Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
2) Some will argue this, but there is malware on the Mac, so I would recommend installing an antivirus program. I personally like Avast and Sophos and they are both free.
Yes, there is Mac OS X malware in the wild (no viruses, just a handful of trojans), but it can all be easily avoided by practicing safe computing. There is no need to install any antivirus app, as none of those apps will provide any greater protection than practicing safe computing. I especially recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
I just got my 27" iMac a few days ago (they actually had the EXACT build I wanted at the Apple store, so I didn't have to order it!). I too am a virgin to Mac; I have been a power PC user and gamer since the late 90's, and never thought I'd ever buy a Mac.

It all started after I owned 2 Android phones in a row. I am fickle with my tech toys, so I eventually got bored with the Android OS and wanted to see what all the iPhone hype was about since Verizon had finally got them on their network...that was about a year ago. I then bought the Apple TV, then an iPad, because I loved the way they all natively worked together.

My PC hardware had been getting more and more obsolete the past couple of years, and I wasn't able to run Battlefield 3 on it, so I had been thinking about upgrading the hardware. Since I already owned so many Apple products now, I started considering an iMac because I love the way it looks and the fact that it is an all-in-one unit. After 3 days of ownership, I am extremely happy with it and have got over my buyers remorse for spending the $2,500 that I dropped on the high-end model!

My advice is to do what I did and immediately use Bootcamp and install Windows on a hard drive partition. This is like my security blanket, because I know I still have the OS that I have used for so long just a few clicks away. After the Bootcamp install, I also installed VMWare so I can access the Windows partition through OSX as well. However, you'll want to actually restart and boot into Windows for PC gaming. By the way, Battlefield 3 runs GREAT on the Windows partition!

It's taking some time for me to learn how to navigate through the OSX files, but I'm quickly learning because OSX organizes everything so well...I think everything is beginning to click and its starting to come a little more naturally. If things keep going this well, I don't see myself building anymore PCs in the future!

I have also been checking out forums like this one and online articles to try to pick up tips and tricks, and just to learn more about how OSX works. Surprisingly, the basic principles are still there...it's kind of like the speaking the same language, but with a thick accent.

Good luck with your new computer!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have also been checking out forums like this one and online articles to try to pick up tips and tricks, and just to learn more about how OSX works.
Check out the links in post #37 of this thread. They may be useful for you.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, there is Mac OS X malware in the wild (no viruses, just a handful of trojans), but it can all be easily avoided by practicing safe computing. There is no need to install any antivirus app, as none of those apps will provide any greater protection than practicing safe computing. I especially recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

Thanks for the info. Back when I assisted with virus/malware security at the corporate level Sophos had a great reputation. Thanks for informing me about their issues on Macs. What about Avast? Do you know if it runs with Elevated privileges?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the info. Back when I assisted with virus/malware security at the corporate level Sophos had a great reputation. Thanks for informing me about their issues on Macs. What about Avast? Do you know if it runs with Elevated privileges?
No, it doesn't. I haven't heard of any problems with Avast. ClamXAV is the only such app I recommend, but I'm sure there are others that aren't resource hogs, don't run with elevated privileges and have good reputations.

Hasn'tbeensober

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Seen you guys talking about Virus and stuff,.
Can you explain lillte more about Java latest update.
Should I update it?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Great thread as I am also changing after thousands of years as a PC user....but I do have an iPad and iPhone to help. Simple question: I hate iTunes 11 but I have upgraded on the PC. Not sure what version will come on the new iMac but is there any way to avoid 11 on the new machine? I know to transfer the library they are supposed to be the same version.

Gavzooka

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2013
I'm also in the process of moving over from Windows to OS X after a life time of being a technical person within Microsoft Environments.

I was always against OS X until I got a Mac Book Pro over Xmas. I love OS X now....I'm far from an expert but it feels so much smoother and intuitive than Windows. I have a 3 year refresh cycle for my home PC on which I try to buy the best each time due to the nature of my work (and I'm a games player too), therefore I've just dropped the last 3 years savings on a top spec iMac 27" instead which is due in Feb...really can't wait.

Some of the links in this thread seem really useful...thanks...I'm sure I'll be leaping knee deep in to the technical support side of Macs before long with the help on here....

I've ordered Parrallels 8 with the iMac. I'm hoping that will be good for ensuring I have Windows 7 for my normal remote working (as my company is MS based and we develop, etc) but also allow me to run games that I enjoy. Will it? I now it may push it but I play BF3 and other demanding games, will it cope or will I need to keep my PC rigged up still?

n-i-k-k-o

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2007
Calne, Wiltshire, UK
Buy this book

When I switched from PC to Mac back in 2007, I bought this book:

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Mountain Lion Edition (Missing Manuals) [Paperback]
David Pogue (Author)

You can find it on Amazon for less than 20 bucks. I can't recommend it highly enough - I never looked back!

Nikko

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
I've ordered Parrallels 8 with the iMac. I'm hoping that will be good for ensuring I have Windows 7 for my normal remote working (as my company is MS based and we develop, etc) but also allow me to run games that I enjoy. Will it? I now it may push it but I play BF3 and other demanding games, will it cope or will I need to keep my PC rigged up still?

You'll want to install Windows on a Bootcamp partition on your hard drive. Parallels 8 or other emulators won't run your games.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I always like to go back to this thread in Apple communities when pondering the whole Windows to OSX switch. It's excruciating to read through, but captures the topic perfectly (including the cast of characters therein, ha):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3272818

Anyway after having spent 3 weeks exclusively in OSX after being a 20+ year Windows user is:

• Finder is a pain compared to Explorer, but once you figure out Saved Searches you start to realize its potential.
  • Keyboard shortcuts are essential in OSX as opposed to Windows.
  • Resizing windows using the mouse/pointer isn't as good with OSX, and window focus in particular is a pain (like a small dialog box within an App disappearing into the background on you) but once you start using Mission Control things get a bit easier.
  • I've never read so much about Terminal commands in my life, whereas in Windows I rarely used CMD prompt.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, too. But it's been a fun ride overall.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I'll add a few things as a recent user; most appear minor, but the major one is the wonkiness of the USB ports and external drives. For my needs, leaving out an internal optical drive is a total PITA because I do use them, and having an external is marginal. I am having problems with my backup TM drive disconnecting whenever the iMac goes to sleep, an issue others have had as well. I suspect this is due to a poorly implemented USB function. The drive in question doesn't disconnect on my son's Mac Pro. Agree that dealing with the windows is much more irritating than on a PC (but maybe not Windows 8). One little thing I miss, as minor as it sounds, is the scroll wheel; the Magic Mouse is great and scrolls well, but with a PC on a browser you can automatically open a new window for a bookmark by clicking the scroll wheel. On a Mac you have to manually open a window and click the bookmark. I also hate the way it deals with Photostream (essentially all the files are unavailable to normal people). Most importantly for me, I HATE keyboard shortcuts, and that is turning out to be a major irritant. Also for a company that made it's fortune initially on music, the speakers are absolutely pathetic. There are lots of good things about it....it's fast, attractive and I love the keyboard (I am using the wired; I like it much better than the wireless). So far the transition is going about as I expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.