Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Google maps and YouTube are back and available so that was just a short term thing.

No they are not. Click on a Youtube link in Safari or email. Click on an address in Safari or email. Ask Siri to take you home and see if you get Google Maps. Until we can specify the app and make them default then they are NOT back. And why do I have to have two map apps taking up the very little room I have on my phone? The same goes for the newsstand, weather, stocks and passport.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Sorry, but that's BS. My iPhone 5 looks like it went through a war, plenty of scuffs and damage on the finish (I don't have a case), but you know what ? I've dropped it every chance I had, on hard floors, the gym's wooden bunch, sent it flying while doing some ab workout once.
You, sir, should be banished from iPhone ownership. Have a little respect why dontcha!

Michael

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The most accurate statement in this thread. :apple:

If you think that's the most accurate, then I see why misinformation is heralded in these forums.

Been using my IP5 without a case since day 1 and don't have a scratch on it.
Take care of your tools and stop bitching.

I think people take scratches just a little to seriously. The device won't look new forever.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No they are not. Click on a Youtube link in Safari or email. Click on an address in Safari or email. Ask Siri to take you home and see if you get Google Maps. Until we can specify the app and make them default then they are NOT back. And why do I have to have two map apps taking up the very little room I have on my phone? The same goes for the newsstand, weather, stocks and passport.

Google maps takes up about as much space as 1 song....6.7 MB

But by all means, continue to cry for the sake of crying....:rolleyes:

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
One word - differentiation.

Mature market equals differentiation. And if Apple is not coming along with more 'evident options' they will loose out. It is as simple as that!

With Apples R&D and engineering skills there is no reason not to make a product line that differentiates better than today!

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Elongating the iPhone 4/4S was a huge mistake. Apple could have added another row of icons by simply making the screen itself the button and remove the current one. Lost opportunity to do something cutting edge rather than simply elongate the body. No wonder Tim Cook hangs on to his iPhone 4S- it's a better design. Seeing that on Rock Center really killed it for me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Google maps takes up about as much space as 1 song....6.7 MB

But by all means, continue to cry for the sake of crying....:rolleyes:

And the solution to the other issues the poster brought up? I'm all ears. I'd love to have Google Maps brought up instead of iOS Maps when clicking a link on Safari.

janvandervoort

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2005
Vlimmeren, Belgium
Too expensive

I used Apple products since the Apple III. I will never privately own a Windows PC. (I have one at work and it just doesn't cut it...)
Now, when it comes to the iPhone: as a Belgian expat, I bought an iPhone on contract with Orange Botswana. After 1/2 year I was transferred to South Africa, paid the balance to Orange only to see my iPhone completely useless in South Africa (contrary to promises from Orange). So, thank you, no contracts for me anymore!
Last Christmas I ditched my trusted Nokia 320 for an Android Samsung Pocket. 899 Rand (103US$), no contract. The iPhone5 on the other hand goes for +1,200US$. The Galaxy SIII goes for 700US$. All unlocked.
My short experience is that the Android apps are definitely less polished/user friendly than the Apple counterparts. But hey, I have my email (Gmail+mac mail), Skype, Currency converter e.a.
The Galaxy SIII is way too big for my liking. If the iPhone gets more reasonably priced, I'll ditch the Galaxy Pocket without remorse. For now: iPhone pricing is simply unacceptably high!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How is giving consumers what they want equal to "dumb its devices down"? Have you looked at some of the innovative features in Android smart phones? Have you held a Galaxy S3? I have, and I'll tell you - and I'm a big Apple fan and stockholder - Samsung is on to something with that large screen. The reason Apple simply made the iPhone 5 taller, but not wider, is because it required a minimum of re-engineering and otherwise software changes to accommodate the taller form factor.

I have, and I think it's too big. What's next? Should Apple put a speaker on the iPad Mini and sell that as a superphone?

I think we may look back at the huge phones of today the same way we look at fins on cars.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
I feel like a real idiot for not selling my stock in 2012 as its likely to drop to below 450 this week. Not as much of an idiot like the ones that want a six inch smartphone screen that are going to make the iPhone the next betamax , but an idiot none the less .

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If you think that's the most accurate, then I see why misinformation is heralded in these forums.

I think people take scratches just a little to seriously. The device won't look new forever.

+1....the crying over scratches (and subsequent denial about how they happen) is right up there with those whining about Apple Maps - granted, a few may be adversely affect (proportionate to the entire community who owns an iP5) - at least with Maps its not user error.....though I suspect in both cases there are those waiting to crawl out of the woodwork to complain.

As long as Apple is successful, there will be those predicting their demise. Be careful what you (general) wish for - these companies need each other. Apple pushed and spurred the whole smartphone revolution. Now Android pushes Apple to innovate or be run over. This is how things should be.

And both have merit for the strategies they pursue.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
not surprised really

I found it a "meh" upgrade

The real innovation going forward is in the OS I think, not so much in the hardware.

LTE alone is a worthwhile upgrade (if you live in an area with LTE)

Remember all the folks who said Apple was crazy to release the 4S without LTE in today's market?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
And the solution to the other issues the poster brought up? I'm all ears. I'd love to have Google Maps brought up instead of iOS Maps when clicking a link on Safari.

Defaulting to a specific app has ALWAYS been an issue in iOS 6. There are some great alternatives to the stock youtube app (which is worse than the web version).

And what's so terrible about clicking a link and going to the web? I've never had a problem playing a youtube video over safari. A lot of apps will run the youtube video in-app as well.

I'm not getting into maps. No matter how many people say this, it doesn't matter. I, PERSONALLY, have had ZERO issue with maps. If I tell it to take me home, it does - and I live in a brand new sub-division.

Being able to set default apps is nothing new. Apple got rid of the maps app for reasons that have been discussed at length - and ones I don't feel like debating. As for YouTube - the app always sucked and it IS a google service. You expect Apple to offer google services standard in their phones when google serves as a direct competitor?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
So you're saying that "numerous scuffs and scratches" appeared "from no contact whatsoever"?

So you are disappointed by Apple making a poor choice with respect to how poorly the aluminum holds up to.....invisible forces scuffing your phone?

It cracks me up the lengths people will go to to be disappointed in a device that isn't quite what they wanted or expected....

What the hell is wrong with so many of you? I'll be responding one last time to this issue and then I'm done with this thread.

The iPhone 5 is prone to scuffs, dents, and scratches on its edges. This can happen even if you never drop your phone or carry your phone with anything on your front pocket. This is a fact echoed by countless MR members.

Why does this happen? A combination of the anodized aluminum Apple choose to use along with the chamfered edges which will inevitably show signs of damage even if you baby your phone. The only way to avoid this is to use a good case.

As a previous 3G and 4 iPhone user I can tell you that the 5 does not hold up even without dropping your phone. It looks beautiful out if the box but it absolutely will show signs of damage even after a short period of time if you go caseless. People saying otherwise are full of it.

Apple choose aesthetic beauty over durability. It was a big mistake. I'm appalled by this but the bigger issue is that consumers want a larger and wider screen iPhone.

And with that, goodbye.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
At this point, pretty much anyone who wants an iPhone already has one. Plus most people upgrade every 2 or 3 years, not every year. This decline was bound to happen at some point. The iPhone will never again sell like it did in the last 5 years.

Then again... every single day there is somebody who has reached the end of their contract and are looking to upgrade.

I'm not eligible to upgrade until August 28, 2013... but there are millions of people across the globe ready to upgrade today... tomorrow... the next day... and beyond.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Well I just bought an iPhone 5 yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it. Not a huge upgrade from my iPhone 4 but it is a lot zippier and it has Siri.

I refunded my Nexus 4 yesterday too. I was on my 3rd one. 1st one stopped booting after a day of use, the glass on the back of my 2nd one "spontaneously" cracked (I know..I know..I *must* have done something to cause it but if I did that is some seriously weak glass), and the 3rd didn't have a working front facing camera.

I purchased my unlocked "Straight Talk" 16GB White iPhone 5 from WalMart using their no-interest for 26 month financing and so far the whole device is flawless. Best of all if there IS a problem I know I can just take it to the Apple Store and they will get it sorted out for me immediately as oppose to waiting for weeks for Google Play Store support.

I'm definitely never buying another phone made my LG. I liked the Android OS. The software was nice. I like iOS just the same though and would rather have rock solid hardware than worrying about when my device was going to break next.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Why not. iPad mini could double as a phone. Actually it already has stereo speakers ;)

It's all about options. Mature market means more options. It is as obvious as it can get that a large portion of the market desires larger phones - period. Does apple want to sell to that market. Probably yes. Especially now when and if they see the demand dwindle.

Hopefully - Apple should - see this and work on counter-measure.

That said - I think iPhone is the best phone. Especially considering the software design, UX and consistency of quality of apps. But many people don't see this or care about it.

I have, and I think it's too big. What's next? Should Apple put a speaker on the iPad Mini and sell that as a superphone?

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
People reeeallly need to stop throwing the word 'innovative' around so much. There's been nothing innovative in the smartphone space since the introduction of the iPhone 3G! A larger screen is not innovative. LTE is not innovative. NFC is not innovative. These are all just incremental improvements.

The whole concept of a multitouch smartphone where the entire screen is a touch surface and that runs apps? That was innovative.

Samsung and Google certainly haven't been innovative either, though their OS might look fresher. A shiny new coat of paint and fresh UI is not 'innovative'! Okay, I'll stop now.

Google Now, despite how creepy it might be, is actually pretty innovative, or at least the first steps towards innovation.

The problem is that a lot of other smartphones have finally caught up to the iphone level. iPhone went from the only "usable" (as in, lag free, very responsive touchscreen, lots of useful apps, etc.\), to one of many "usable" smartphone.

Windows Phone 8 works just fine for everyday things if you don't mind an app store that's a little smaller. Same with a bunch of android phones like the s3 and nexus. They are all now very comparable smartphones to the iPhone. Where as a year or two ago, this was not the case.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I'm appalled by this but the bigger issue is that consumers want a larger and wider screen iPhone.

Some consumers. Some only who are quite vocal and quite possibly all of them frequent forums like this one, where not even all of us here on MR want bigger (I want an iPhone Nano).

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
I feel like a real idiot for not selling my stock in 2012 as its likely to drop to below 450 this week. Not as much of an idiot like the ones that want a six inch smartphone screen that are going to make the iPhone the next betamax , but an idiot none the less .

Perfectly understandable why you would feel like that. Since you think it's likely to drop another 10% this week, go ahead a sell it all now, and short some more while you're at it. You'll probably get Thank You cards from the hedge funds and other manipulators.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
Everyone knowing it going to happen. Iphone 5 is no winner and it all because Apple too afraid to make big change because they think their lucky will run out. If Iphone 6 design flop like Iphone 5 they stock will go nose dive and if they walmart size stores start to losing money you will seeing panic. Wise thing is selling stock and count you blessing.

Has nothing to do with the phone. Just because the government tells you the economy is sound, that doesn't make it so. At the end of the day, people need money to buy all these fancy gadgets. We've become credit dependent, government dependent, and we're slowly running out of capital. anyone competent enough to read the daily indices knows exactly what's going on.

Make plans, it's about to get ugly. Paying the Visa with the MasterCard doesn't solve anything.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Of course Apple has weak demand, everyone already has an iPhone. The more they keep releasing, the less new customers there will be.

Not quite.

Every single day of the year there is somebody ready to upgrade.

In the last 4 quarters Apple has sold an average of between 280,000 and 410,000 iPhones every day.

Don't get caught up in "launch-day" statistics... thinking people only buy iPhones the first day.

Apple sells iPhones throughout the entire year.

There are thousands of people who signed a contract on January 14, 2011... and today it's time to get a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.