Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What the hell is wrong with so many of you? I'll be responding one last time to this issue and then I'm done with this thread.

The iPhone 5 is prone to scuffs, dents, and scratches on its edges. This can happen even if you never drop your phone or carry your phone with anything on your front pocket. This is a fact echoed by countless MR members.

Why does this happen? A combination of the anodized aluminum Apple choose to use along with the chamfered edges which will inevitably show signs of damage even if you baby your phone. The only way to avoid this is to use a good case.

As a previous 3G and 4 iPhone user I can tell you that the 5 does not hold up even without dropping your phone. It looks beautiful out if the box but it absolutely will show signs of damage even after a short period of time if you go caseless. People saying otherwise are full of it.

Apple choose aesthetic beauty over durability. It was a big mistake. I'm appalled by this but the bigger issue is that consumers want a larger and wider screen iPhone.

And with that, goodbye.

Lol - as an owner of two black iPhone 5's used naked, I can tell you we're not "full of it".

Adios!

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Since the dock connector was made to fit the previous generation iPad nano, which is a mere fraction of the size of any smartphone, then I don't buy that.

Michael

No. The previous generation iPod nano (and all iDevices utilizing that connector) were made to fit around that older connector, not the other way around.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Apple needs to come out with a tough ad campaign against Samsung like it did against the PC. It also needs a major overhaul design of the OS. Plus integrated more with Apple TV and hopefully an actual TV design by Apple.

Needs to bring the Apps Store to Apple TV. That way they can start bringing Games and Apps. Many people have purchased many apps/music/movies/games on their iPhone/iPods/iPads that they would love to use it on their TVs. I'm sure the Devs would love it too because that would mean extra sales.

Also add more business friendly stuff to the iPhone/iPads like a Pen/Stylus. They really have to do something a bit radical. Give more freedom in the OS department like themes and widgets.
This isn't about advertising...it's about product. iPhone 5 is a weaker product than the Samsung Note 2 or GS3, this is reality.

I can read this forum and see the same blah, blah, blah from the same 5 or 6 users that claim they don't want a bigger screen, they don't want NFC, they don't want Multi-screen, blah, blah, blah.

I just don't buy it. The brand loyalty around here is mind numbing...at some point, common sense has to take over. I would never go as far to say Apple is "done", but if they don't give in to user demands on the iPhone, then they will be done in the smartphone department in no time.

Regular people (not techies) are figuring it out...the Samsung mobile offerings are flat out better than Apple. This isn't about brand loyalty, this is about facts.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Lol - as an owner of two black iPhone 5's used naked, I can tell you we're not "full of it".

Adios!

Agree! I've had my black 5 since the beginning of November with no case and I have very very minimal wear and tear on it.

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
When the CEO personally lugs around the prior iPhone on national TV you're in trouble.
The new iPhone looks cheap in comparison to prior models-like a Chinese rip off.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Since we are dealing with rumors of course, there is an article of Forbes that mentioned it was already predicted that Apple would cut back to 30 mil orders in the Jan - Mar quarter. Putting it into some perspective with other rumors, Samsung has sold 30 million GS3's at the time of CES and LG has sold a total of 500,000 Nexus 4's (or 60x less than the amount of iPhone 5's estimated for the next 3 months).

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Nowhere in that statement does it single out iPhones for having the best quarterly sales. While entirely possible - that's not what the release says.

It has been reported that something like 75% of AT&T smartphone sales are iPhones...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Idiotic because MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of 30-pin compatible devices are already in consumer's homes around the world.

Switching from Mini DVI to Mini Display Port to Thunderbolt is NOT the same thing. I don't lug my MacBook Pro around connecting it to my car, to my boom box, to my other car, to the dock on my stereo system, to the dock in a friend's car, to the 30-pin connector in a rental car, to the 30-pin connector on the clock radio in a hotel room, etc...etc. Generally, people don't do that with an iPad either. But MILLIONS of people want to do it with their iPhone.

There was NOTHING "broken" about the 30-pin connector. Except, of course, in Apple's eyes because the ability to profit from licensing the connector had reached terminus.

Mark

True... over the last 10 years the 30-pin dock connector got into everything. It's pretty much everywhere.

Who's to say over the next 10 years the same thing won't happen again with the Lightning connector?

The 30 pin dock connector when from zero-to-everywhere... just wait for the Lightning connector to do the same.

(at least Apple has those connectors... an Android phone won't charge in the hotel clock-radio at all)

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Secondly, the 400+ PPI actually does make a difference in certain situations, such as:
- you hold the phone closer than the typical user does
- you have eyesight which is greater than 20:20; with 20:15 vision 400 PPI at a typical distance would be right on the threshold of Retina

I can discern the pixels on retina displays. Looks way better than "SD" screens (which now drive me nuts for being so grainy in comparison), but still ain't perfectly smooth.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I purchased my unlocked "Straight Talk" 16GB White iPhone 5 from WalMart using their no-interest for 26 month financing and so far the whole device is flawless. Best of all if there IS a problem I know I can just take it to the Apple Store and they will get it sorted out for me immediately as oppose to waiting for weeks for Google Play Store support.

You might want to check and see if getting support at the Apple Store for the Straight Talk iPhone is true. I have seen where people who bought a Cricket iPhone have complained that Apple told them that they don't support the Cricket iPhone.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
This doesn't surprise me for two reasons.

1 The iPhone 5 wasn't that much of a spec upgrade compared to the 4S. It was significantly thinner and lighter, but that doesn't matter enough to most people to get them to make a £600 upgrade.

They should have given customers more 'bang for their buck', rather than just a slimmer form factor, and longer screen.

2 The rumours of an early refresh in Mid 2013 seem quite possible give the horrifically short time between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 upgrades. People don't want to get burned twice.

(and yes, I bought an ipad 3)

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Been using my IP5 without a case since day 1 and don't have a scratch on it.
Take care of your tools and stop bitching.

I was expecting a reply from your sort. Our devices are all subject to different use, I don't know whether you rarely use your iPhone or just value your life on a mobile device. But for most of us our phones will become subject to constant change, from moving the device from rigid jean pockets to placing them on the desk. I took more care of my iPhone 5 than any other phone, and yet it the anodised coat came off so easily, in my eyes such a design flaw which reflects badly on everyday users.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Google maps takes up about as much space as 1 song....6.7 MB

But by all means, continue to cry for the sake of crying....:rolleyes:
You ignored the main point of his reply. Bravo.

But ignoring it won't change the fact that it is ludicrous that Apple does not allow the changing of default applications. I am sorry but I use Chrome as my browser of choice and not Safari. I have no desire whatsoever for links encountered in email to open in Safari. Yet that is exactly what happens.

Michael

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Archaic OS, tired design. When your ad campaign focuses on stupid stuff like noise canceling microphones, you have a problem. And also LOL Maps.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
No. The previous generation iPod nano (and all iDevices utilizing that connector) were made to fit around that older connector, not the other way around.

Sorry. That makes no sense. The previous gen nano is a postage stamp compared to the iPhone 5. And it works just fine with the dock connector.

The idea of all my chargers/docks/accessories that used the dock connector suddenly becoming useless was not the deciding factor in my saying NO to the iPhone 5, but it certainly was a factor. This is from someone who had not skipped a new iPhone other than the 3G (only because there was no 3G where I lived yet).

If anything it was very poor timing on Apple's part. Don't release an incremental update and do something like that.

Mike

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
When your ad campaign focuses on stupid stuff like noise canceling microphones, you have a problem. And also LOL Maps.

Samsung's ads focus on people waiting in line... something that happens only ONE day a year.

(but with online pre-orders... waiting in line is now obsolete)

But hey... it seems to be working. Samsung is the #1 smartphone manufacturer by sales. That must mean they're "winning"

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Haven't the last few weeks (even months) been filled with rumors like "Apple to update iPhone even sooner than expected"? Wasn't there talk of a 5S, even a 6, already under development?

So how is this a surprise to anyone?

Ramping down parts supply for the iPhone 5 would be expected if they are planning a early release of the iPhone 5s/6.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
You might want to check and see if getting support at the Apple Store for the Straight Talk iPhone is true. I have seen where people who bought a Cricket iPhone have complained that Apple told them that they don't support the Cricket iPhone.

Its just an unlocked GSM phone. Nothing fancy about it but I'll be sure to double check. Apple Store had better support this because I paid full price for the unlocked model (damn it!).

Not sure exactly, but I'll check with the Apple Store before taking it to them.

It did strike me as odd that the iPhone 5 for Straigh talk was SIM-less. There is a SIM slot and what I read is that if you put a SIM into the phone, it will override the Straight Talk settings. My understanding though is if you "activated" any unlocked GSM phone with Straight Talk and enter the IMEI then it should all work just the same but I may be mistaken.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Exactly.

Sorry. That makes no sense. The previous gen nano is a postage stamp compared to the iPhone 5. And it works just fine with the dock connector.
If you look at the teardown of iPod nano 6. The dock connector represents ~30% of the PCB. That isn't a good trade. Maybe this way they can actually build a shuffle with lightning instead of the headphone jack thing.

The idea of all my chargers/docks/accessories that used the dock connector suddenly becoming useless was not the deciding factor in my saying NO to the iPhone 5, but it certainly was a factor. This is from someone who had not skipped a new iPhone other than the 3G (only because there was no 3G where I lived yet).

That's odd. My wife continues to use her favorite dock and built-in auto interface fine using the Apple provided adapters. (I charge mine using the USB cable and an iPad brick). Yes, it would have been nice if they included one with the iPhone 5, but very little has actually become useless.

If anything it was very poor timing on Apple's part. Don't release an incremental update and do something like that.

Timing is never good to get rid of legacy connectors/features, yet Apple has a long history of doing just that. Floppy drives, ADB, ODD, Firewire, ... Gone. Gone. Gone. Not coming back. Use an adapter during the transition period and move on.

B

dkostner

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Weak demand? How about availability?

I would gladly purchase an iPhone 5. Problem is, Virgin Mobile does not offer it for their pre-paid plan.

Sprint offers it for their contract plan. Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network. My understanding, from reading various web sites, is that they won't allow a Virgin iPhone 5 IMEI on their own (Sprint's) network. I'd love to know the reason behind that, because it seems bone-headed to me.

End result: I cannot not purchase an iPhone 5 because someone doesn't want it to work with Virgin mobile. It's an artificial barrier, but there it is.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Don't be silly. It's a PHONE for chrissakes. What exactly do you want Apple to do to the form factor? Make it pink, glow in the dark, and cover it in feathers?

There is no "revolutionary redesign" to the smartphone form factor on the horizon. Not from Apple, not from anyone else. All the innovation will be in software and services.
This is where the flawed thinking comes in. It is not just a "PHONE"! It's a communications device for productivity, networking and staying connected to the office or any hub while on the go.

Innovate or be left behind, period. I'm glad you weren't the person charged with advancing television. Judging by your comments, I'm sure you would have looked at black and white tv and said, "what else are we to do, we've reached the pinnacle!!"

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
The smart phone market is due for another shakeup but I just can't imagine what new technology or gimmick will cause a huge swell in demand again seeing how virtually all flagship phones from al the major brands are the same.

Flexible phones, curved screens, tactile screens, foldable screens... Whats the new thing thats could possible set this off again?

I would like to see Apple revisit the OS and freshen that up a bit.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Just because people say Android has some advantages doesn't mean their trolling.

Just seems someone can't handle the truth that iOS isn't necessarily the best now.

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion, coming from a GS3, i find iOS to be much more polished and secure, the iPhone app store is still leagues ahead of Google Play espcially in the games section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.