Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
*DISCLAIMER* - The word "critic" in this case is not a negative thing. By this I mean those who genuinely feel Apple is falling behind. I'm just curious what those who have used iPhones in the past and have either recently switched or are contemplating switching are thinking about the future iPhones and what it would take for Apple to regain their spot at the top. Please read the WHOLE post before commenting....

iPhone ?:

-2272x1280 4.5" SupeRetina display w/ IGZO (582 ppi)
-NFC
-Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Liquid Metal shell
-LTE (possibly LTE-A)
-Quad core A7 (or A8) with quad core graphics
-1-2 GB RAM
-iOS 7 (or 8)

Obviously the big kicker would be how iOS evolves from here (given new leadership with Cue, Ive and Federighi) - but with Apple undoubtedly being forced into a bigger screen, they could shut everyone up and make the other OEMs pee themselves by simply doubling the current iP5 resolution (less work for devs) and adding IGZO. Not only would they continue to have the most accurate display in the biz, they'd have the undisputed champion of them - probably for some time (depending on when this would be viable).

The other big question mark is the liquid metal shell - which will come at some point, we just don't know when. I tell you what - give me this phone and an iOS with Ive's design expertise and some tweaked software enhancements and Apple is back on top.

What do ya'll think it would take for Apple to grab back the crown?

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Why do you care so much what the critics think?

Critics = those critiquing Apple's current path and say they need to "innovate or die". Could also include those who aren't satisfied with the current offering (iP5) and feel they need to put out something fantastic.

Just curious....not trying to incite a flamewar. I'd honestly rather iPhone users respond....

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
iPhone ?:

-NFC
-Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Liquid Metal shell
-LTE (possibly LTE-A)
-1-2 GB RAM
-iOS 7 (or 8)

Obviously the big kicker would be how iOS evolves from here - but with Apple undoubtedly being forced into a bigger screen, they could shut everyone up and make the other OEMs pee themselves by simply doubling the current iP5 resolution (less work for devs) and adding IGZO. Not only would they continue to have the most accurate display in the biz, they'd have the undisputed champion of them - probably for some time (depending on when this would be viable).

The other big question mark is the liquid metal shell - which will come at some point, we just don't know when. I tell you what - give me this phone and an iOS with Ive's design expertise and some tweaked software enhancements and Apple is back on top.

What do ya'll think it would take for Apple to grab back the crown?

Well battery life would be bad so it wouldn't matter if it had those specs and with their stock price nose diving today I doubt they're gonna invest heavily into a project like that.

Time to sell AAPL with both hands iPhone 5 is the last we're going to see of apples greatness.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Well battery life would be bad so it wouldn't matter if it had those specs and with their stock price nose diving today I doubt they're gonna invest heavily into a project like that.

Time to sell AAPL with both hands.

Given Apple's unparalleled expertise dealing with battery life and hardware/software efficiency, I give them the benefit of the doubt and say they figure out how to give us "the same amazing 10 hours"

On the other hand - go post that doom and gloom nonsense somewhere else....we don't want to read it. The $130 BILLION in the bank begs to differ....

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Just buys into the wild misconception that "specs" make the device. You can have the best materials, architect and construction crew in the world but doesn't really mean much if you build your house on sand.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Maybe he owns part of Apple and want to make money.

Nope - just think the word "critic" was misunderstood as aimed toward Android fanboys or those who hate Apple. Merely wanted to see what other iPhone users (past and present) think about what Apple could do to get back on top.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
iPhone ?:

-NFC
-Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Liquid Metal shell
-LTE (possibly LTE-A)
-1-2 GB RAM
-iOS 7 (or 8)

If we start focusing on THIS, that's when I know it's time to leave.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah but it still will handle iOS the same way as the iphone 5 does......

The problem is not spec :) its the software mate.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Given Apple's unparalleled expertise dealing with battery life and hardware/software efficiency, I give them the benefit of the doubt and say they figure out how to give us "the same amazing 10 hours"

On the other hand - go post that doom and gloom nonsense somewhere else....we don't want to read it. The $130 BILLION in the bank begs to differ....

Unparalleled expertise dealing with battery life? Sure, if you keep the phone small, you'll have better battery life. Also the RAZR has much better battery life than the iPhone. My Note gets battery life as good as my old iPhone 4's battery life.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yeah but it still will handle iOS the same way as the iphone 5 does......

The problem is not spec :) its the software mate.

Which I stated in the second part of my initial post.

Look I'm as much the "specs don't matter" promoter as anyone. But at some point I'd like to see Apple stick it to the other OEMs and blow them out of the water.

I don't NEED this....my iP5 is great and I love it. I'm also not saying this is the iPhone 6....but you have to admit - an overhaul of iOS combined with THIS hardware built with Apple's level of expertise and care....tell me that doesn't give you goosebumps.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Dude, the iPhone could print money, make sandwiches, and do..."other" stuff... and people would still hate on it. Haters gonna hate. Ignore them and just enjoy it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Unparalleled expertise dealing with battery life? Sure, if you keep the phone small, you'll have better battery life. Also the RAZR has much better battery life than the iPhone. My Note gets battery life as good as my old iPhone 4's battery life.

You could also say that the Note/GS3 have MUCH bigger batteries than the 5 does.

So on the one hand, the bigger phone has a bigger screen to drive, beefier processor - but it has a massive battery.

The iP5 has the smaller screen but a much smaller battery....and the iP5 keeps up with those larger devices as far as screen quality, brightness, CPU speed, kills in GPU speed all with better battery life (albeit only by an hour or so).

----------

Dude, the iPhone could print money, make sandwiches, and do..."other" stuff... and people would still hate on it. Haters gonna hate. Ignore them and just enjoy it.

I think people are misinterpreting my point....

I'm not saying I'm upset that people hate on the iPhone....you guys are taking "critics" to mean something like an Android fanboy or Apple hater.

I simply mean those who feel (truly think) Apple is falling behind. Mostly those who have used the iPhone for a while and are now considering a switch.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Time to sell AAPL with both hands iPhone 5 is the last we're going to see of apples greatness.

How would the battery life be bad? The screen would have IGZO, there would be a bigger battery in the phone itself due to the transition to 4.5 inches. The A7/A8 chip will be even more power efficient then the A6 chip and LTE radio will also evolve and become more power efficient.

To the OP, those are very monstrous specs and i actually really feel like Apple will make a iPhone just like that. Just imagine a edge to edge screen so the phone doesnt feel that much bigger and all these new hardware pieces and Ivy influence all over iOS7/8... **** people who think Apple is going down, you gotta be a dummy to actually believe that

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
You could also say that the Note/GS3 have MUCH bigger batteries than the 5 does.

So on the one hand, the bigger phone has a bigger screen to drive, beefier processor - but it has a massive battery.

The iP5 has the smaller screen but a much smaller battery....and the iP5 keeps up with those larger devices as far as screen quality, brightness, CPU speed, kills in GPU speed all with better battery life (albeit only by an hour or so).

----------

I think people are misinterpreting my point....

I'm not saying I'm upset that people hate on the iPhone....you guys are taking "critics" to mean something like an Android fanboy or Apple hater.

I simply mean those who feel (truly think) Apple is falling behind. Mostly those who have used the iPhone for a while and are now considering a switch.

Not only that, Apple is able to squeeze more out the A6 then some of the processors in the top end Android phones. Iphone still has the fastest browser so far on a phone. Gpu performance on iphone 5 kills the competition as of right now so im confused as well

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Given Apple's unparalleled expertise dealing with battery life and hardware/software efficiency, I give them the benefit of the doubt and say they figure out how to give us "the same amazing 10 hours.

They haven't with the iPhone 5, it barely gets 7.

The hardware is, broadly speaking, okay (horrid new screen that's too big and no battery not-withstanding). The problem is with iOS, which due to lack of development and actively consumer hostile processes, has become a very bad OS.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
OP, is this your first iPhone?

Uhh....my signature would indicate a negatory ghost rider....

Geez, I'm getting killed for being curious....this all stemmed from me asking myself, what resolution could Apple go to in the next iPhone that would keep devs relatively happy and still improve overall quality (i.e. 1080p+ and such).

That just got me to thinking about other ways the iPhone COULD potentially evolve....

I suppose I'll keep these thoughts and wonderings to myself from now on.

metalfab

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Coming from a Note II (which I had for 9 days) has a quad-core 1.6GHz and 2GB RAM to the iP5 which has a dual-core 1.2GHz and 1GB RAM I feel the iP5 is snappier in every respect. Opening apps, connectivity (LTE and WiFi), and the camera speed is much faster and accurate in focusing. If the software is written right then hardware doesn't need the marketing, as much. Android use to claim iOS was bloated. How times have changed. Jellybean is getting so big and bloated it needs the "faster" hardware to run.

I'm very glad I made the switch :cool:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
They haven't with the iPhone 5, it barely gets 7.

The hardware is, broadly speaking, okay (horrid new screen that's too big and no battery not-withstanding). The problem is with iOS, which due to lack of development and actively consumer hostile processes, has become a very bad OS.

I've had no problem getting more than 7 hours....lasts a whole day (sometimes 2 depending on my usage). Comparable to my work 4S and better than my brother in law's GS3 (carries his charger with him wherever he goes).

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
???

Are you saying iOS would be the sand?

I wasn't really qualifying that with who I was talking about, but I maintain that no matter the hardware specs, if you don't have a strong OS to support it, they don't mean anything (this is beyond the fact that 99% of people have no idea what "RAM," "Processor Speed," "HD," "LTE" or "PPI" mean)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I wasn't really qualifying that with who I was talking about, but I maintain that no matter the hardware specs, if you don't have a strong OS to support it, they don't mean anything (this is beyond the fact that 99% of people have no idea what "RAM," "Processor Speed," "HD," "LTE" or "PPI" mean)

Agreed - which is why I stated in my original post that the big wild card is iOS7 and beyond. Given the new leadership overseeing it from here on out I think it's tough to gauge where they go.

I also believe most of any innovation that comes in the next few years will be on the software side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.