Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
No, I think $700 would be a very reasonable price. It's really nice to have a dock and a 27" screen bundled into one, but the fact that it is only compatible with Thunderbolt Macs severely limits its utility.

Severely? Last I checked, every Mac from 2011 on have Thunderbolt. Most who want to buy a $IK Thunderbolt Display probably aren't going to bat an eye dropping $600 on a Mac Mini.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I have a 30" with the proper matte display that I enjoy immensely.

But I could trade down to a glossy 27" to gain the audio & lose the extra cabling under my desk.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
We are still rockin 2 Final Cut Pro workstations (Dual processor 1.8 G5 1gb RAM) using the 20 Cinema Displays using the ADC.

If/when we replace these with iMacs they will transition to capture stations from our studios

Viva la G5 and ADC!
Bring back the Apple Display Connector!

Anybody remember these things? I still have a functional Apple Cinema Display from the early 2000s, which I've had to route through a ADC -> DVI adapter. I'm wondering how much more life I have left in it.

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
This is a silly discussion. Use an iPhone 4 or 5 for a while and then pick-up an iPad mini. The difference is jarring (at least it was to me). People who don't appreciate the value of a retina display have just not seen one in action. My iMac looks nice, but I can clearly see pixillation at (what for me) is a normal viewing distance (YMMV). I use my computer for many hours a day and I know that eye strain would be reduced with a retina display. Eventually, we will all be saying "I can't believe I used to look at that crap all day long." The reality is that we could live with much more crappy displays, but once you acquire a taste for quality, it doesn't go away.
I have owned an iPhone 4 since the day it was released (I now own a 5), and I own an iPad retina as well. I work as a graphics artist and sit in front of this monitor for hours a day as well. I was going to say that normally, people don't sit more than 12 - 16" away from a desktop monitor, but now that I think about it, monitors will likely start to become touchscreen devices, which will require closer viewing distances :eek: Aside from this, you make a very good point - I do catch myself glancing closely (to view pixels in photoshop) often! I guess a retina wouldn't be so bad. However, the pixel density of the iPad retina may not even be necessary (for a desktop monitor). The pixels may not even need to be quadrupled. As someone mentioned earlier, simply improving the pixel density, but changing the resolution so that everything becomes slightly larger would be excellent. In other words, we don't need to scale 2x, but instead create new resolutions that best fit viewing distances/clickable areas. (though scaling 2x, would be much easier, as done on the MBP, iPad and iPhone.)

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I consider the TBD one of the best investments I've made recently ... I think I paid $909 plus tax at Adorama in NYC.

For my money, I'll skip the needlessly-thin 27" iMac and upgrade my TBD when the new one is released. Of course, if Apple drops the price $100, cuts the glare and adds USB 3, I won't complain. I'll miss my FW800 drives, but I imagine FW800 is done for in the next iteration.

To those who think the TBD is priced too high, I offer some sage advice: Buy a Dell! The TBD is proof one gets what one pays for.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Heres hoping they'll introduce sensible pricing points... (Over everything else).

Thread should have been closed right there. There isn't anything wrong with this display save for the lack of USB 3.0.

$1000 isn't outlandish for an IPS display running at 2560x1400. Competitors are in the $7-800s, without ports and docking ability.

The other models do have ports, but some don't have LED, ethernet or Firewire 800. That's where the beauty of the thing comes in.

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
The price is worth it over the competitors. I have a Thunderbolt display next to two high-end HP LP and ZR Series 24" and 30" monitors. The Thunderbolt display wins on many fronts.

I love the fact that it has a light sensor and auto adjusts brightness. Plus it's integrated with the Display settings on the Mac. (You can adjust the brightness right from you Mac keyboard.)

The display powers on and displays an image much quicker than anything I've seen.

Plus, the screen just looks great in our office. :)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Heres hoping they'll introduce sensible pricing points... (Over everything else).

699 is fair for this monitor

At the moment I'm having a hard time justifying the cost vs say a Dell 2713 - the addition of USB3 would help, as would a price drop (would be surprised though, this is Apple!).

Maybe ill see if I can pickup an old gen one cheaper as well

£699 would be perfect and id get one at this price. One of the reasons why ive stayed away from them thus far is the extremely tight diff in the baseline imac

No, I think $700 would be a very reasonable price. It's really nice to have a dock and a 27" screen bundled into one, but the fact that it is only compatible with Thunderbolt Macs severely limits its utility.

Comparing this monitor to the $400/$500/$600/$700 monitors on the market is unfair. When you look at what this monitor brings to the game from a color accuracy standpoint, and from features such as being a plug and play hub for Macs, including networking, etc., $999 is not too much. In fact, some of the competitors' comparable monitors are more expensive, without the built in hub capabilities. Then there's the build and materials quality compared to plastic monitors.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
I hope Apple doesn't screw us. They made the 27" iMac a different height from the 27" ACD and TBD, which was bad enough, but then they made the new 2012 27" iMac a different height from the 27" ACD and TBD again!

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Apple can go to hell holding me back.

I just went ahead and got the maxed out iMac ~ $2.8K

If you plan on getting a $1100 display and have the latest MacBook Air - like I did - I suggest you sell the Air for $1K.

That's $2.1K you can spend on the new iMac. In additional to $700 out of your pocket.

The idea was that the iMac is for work and gaming and the iPhone is for everything portable. Kind of how executives live.

Laptops are kind of a thing of the past and an unbalanced mean between workstation and phone/tablet.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
monitors will likely start to become touchscreen devices

What makes you say that? The keyboard and mouse seems far more practical. Unless somebody can think of an input method that requires even less energy, I think it should stay that way for quite a long time.

“We’ve done tons of user testing on this, and it turns out it doesn’t work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical.
It gives great demo but after a short period of time, you start to fatigue and after an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off. it doesn’t work, it’s ergonomically terrible.
Touch surfaces want to be horizontal, hence pads.” - Steve Jobs

“Other people have tried that with desktops, and I think to say it hasn’t caught traction is probably an understatement of the year” he explained. Whereas, say, an iPhone is “sort of an intimate experience.” - Tim Cook

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I never knew why the display was so thick when all you really need is space for the connector ports. Display technology can get way thinner than this. I can't wait to see the redesign.

You do know the connector ports....connect to something inside right? It's a Camera, Thunderbolt, USB, Firewire 800, Gigabit ethernet hub inside there.

$999 is pretty good price for this plus a top quality 2560X1440 display. Look at NEC and other displays at this quality level and they are as much or more with far fewer connectivity options.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I'd put money on the next ones being thinner.

How cool would it be to have these displays look identical to the iMac 27", including the chin to allow space for all electronics and the connectors in back, and as thin overall as the edges of the iMac 27"? Imagine have one of these sitting on each side of your iMac. No need for retina for sure.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The price is worth it over the competitors. I have a Thunderbolt display next to two high-end HP LP and ZR Series 24" and 30" monitors. The Thunderbolt display wins on many fronts.

I love the fact that it has a light sensor and auto adjusts brightness. Plus it's integrated with the Display settings on the Mac. (You can adjust the brightness right from you Mac keyboard.)

The display powers on and displays an image much quicker than anything I've seen.

Plus, the screen just looks great in our office. :)

I doubt that. It'd be different if you'd mention something other than personal experience. If you feel the ACD is better, that's all well and dandy, but you can't say that the HP LP and ZR monitors don't compare panel wise then talk about light sensors and aesthetics

Apple can go to hell holding me back.

I just went ahead and got the maxed out iMac ~ $2.8K

If you plan on getting a $1100 display and have the latest MacBook Air - like I did - I suggest you sell the Air for $1K.

That's $2.1K you can spend on the new iMac. In additional to $700 out of your pocket.

The idea was that the iMac is for work and gaming and the iPhone is for everything portable. Kind of how executives live.

Laptops are kind of a thing of the past and an unbalanced mean between workstation and phone/tablet.

No sense made here.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Comparing this monitor to the $400/$500/$600/$700 monitors on the market is unfair. When you look at what this monitor brings to the game from a color accuracy standpoint, and from features such as being a plug and play hub for Macs, including networking, etc., $999 is not too much. In fact, some of the competitors' comparable monitors are more expensive, without the built in hub capabilities. Then there's the build and materials quality compared to plastic monitors.

Exactly. The only thing I can figure is people are comparing it to 1920X1200 el cheapo displays.

----------

I'm predicting we'll see the new Thunderbolt Display introduced alongside the new Mac Pro, and that it'll come with everything you'd expect judging from the new iMacs - Slim design, laminated glass, USB 3.0 etc.

However, I also think we could well see the Thunderbolt Display incorporate some Airplay features, letting you mirror your iPhone/iPad screen.

The pro release isn't related to this monitor since most people who own one use a laptop.

----------

One thing I've never understood about this website.... and it never fails. On every thread, on every single product Apple makes, whether its a Thunderbolt cable or an outdated overpriced Mac Pro, there's always somebody on here arguing AGAINST getting a better deal on Apple products. Maybe their parents buy their stuff.... or they are just so rich that prices don't matter. Either way, I don't get it.

Wouldn't you be happier if that same product was maybe 10 percent cheaper? Obviously Apple is doing well and would still make money on pretty much everything they sell. Why argue against that? Do you really own THAT much stock?

We are talking about this monitor and what people are comparing it to. Not anything else. Just because you don't like the facts doesn't mean they aren't true.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Exactly. The only thing I can figure is people are comparing it to 1920X1200 el cheapo displays.

Agreed, but let's not compare build quality to something that remains on a desk for a majority of it's life. By build quality I mean casing. The ACD isn't the most color accurate panel, and one that's more image friendly can be had for around the same price, and give you some hub features.

QUOTE]The pro release isn't related to this monitor since most people who own one use a laptop.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! And it's be nonsense to have Airplay in an ACD when it doesn't have a CPU or WiFi radio. Adding that and it's even more of an iMac then it already is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.