Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
It can't do that?? So my GFs 2009 vintage MBP is out in the cold? Jeez!

Nope. It's a Thunderbolt display, not a Cinema display only TB macs and no non macs. There are currently no DVI to Thunderbolt adapters. Thunderbolt to DVI yes, but not the other way around.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
They're probably bringing out one with less connectivity that's half a mm thinner and charging insignificantly less for it then using spin to make everyone think they've practically re-invented the monitor.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Does the Dell 2713 have fused glass and edge-to-edge AR coating? That combination makes the 2012 iMac display MUCH better than the 2011 one. A display lacking those features wouldn't be worth nearly as much to me.

Yes good point, but I was Commenting about the 2011 Thunderbolt Display, Not a new one that hasn't come out yet.

It'll be nice if the features of the display on the 2012 iMac carried over. Having said that it doesn't mean I can afford one!

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
$1000 isn't outlandish for an IPS display running at 2560x1400. Competitors are in the $7-800s, without ports and docking ability.
Yeah, but those monitors can also be paired with more than just Thunderbolt Macs... It's a high premium for a device with very restricted utility, despite how well it may perform its intended role.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
No, I think $700 would be a very reasonable price. It's really nice to have a dock and a 27" screen bundled into one, but the fact that it is only compatible with Thunderbolt Macs severely limits its utility.

$699 Thunderbolt Display = $250 iPad Mini = Not gonna happen from Apple

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Yeah, but those monitors can also be paired with more than just Thunderbolt Macs... It's a high premium for a device with very restricted utility, despite how well it may perform its intended role.

So because the monitor won't work with your computer you think it should be sold $300 cheaper than what it currently is?

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Bring back matte! Bring back matte!

Return of the matte! Come on. Enough of these headache inducing mirror displays.

+1 - Still using and old 23" Cinema Display because it's matte, but now it's very thick 4 cm compared to the latest iMac 0,8 mm !

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
I wonder if they will bring the price down, I have the older 24 inch version of this before they discontinued it and would consider the upgrade to the 27 inch.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Yes. But the meaning of the retina changes with the distance, it's not a fixed 300dpi value.

On my iMac I enabled the HiDPI modes (which effectively gives you four pixels to one in the display) and it looks freaking gorgeous, however it is also at half-the previous screen size which doesn't work out so well. I would like to have a display that would let me run about a 1080 resolution with the HiDPI mode so that things were a little bigger on the screen, but also crisper. I know it's coming, but it may take a while to get manufacturing capable of meeting production demands.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm torn between buying this new TDB or waiting for a year or so more to get a 4K monitor. At the distance I'd be sitting, that would pretty much be a Retina display.

However, with HiDPI on it would only give you an effective resolution of 1080p, unless using scaling which would sacrifice performances.

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
How awesome would it be if Apple started putting in graphics cards in these displays? Obviously it would have to be a build option when ordering online. The idea of being able to get iMac graphics capabilities in MacBooks seems like a great idea. Hell, even iMac owners could benefit from it, assuming Apple could get SLI/Cross-fire functionality.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Whatever happened to all those ultra-high resolution icons that Apple was designing?

Wouldn't that argue for a 4K monitor? Sign me up for a 4K 30" OLED ACD with matte screen please!!!! :D

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009

Because my main display and iPad 4 are parked about the same distance away from my eyes, and the latter looks MUCH better: for one, I'm looking at a screenful of gritty pixels; for the other, I'm looking looking at a glossy magazine page.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
They're not going to bring the price down. When was the last time they lowered the price on a product refresh? Their M-O is keep roughly (or exactly) the same price point and implement new features/design.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love it if they did, but there would be no reason for them to lower the price on a new TB display. Plus, then we'd just have to suffer through the "OMG I JUST BOUGHT A TB DISPLAY YESTERDAY NOW IT'S CHEAPER WTF :apple: :mad::mad::mad:" posts that will flood the forums the next day.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'd prefer a retina 21" to a regular 27", but that probably won't happen. My 30" is way-too big, in my opinion. Even 27" are bulkier than necessary, but they are probably good for graphic artists. How much more can they do to a monitor these days? Without being fatuous by including a heap of obtuse ports or controls.

They'll do the wafer-thin edges, probably move the ports up to a bulge.

$999. I can't see Apple ever cutting the price down. Insane price, but it's Apple quality. I'd prefer my main monitor to be Apple over all other manufactures.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
One issue with the current Thunderbolt Display is the lack of audio out. There's various ways I can workaround this without plugging in to the jack on the laptop itself (Bluetooth A2DP, USB audio interfaces, streaming audio to an Airport Express, etc), but I really think it should be part of the display. Extra points if in addition to an analog audio out, they give some sort of digital audio out like TOSLINK, mini-TOSLINK or even HDMI.

The other issue I have is general bugginess of the USB ports (at least when used with a rMBP). I can workaround the issues by attaching a hub to the ports, but this needs to be fixed. Not sure if it's the display or the rMBP, though.

Edit: Oh, and also I think the glossy finish is especially reflective. Much worse than the glossy HP display I used before this. I prefer matte, but it's just not going to happen with this display. That's ok, I close my blinds when the sun is shining through.

Last edited:

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
They're probably bringing out one with less connectivity that's half a mm thinner and charging insignificantly less for it then using spin to make everyone think they've practically re-invented the monitor.

Surely these kinds of remarks are getting tiresome even for trolls. :rolleyes:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I'm torn between buying this new TDB or waiting for a year or so more to get a 4K monitor. At the distance I'd be sitting, that would pretty much be a Retina display.

However, with HiDPI on it would only give you an effective resolution of 1080p, unless using scaling which would sacrifice performances.

HiDPI modes are technically scaling since they are not at the native resolution of the display, (but as I said look great). And on a 27" display the highest HiDPI mode you can get is 1280 X 720. I wish I could get 1080 out of it.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Why dont these have an hdmi input aswell? Or do they am I reading it wrong???

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
No, I think $700 would be a very reasonable price. It's really nice to have a dock and a 27" screen bundled into one, but the fact that it is only compatible with Thunderbolt Macs severely limits its utility.

Why would they lower their profit margin just because they use a superior and more expensive connectivity? It's not their problem if the PC industry has no interest in Thunderbolt. It still is the most elegant solution you can get for a Mac, and as always, Apple choses elegancy over standards compliance. Having said that, I would still appreciate an HDMI input as well as the Thunderbolt cable, but I definitely wouldn't trade the Thunderbolt cable for an HDMI input.

Take a look at other monitors using the same LG 27" 2560x1440 IPS panel, you'll see they cost the same while being made out of plastic and having no webcam, no speakers, no FireWire/Thunderbolt/Ethernet hub, no charger for your laptop and a lower resale value.

If on top of that Apple is the first one to deliver that same great panel but this time laminated to glass, it'll be even better for the price.

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
HiDPI modes are technically scaling since they are not at the native resolution of the display, (but as I said look great). And on a 27" display the highest HiDPI mode you can get is 1280 X 720. I wish I could get 1080 out of it.

On a 4K display like he mentioned, "Looks like 1080P" HiDPI mode would not require scaling. OSX would output the full 3840x2160, but because it's HiDPI mode you would get the effective "real estate" of a 1080P display.

The only thing that would be scaled would be applications which aren't HiDPI-aware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.