini and also an iPad 3/4 with retina. Some say the difference is huge, others say it's not a big deal. Like many others, I would buy one in a heartbeat right now if I KNEW there wouldn't be a retina model in March. I wonder if Tim would give me a hint if I emailed him :confused:

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I'm in the very same boat. I've sold some old equipment and will have enough to buy a cellular Mini. I now have an iPad 3, and while I do like the screen, I'm tired of the weight and bulk, and I find that I'm just not using it much. I do most of my home computing on a Mac Pro with a 27" Cinema Display and a Macbook Air 11", so the iPad is mostly for on-the-go and reading books/magazines at home. I don't live near an Apple Store or even a Best Buy to go in and actually handle a Mini up close and personal. I've looked at one in a display case at WalMart, and the display actually looked pretty good/acceptable to me through the fingerprint-covered display glass. I've read every post here that I can find from people who have a Mini and also an iPad 3/4 with retina. Some say the difference is huge, others say it's not a big deal. Like many others, I would buy one in a heartbeat right now if I KNEW there wouldn't be a retina model in March. I wonder if Tim would give me a hint if I emailed him :confused:
Get it. I've found it perfect for web browsing and its very light, like less than 1/2 the weight of The iPad, but feels much lighter. Because of this, you find you'll hold it much closer to your eyes. I thought the lack of retina would be an issue, but I'm not bothered by it much.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Get it. I've found it perfect for web browsing and its very light, like less than 1/2 the weight of The iPad, but feels much lighter. Because of this, you find you'll hold it much closer to your eyes. I thought the lack of retina would be an issue, but I'm not bothered by it much.

Thanks for the reply and for your experience with the Mini- I really appreciate it. I MAY wait a LITTLE bit longer (a week or two) and see if there is any hard evidence that pops up about an update in March. All we've had so far is speculation and guesses from analysts. In the past, there have usually been leaked photos, part numbers, etc. that pop up before new model introductions, and we've seen none of that- yet. If Apple indeed plans a March update of the Mini or full-size iPad and wants to have availability at that time, then production would need to be starting pretty soon, which might make information leaks more likely.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply and for your experience with the Mini- I really appreciate it. I MAY wait a LITTLE bit longer (a week or two) and see if there is any hard evidence that pops up about an update in March. All we've had so far is speculation and guesses from analysts. In the past, there have usually been leaked photos, part numbers, etc. that pop up before new model introductions, and we've seen none of that- yet. If Apple indeed plans a March update of the Mini or full-size iPad and wants to have availability at that time, then production would need to be starting pretty soon, which might make information leaks more likely.

You could always get it from best buy. They have a 30 day return window without a restocking fee so if something comes up or you don't like it, you can return it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Glad you like it. Personally, I think you made the right decision as I'm not convinced an update is coming in March.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Glad you like it. Personally, I think you made the right decision as I'm not convinced an update is coming in March.

I have a 30 day return window so we'll have a better idea by mid February. If an A6 is in the ipad mini 2, is it even worth upgrading from an A5?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What is with this retina fascination?

Seriously, get one if you need one. Many, including myself, have zero issue with the non-retina display.

Looks fine to me.
These people who say you can't read anything on the screen should perhaps visit their local optometrist for a check up.
This or go to a drugstore and have them help pick out reading glasses.

New Concept Warning

1. If you need it now, buy it now.
2. If you want it now, buy it now.
3. If neither 1 or 2, wait.
What a concept. And actually one I agree with.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
iPad mini will receive a small update in March along side the redesigned iPad 5...iPad mini will get a RAM upgrade, bump to A6 chip and better camera (same as in the new iPad 5), the retina iPad mini WON'T be released till the fall with the A6X chip...

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
iPad mini will receive a small update in March along side the redesigned iPad 5...iPad mini will get a RAM upgrade, bump to A6 chip and better camera (same as in the new iPad 5), the retina iPad mini WON'T be released till the fall with the A6X chip...

Quick question.
How will apple market this upgrade if they never refer to ram?

they are just going to announce a new better mini with an A6 and better cam?
not doubting this could happen, but just wondering what else could be added that would be actually mentioned; as RAM is never addressed.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Quick question.
How will apple market this upgrade if they never refer to ram?

they are just going to announce a new better mini with an A6 and better cam?
not doubting this could happen, but just wondering what else could be added that would be actually mentioned; as RAM is never addressed.

Thats exactly it...they wont market the mini upgrade, just like they didn't market the iPad 4 update when the mini was released. They want the spotlight on the iPad 5 release in March, the mini will just get a nice silent speed bump to keep it competitive. Then in the fall Apple will market the heck out of the updated iPad mini retina...and the full size iPad will get its silent speed bump

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I got tired of trying to keep up with the newest and greatest tech. I figure if I get it now I will use it and I don't have to upgrade for a while. Im still using my iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3g, 2010 Macbook and a 2007 Dell Studio Laptop. Im completely happy and if one of them goes out, that is when I will upgrade. Until then I enjoy them to the fullest.

Back on track:
The display on the mini is pretty clear now. The only time I see the individual pixels is in the time bar on the bottom of the Youtube app. Otherwise it doesn't really show

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
I love these threads. If you want a new Apple product but you're afraid of being disappointed when the new one comes out, don't buy Apple products.

Fortunately, iOS devices hold their value extremely well. Buy a Mini now, if there's a retina model in March you can sell it for close to retail value and upgrade to the new one. The only thing I would fear is a price drop.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
By the time I finally find a Mini in stock near me, the Retina Mini will be out.

Luckily I have poor eyesight and can't tell the difference between Retina & Non Retina when holding the device at a comfortable distance away from my face.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
By the time I finally find a Mini in stock near me, the Retina Mini will be out.

Luckily I have poor eyesight and can't tell the difference between Retina & Non Retina when holding the device at a comfortable distance away from my face.

man mini's are in stock all around me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.