Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
So Apple dipped under 500 today in the stock market. Of course it's going to take years of mistakes for Apple to go under but are you afraid Apple's not going to innovate this year or next year. That they lost there mojo after Steve passed away. Even with Jonny Ives and Apple Television, it's not looking very good for Apple... do you think Android has won? People want cheap and open, not closed and expensive?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So Apple dipped under 500 today in the stock market. Of course it's going to take years of mistakes for Apple to go under but are you afraid Apple's not going to innovate this year or next year. That they lost there mojo after Steve passed away. Even with Jonny Ives and Apple Television, it's not looking very good for Apple... do you think Android has won? People want cheap and open, not closed and expensive?

Well aren't you just a little prophet of doom.:rolleyes: I think you are overstating your case, Chicken Little.:p

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I might respond if you help me understand how Apple's corporate stock price has anything to do with the Android OS winning 'something'.

:confused::confused::confused:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apple don't need to keep "innovating" every five minutes. Maybe just get things right first time.

Don't panic.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
*Yawn* another doom and gloom thread.

How is Apple "closed"? I can install whatever I want on my Mac. I can install whatever I want on my phone if its in the app store.

As for the app store, just because Apple has standards on what goes on handsets doesn't mean its "closed". Nintendo, Sony, and XBox have standards of what goes on their systems but no one calls them closed.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
People want cheap and open? What is Windows then? :rolleyes:

Don't base your views around stocks. Base it on the products being sold and their uptake.

Apple is going to do pretty well this year. Maybe not in the first part of the year, but the sales are going to be great by December. Trust me, Mac sales are going to be the most they've ever been.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
*Yawn* another doom and gloom thread.

How is Apple "closed"? I can install whatever I want on my Mac. I can install whatever I want on my phone if its in the app store.

As for the app store, just because Apple has standards on what goes on handsets doesn't mean its "closed". Nintendo, Sony, and XBox have standards of what goes on their systems but no one calls them closed.

My thoughts exactly.
I see more Apple stock prices falling for a little while because it was massively over hyped. I see it more leveling off and stop growing or changing much.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
My thoughts exactly.
I see more Apple stock prices falling for a little while because it was massively over hyped. I see it more leveling off and stop growing or changing much.

How was Apple overhyped? How do the financials in relation to stock price demonstrate that Apple was overhyped? Apple has been trading at 15x earnings (see Yahoo! Finance) or lower for a long time. For comparison purposes, Google has historically commanded a multiple of over 20x (Yahoo! Finance) and Amazon currently trades at a P/E 3258x earnings.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Business is cyclical. Apple is at or near a highpoint and may either bump to another crest or slide again. To believe that there will never again be down times at such a large company is unrealistic and ignores business history:

Ford, Microsoft, GM, Coke, Sony, P&G, IBM, etc. all have gone through high and low cycle, Apple has not been and will not be the exception.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
How was Apple overhyped? How do the financials in relation to stock price demonstrate that Apple was overhyped? Apple has been trading at 15x earnings (see Yahoo! Finance) or lower for a long time. For comparison purposes, Google has historically commanded a multiple of over 20x (Yahoo! Finance) and Amazon currently trades at a P/E 3258x earnings.

You are comparing different markets....... Google plays in a different area that Apple. You need to compare them more to others in the same category.

This means margins are different so the multiplier is different.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
An alternative hypothesis:
http://www.marco.org/2013/01/14/apple-cuts-orders-for-iphone-parts

Article title: "Supply-chain error or stock manipulation?"

TL;DR spoiler:
But the biggest reason this smells wrong to me is the timing. Apple’s stock has been depressed for a few months, and many analysts (and much common sense) suggests that it’s probably very underpriced considering Apple’s financials. This news has sent it down another 3% today alone, and it will probably fall further over the next few days.

But next week, Apple reports its earnings for the quarter that included the iPhone 5’s release and the holidays. Most reasonable predictions suggest that it’s going to be very good news. As with good quarterly-earnings reports in the past, the stock could shoot up, and anyone who bought a bunch of it recently at a steep discount could make a lot of money.

This vague, unsourced, mostly speculative article could truly be a sign of a serious misstep at Apple. Or it could be a highly profitable stock manipulation. If I had to guess, I’d bet on the latter, but we’ll have a better idea next Wednesday.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
People want cheap and open? What is Windows then? :rolleyes:

Don't base your views around stocks. Base it on the products being sold and their uptake.

Apple is going to do pretty well this year. Maybe not in the first part of the year, but the sales are going to be great by December. Trust me, Mac sales are going to be the most they've ever been.

Windows isn't cheap :)

----------

Apple don't need to keep "innovating" every five minutes. Maybe just get things right first time.

Don't panic.

Your right Apple doesn't have to, and they are basically as innovative as they were in 2007 when iPhone was announced. But Android has been leap frogging Apple in terms of features. Now those features may be gimmicks but you can not deny people are buying into those gimmicks.

----------

Business is cyclical. Apple is at or near a highpoint and may either bump to another crest or slide again. To believe that there will never again be down times at such a large company is unrealistic and ignores business history:

Ford, Microsoft, GM, Coke, Sony, P&G, IBM, etc. all have gone through high and low cycle, Apple has not been and will not be the exception.

It was never a matter of if, it was a matter of when and if Android was the problem.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apples just fine.

Working above the realities of the current economy as it takes its toll on those less than wealthy, Apples main demographic will keep buying & enjoying their products.

Never less than brilliant, Apple will adjust & offer a cheaper more affordable main stream product as needed. The premium products will continue to sell well and Apple will prosper, even if the company looks a bit different.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
People don't want open, they only want cheap. Open typically means "free" or the ability to circumvent, hack, and get features that they want without paying for them. The virus-ridden bilge that is many PCs in homes across America is a result of the same mentality. If it means free, then people want "Open source." It leaves me surprised at the level of hackjobs that people actually tout on their machines because it gained them some "feature" that they wanted or needed. I understand that people don't have the money to afford some things, but yeah. Google prey's on this mentality particularly well. Has Android won? Not really. Ubuntu phone is on the horizon, and OEMs now see competition with Google's Motorola Unit as a problem. I think there will be something of a correction that will result in a couple more operating systems that will dilute the market and result in price competition in the end. Apple isn't done, and every generation of phone is an opportunity for the competition to take over. If the Galaxy S IV is a flop, then Apple can take back marketshare. And the cycle continues.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
When Steve died, the stock was at 370$. Under Tim Cook, the stock doubled then settled back a bit.

Are you're scared ?

This. More to the point, why do you care?

Apple being forced to compete a little harder will result in better products.

They have a massive war-chest they literally do not know what to do with at the moment. They're safe for a long time to come.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Hey, they could start building something I actually need, like a New MacPro.

I'll pay Six grand for one, but I'm not giving them anything for a phone.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I totally understand that business is cyclical and I know we all saw the Apple rebound in the second tenure of Steve Jobs.

It is important to note that Steve Jobs isn't walking through that door.

I think there is more to this than a "normal" downturn of the cycle. My thought is that Apple is spiraling downward in a big way and it will be hard to reverse that trend.

Tim Cook is not the dynamic leader that Steve Jobs was...not even close. As a matter of fact, Steve Jobs was so "hands on" at Apple that I'm convinced that his death left a void that Apple simply cannot fill.

Only time will tell, but the folks that think this is just a normal part of the cycle may be fooling themselves.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Who cares. Use what is best for you. I think that all these posters "worried about the future of Apple" are really posting to try to drive down the price of Apple stock (shorting the market). What would actually worry me is if these posters didn't realize that Apple is just another company.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I hope Apple doesn't ignore the Mac business. The iOS products can repeat what happened with the iPod but the Mac business seems to just get better. It really is the best product from Apple that the masses don't seem to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.