Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
One thing I can think of is that if the TV is 720p and not capable with 1080p you may have to change it to 720p in order for it to work. I would change the setting on the TV that works and then plug it back into the TV that doesn't work and see if that helps. Also there might be a 60hz/50hz compatability issue.

You can configure the ATV to automatic detection (factory pre-set).:)

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
I had someone with the same problem sadly i forgot his TV model number

But the TV didnt do 1080P and did 1080I max, the apple TV didnt auto adjust, so he plugged it into another TV, set the apple TV to 720p plugged it into the Samsung and it worked

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Ok, I have tried other cables, which are irrelevant as I have tried it on a phillips TV right next to a new Samsung 50 inch Smart tv - the Samsung wouldnt pick up the Apple TV but the Phillips did.

I have spoken with Samsung UK who said that Apple TV is no longer compatible, and like I said Apple do not have an answer, both in store and via the Apple helpline.

I tried 7 Samsung TVs and the only one it worked on was a 2011 30 inch TV.

I know this is strange and everyone is saying its not possible, but if you dont believe me try calling Samsung, explain the problem and they will tell you the same.

The guy in the TV store didnt believe me either until I pulled the Apple TV out and made him plug it into all the TVs - same message on all TVs saying "source is not connected"...

This doesn't make sense, HDMI is an universal protocol that connect two devices. There is no Apple ATV HDI protocol and neither is there a Samsung HDMI as well. Do you have your facts straight? :cool:

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
One thing I can think of is that if the TV is 720p and not capable with 1080p you may have to change it to 720p in order for it to work. I would change the setting on the TV that works and then plug it back into the TV that doesn't work and see if that helps. Also there might be a 60hz/50hz compatability issue.

I had a similar problem, in that my a/v receiver did something funky to the HDMI signal so ATV would default to 720p 50hz instead of 60hz which gave me annoying stutter. It would not change to 60 no matter what. I had to plug it in directly to the tv for it to work, or set my receiver to HDMI 'pass thu' mode and route the audio separately.

Sometimes the auto detect feature doesn't work well, try manual.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
A cable is a cable - just ensure it is certified and good quality.

Not always; I had a 1.3 amazon bought cable which worked with my Blu ray and TV and seemingly had few problems, but would not change resolutions on the atv settings, with a 2011 panasonic dt30 until I changed it to an apple hdmi cable. There are various versions of cable with different capabilities, and is why you need a ver 1.4 to view 3d images on a TV.
I would rule out the cable by borrowing a friends 1.4 hdmi that works with the atv on his set. Then work your way through the hdmi sockets on your TV. Then you can probably reliably blame the Tv or the atv.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Not always; I had a 1.3 amazon bought cable which worked with my Blu ray and TV and seemingly had few problems, but would not change resolutions on the atv settings, with a 2011 panasonic dt30 until I changed it to an apple hdmi cable. There are various versions of cable with different capabilities, and is why you need a ver 1.4 to view 3d images on a TV.
I would rule out the cable by borrowing a friends 1.4 hdmi that works with the atv on his set. Then work your way through the hdmi sockets on your TV. Then you can probably reliably blame the Tv or the atv.

Yes, exactly, you need a certified cable for the appropriate version of HDMI. Assuming a decent quality v1.4 cable, it should perform exactly the same as the Apple one.

Now if you're buying those 2.00 "v1.4" cables from Amazon, obviously you can't guarantee performance.

But if you bought a cable from a reputable vendor like Monoprice it will work fine.

Ocean20

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Atv

I have an ATV and it works perfectly with my Samsung tv UA46C7000. This is a 2011model tv.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Google it, there are people on the discussion boards with the same problem from a year or so ago, therefore there is a problem.
I dont agree with Samsung that ATV is not compatible, but there must be some setting in a Samsung which stops the TV recognising the ATV.

I have SKY TV in one of the HDMI ports which I have tried in all ports and it is fine, and as I have previously said I have tried my ATV in other brand new TVs and it does not work on all of them.

Yes, I am a newbie to this site, as I have never felt the need to post as I have never had an issue with any of my Apple products. Clearly you do not have an answer to my issue so leave it for someone else to answer if you cant give a constructive answer.
I have detailed what I have tried and also what an Apple Genius bar staff has tried, so its clearly is a problem with the Samsung TV.

I asked you to show there is a big problem regarding this problem yet you just want ME to google it, you have to prove it.
Read the Forum Rules.

Forum Rules

1. Things Not to Do
2. These habits can produce warnings and repeated violations can produce bans.
3. Instructing other members to search. Instructing members to search themselves for an answer or responses such as ****** ("**************************") are experienced as rude and condescending. We don't have an issue with people linking to Google search results, although we prefer that members also link to a specific page that addresses the question being posed. A few words explaining how you got your search results makes your response even more helpful.

-----------

I did and was unable to find other post indicating that the ATV will not interface to Samsung TVs (new or otherwise). I did however find some post indicating jitter issues between the ATV and Samsung TV. Could you please post the Google links to the interface issue since I would like to read about any ATV / Samsung issues.

Exactly, he can't prove anything, as I said before there are no big problems, if there where we would have heard a lot of noise.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
This doesn't make sense, HDMI is an universal protocol that connect two devices. There is no Apple ATV HDI protocol and neither is there a Samsung HDMI as well. Do you have your facts straight? :cool:

HDMI may be a standard protocol however HDCP (high def content protection) is not.

Well, it is, but not everything supports it, and it relies on keys.

And even if it was, there's nothing to say that either apple or samsung aren't playing non-standard games. Given that the ATV works with other brand TVs, if i was a betting man I'd put my money on Samsung. It certainly isn't in Apple's interests to pull this stunt, as they don't actually make TVs at the moment and samsung have a large share of the TV market. It would hurt the appleTV more than it would hurt samsung.

I'm not sure of the exact technical definition for how HDCP works, but the general overview is that all of the devices in the chain need to be authenticated or HDCP content will not play.

If the ATV doesn't trust (or otherwise can't authenticate) the Samsung TV, or perhaps vice versa (unsure on that one) then HDCP content may not work.

In the age of digital transmission and content protection - there is a lot more involve than just the physical/electrical cable connection - there are chips in both devices that need to authenticate each other.

This means that it may be TV model specific, and may even be firmware version specific. IF an ATV or Samsung firmware version invalidates the HDCP key(s) involved (as would be demanded by hollywood if one of the keys were to leak, enabling easy piracy of HDCP protected content), it will break.

As in my last post, I say again it is your AppleTV, if all or at least many of them had problems we would have heard a LOT of noise here on MR and the internets.

IT is your AppleTV or a faulty Samsung TV or whatever cable you have.

Many posters already said to have no problems at all yet you go on with your 'rant".

Get a new AppleTV after you brought yours back, if it still gives problems let Samsung check your TV.

Did you read the diagnostic process? Multiple TVs tested, Multiple AppleTVs tested. Same problem.

Besides, evidence that a bunch of older previously purchased TVs do not exhibit this problem does NOT mean that some new TVs on the shelf today do not.

The "it works for me lalalala must be user error, noob" belongs on the Linux forums.

All of those who posted "works for me" - did you buy your TV in 2012?

Last edited:

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
HDMI may be a standard protocol however HDCP (high def content protection) is not.

Right, I found the following post:

What is a HDCP error? Here is a real life situation that happened that could happen to you.
You just bought a Blu-ray Disc Player and connected it to your older HDTV with a HDMI cable. When you tried playing a Blu-ray disc a HDCP error was shown on the screen. The movie wouldn't play.

This is a known issue with HDCP, and it's one of the biggest hassles consumers will have to deal with when utilizing a HDMI cable on their HDTV. You will get a HDCP error if you try watching HDCP encoded content when using a HDMI cable.

The problem is that if HDCP exists anywhere in the video stream then all devices and cables accessing this content must be HDCP compliant. If one device or cable isn't HDCP compliant then you get a HDCP error.

The only solution is to either replace the HDMI cable with a non-digital cable or replace the HDCP-less device. This could mean buying a new HDTV.
In fact, I worked with a reader last year troubleshooting a HDCP error on his TV. What happened is that he bought a Blu-ray Disc Player and connected everything properly only to get a HDCP error. After a few emails back and forth we discovered that his HDTV wasn't HDCP compatible, which is why he got the HDCP error.

The reader ended up buying a newer HDTV with HDCP, and his Blu-ray Disc Player worked perfectly with HDMI cables.

----------

All of those who posted "works for me" - did you buy your TV in 2012?

Yes, mine ia s 2012 Samsung 7000 series with a Onkyo in between. No problemens here at all.

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Not Samsung Issue

I have a Samsung TV connected direct, no amp in between, with HDMI to my ATV3. No issue. I previously used an ATV2. No issue. I have used rented itunes content, purchased itunes content, streamed un-protected MP4s from an imac using itunes, Netflix, XBMC, NAVI-X (on the ATV2 obviously). Both DRM and non-DRM content.

I am sure that there are 000's of people using ATV successfully with Samsung, who are one of the most popular brands of TV.

So either this is specific to the model of TV; or there is some RTFM operator-specific issue.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The OP hasn't told us the Samsung model number or where he purchased it. Could be someone has mucked around in the service menu, pure conjecture or could also be a troll.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I had an ATV 1 connected to a 2007 Samsung (M86 model) with no issues at all. Last year I upgraded to an ATV3 and at first got a no connection issues. I unplugged and replugged the lead (same one used for the ATV 1) which goes through an HDMI splitter into HDMI 2 on the TV and the image appeared on the screen but jumped about a bit (top of the screen flickered and a bit of digital static and/or picture loss - audio continued but this is piped via optical to an amp). After plugging the unit in directly it was fine so I moved back to the setup through the splitter and it was fine. Since then it's mostly fine with the occasional screen flickering.

Incidentally I had to replace an HDMI cable as my 360 was doing the same thing and a new cable fixed the issue.

Separately my parents have an ATV3 connected to a 2012 Samsung (EH5000) and had no problems at all.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
This is almost certainly an HDCP issue...

HDCP is becoming more and more utilized in HDMI devices, and failure becomes higher and higher.

In this case, cables CAN make a difference. I have personally seen this happen. No, you don't need a monster cable, but definitely DO try another cable. (It working with another TV is not enough to isolate the cable as "good").

Another poster here shows an alternate solution, and that is to have an interim receiver. This often works because the HDCP is with the receiver, and another path to the television, which is often a "less" secure path. There are also devices that can strip the need of HDCP, which can help solve the problem

The smarter the output the device, the smarter the receiving device, the more likely you will have an HDCP failure.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Works for me

While I can't add any solutions to this problem I can say:

I just did an entire technology refresh from a 19 year old Sony TV and VCR to a Samsung LED and the Apple TV. I have no problems whatsoever. I used a $6 HDMI cable I purchased with the TV from Fry's Electronics. I'm glad I didn't read this thread before my purchase because I absolutely love my Samsung and the Apple TV setup. It literally took me 10 minutes to unbox both and wire them up.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Seems to be pretty much the standard response from Samsung regarding AppleTV.

I have a ATV mk1 connected to a Samsung 26" R74 via component. I originally had them connected via HDMI cable, however I found that once had some iTunes purchased content then would not play as could not find HDCP.

Worked fine on my Dell 30" monitor ( obviously though no sound though as no speakers ).

Samsungs response

Apple implemented a non-standard HDMI on the AppleTV, need to talk to Apple.

What it actually is that Samsung neglected to put HDCP on the HDMI ports of that generation of TV and so therefore can't playback. However Samsung wouldn't admit that.

Had been looking at getting a new 32" 1080P and ATV mk3 however will definitely be crossing Samsung off the list as looks like they haven't gotten any better.

The Samsung R74 came out in 2006 when HD wasn't even a proper standard yet. A lot of HDTVs from that era claimed to be "HD capable" rather than "HD ready" and there's a big difference between the two. Samsung wasn't the only offender, pretty much all TV makers were very sloppy actually making HD work properly back then because in their rush to be able to claim they had HD picture they brought it out before the standard was properly agreed on.

That said I've had mixed experiences with modern Samsung TVs. I have a cheap one next to me right now which I use as a monitor for multiple devices and, of course, for watching TV, and it's been perfect, but I've also used one of the high end smart TVs which had WiFi connection issues and refused to accept a software update from Samsung.

I've never had a problem with using HDMI on a Samsung TV though, it's always connected perfectly.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hi all,
I have just purchased a brand new Apple TV from Apple in Marbella, Spain. I own a Samsung TV (2011 model) and for some reason it will NOT work on my TV. I took it back to Apple who said the Apple TV is fine, so I then called Apple help who said they had no idea why the TV wont recognise the problem, so I called Samsung who informed me that Apple TV is NOT compatible with any of their TVs.

So I took the Apple TV into a department store and tried it on every TV in there, and it does work on the odd Samsung TV but wont work on most. It is fine with every other make of TV though.

The message I get is that nothing is connected, liek the TV wont recognise anything is plugged into the HDMI port.

Can someone help as Im about to take it back to Apple for a refund unless theres a fix...

I've had my AppleTV work perfectly fine on my new Samsung UN32EH5000 LED TV. I'm glad I didn't know that Samsung TVs don't work on the AppleTV or I would have saved myself the horror.

Yeah, that Samsung rep jerked your chain, man.

moyski

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
same problem but with my mac mini

seems like this is a problem people have to see to be believed. i'm having the same problem with my mac mini. Just got one last month. doesn't work using hdmi with a samsung LCD & plasma tv's we have. but works perfectly fine with our Sony LCD tv.

been searching google for a fix, tried the suggestion of fiddling with the service menu but still no success.

call it a conspiracy or a hoax but something is obviously up with apple & samsung :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.