Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Probably not for a while...

It's fair to say the 5 will be ligher and more efficient but where does everyone see the tablet market progressing to in the next few years?

What are long term changes you'd like to see in the iPad?

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Honestly I'm still amazed at how fast and how good my iPad 3 looks. I don't see what they could release to make me upgrade. But I'm sure apple come out with one thinner lighter and sexier. But for the time being I'm very happy with my iPad 3.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I'm a freshman in high school and my iPad 3 is still rocking 5.1.1 and it will until it gets toslow and leggy, or I buy a new one, so ya probbobly when I go to Coledge

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Here's my policy:
When my device no longer runs the current OS, I'll upgrade. I currently have an iPad 3 and iPod touch 4, both one generation old, but they still run the latest OS and apps.
I'm hoping the iPad 3 will support iOS 7, so I won't have to buy a new one until 2014, which will probably be the sixth or maybe even seventh generation.
I have tried out my friend's iPad minis, and the ones in the store, but I find them too small. I'm an iPad power user, it is my primary device for word processing, web browsing, and other boring school stuff, and I love gaming on the iPad. An iPad mini won't cut it for me, not even if it has a retina display.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
My ipad 2 was good enough and is still good enough. When I got the 3, I couldn't believe I didn't upgrade sooner. When I got the 4, the speed and smoothness had me once again saying, I couldn't believe I didn't upgrade sooner. While I have the 4, I'm thinking I hope this lasts forever, I don't need another one. That's technology for you - you never need the latest and greatest. The ipad 2 is still fine today but if you have money to spend and want the best experience, you decide when and if that time comes for you.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I have a 3 and will definitely get the 5. This is my work machine. I create and give presentations, take notes, read iBooks (I make these on the MBP with iBooks Author for our customers and sales reps) and read PDFs. I was tempted by the higher speed of the 4 but in holding out for the5.

I expect nothing dramatic but a faster processor, better digitizer, maybe lighter and thinner. Stereo speakers would be nice. I'd also like to see Apple standardize some sort of method for attaching external lenses to the backside camera. Maybe we'll see 802.11ac?

I would like to see a larger format, A4 or letter size, with the same screen resolution. I'd also like to have iOS upgraded to allow two apps to share the screen at the same time. I'd like to read a PDF in GoodReader while typing comments in email or ProjectBook. It would also be nice to watch a video while doing something else. I'm not holding my breath.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
I'll be really interested in swapping my iPad 3 with a Retina Mini. But only if it has an A6X processor, or something around that level of performance.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It would also be nice to watch a video while doing something else.

I see this statement all the time, and I always wonder what other things people want to do while watching a video. I do sometimes find myself just wanting to listen to the audio of a video while doing something else, but no way can I *watch* a video and do something else at the same time!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I will likely get the first 'big' iPad released after mid 2014. Got my 3 in March 2012, so I will likely wait as long as I can really. Well or until apps can't run on it.

Also, can't justify an upgrade to 4, 5 will likely be a nice improvement as well as 6 but imagine the difference between a 3 and a late 2014!! :D

If the mini is retina by then... and is super powerful then I would consider one of those instead. Amazingly light!

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I'm selling my iPad 3 on eBay and using that to fund an iPad 4. I figured the resale value would probably go down further if I waited. I tried the 4 and it is nice. I noticed it to be 'snappier' all around and it's similar to the performance upgrade between the iPhone 4 vs iPhone 5. My perception at least.

No interest in the mini. It is cool, but I have an iPhone 5 for the smaller screen experience.

Going with a iPad 4, 16GB, Verizon. Black.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
My iPad 3 runs amazing compared to the 1st generation 2010 iPad. My iPad performs like the 2004 aluminum body 17" PowerBook G4. There are no signs of lag, poor performance. Most likely when Apple produces a 2Ghz+ W/ more then 1GB of RAM, better resolution. Then I'll see. Ultimately, when Apple can match the iPad to the MacBook Pro, that's when I'll fork over my income. The same can be said for my iPhone 5. Since the iPhone 5 is already a beast with the 1.3 Ghz Dual core processor and 1GB of ram with 4" screen, it will take a lot for me to replace. IPad 3 will last 4-5 years. iPhone 5 will last 5-6 years.

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
I am enjoying my iPad mini so much that I am selling my iPad 3 to a colleague tomorrow. I am able to do everything with the mini that I typically do with the iPad 3, and I value the flexibility of carrying around the mini, e.g., just with a jacket, Scottevest,or with a mini-messenger bag.

I will buy another iPad only when the mini comes out with retina.

Kolmogorov

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
I'm using my 3 until the day it dies or until it doesn't perform tasks up to my specifications. So I'm thinking at least iPad 6 if not further.

Until then, long live the iPad 3!!!!!!!

I'm using my 3 until the day it dies or I die...

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
My only issue now with the iPad 3 is having a different cord than my iPhone 5 :)

I bought it with the plans to keep it at least 2 years, maybe 3 if it holds up. Which is why I bought the 64GB model. Not knowing that Apple MAY be going on a more frequent upgrade routine.

I would expect that, even if Apple upgrades more frequently, they will still support new OS's for at least 2 years. The original iPad is like the original 2 iPhones. Apple didn't know just how popular they would be, so were a little limited in OS upgrade options.

Reikochan

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
USA
I plan on keeping mine for at least two more years. I'll only upgrade sooner then that if its something really special that they release before hand or if they decide to drop iOS updates for my device before then.

cperry2

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Probably not for a while...

It's fair to say the 5 will be ligher and more efficient but where does everyone see the tablet market progressing to in the next few years?

What are long term changes you'd like to see in the iPad?

Interesting question. All signs point to an evolutionary progression – the things we'd all assume: thinner, lighter, faster, more battery life, better wifi, an even higher build quality (i.e. tougher gorilla glass).

The wild cards are going to be, I think, ways in which the device gains ever more nuanced sensory input and feedback. Wacom tech is an obvious one. Figuring out a way to combine the benefits of LCD and eink is one. 3D gestures will be a big one, just look at Leap Motion for that.

This is a software driven industry now though. A trend I see is more and more reliance on gesture instead of GUI. This is great. Gestures are the keyboard shortcuts of touchscreens.

Another thought in terms of sensory input: I think home automation is going to be a big thing. Look at the Nest thermostat, Philips smart bulbs, wemo by Belkin, etc. Convalescence around your tablet or phone will be a boon to the home automation industry.

I think with increased bandwidth due to 4K video being mainstream, among other things, perhaps a feature like Siri listening to everything you do can be afforded, and Siri could spontaneously interject conversations with suggestions or insightful comments, or respond to questions without being invoked by the home button. I know that sounds kind of creepy now, but it'd be an option and I think people would support that idea by then.

I do think there will be an even bigger "ipad" that runs a special build of OSX; or a special build of ios. There would be real benefits to all kinds of people if they essentially had a small Cintiq to go.

I think all or most of this will happen eventually, but apple won't do it until they can do it right, and the market is right, etc.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I had the iPad 2, I now have the iPad 3rd gen and I plan to stick with that for a long while. I don't know when I will purchase another one. Im not getting the 4, maybe in a couple yrs I'll buy a new one. I would buy the mini for using in travel and in bed to read and surf, but I have a Galaxy tab 2 7" for that, so Im ok now. If I just had money to burn Id still get one though, but I dont.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I won't get another ipad. But I do plan on getting the mini when the next 2 generations come out. Just so it's cheaper, and for me to have at work. Ipad stays home.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I want the thinner, lighter & new designed iPad 5! :cool:

If I wanted the iPad mini I would have gotten the note II

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Ipad mini with retina display is on my list
Might buy the ipad 5 also... It will depend on the new features it offers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.