Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hey
I have a 24" 2.8ghz 2008 with a defect 256 MB Radeon HD 2600 PRO

I also have a 20" 2.16ghz with a 128 MB Radeon HD 2400 XT.

Will i be able to put the graphic card from the 20" and put into the 24"

thanks

P.S sorry for my poor english :)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hey

thanks

No, unfortunately not.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Hey

thanks

If you can find it and you want a better card look for the nVidia 8800GSX 512, thats the card they also used for those machines and it will fit as well.
The problem is that the cards Apple uses are very specific to apple machines, no one else uses them so replacements are going to be difficult to find, not impossable just difficult. You may be able to find one/order one through an Applestore if you can't find it elsewhere.

Good luck

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If you can find it and you want a better card look for the nVidia 8800GSX 512, thats the card they also used for those machines and it will fit as well.
The problem is that the cards Apple uses are very specific to apple machines, no one else uses them so replacements are going to be difficult to find, not impossable just difficult. You may be able to find one/order one through an Applestore if you can't find it elsewhere.

Good luck

As long as the card you get was shipped with a mac of the same age it'll be fine.

You *can* use (much cheaper) generic MXM cards - but you need to find and flash Apple's vBios to them, and they need to be a supported model. Not an easy task by any stretch.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
As long as the card you get was shipped with a mac of the same age it'll be fine.

You *can* use (much cheaper) generic MXM cards - but you need to find and flash Apple's vBios to them, and they need to be a supported model. Not an easy task by any stretch.

The cards are available, just not easy to find on the open market. To get either the one he has or the nVidia the OP is likely going to have to go through an AppleStore as a repair (I did it last year but I was still covered by AppleCare - well it had just expired a month before the card failed but they covered me anyway). You will pay too much for the card $250+- + $40 for the repair but it's still cheaper than a new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.