Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I know recently the imac was redesign and upgraded inside. But what all of you think they will get for the next 3 years to come? I know this year will be upgraded to haswell CPU, wifi ac, maybe retina or next year... What else you guys think to need or be upgraded?

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
after spending £2000 on this one, that I haven't got yet. I will be making a point not to see what any new iMac has to offer for the next couple of years. :p

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
It's going to keep getting thinner and thinner until it's thin as paper, and the generation after that will use a CRT

In all seriousness, take a look at the last 15 years of iMac and you can see a trend that will likely continue. I don't like that they keep making them thinner because folks who run the CPU a lot will have heat dissipation issues in the tiny enclosure that could lead to component failures down the line. But then again that's what the Mac Pro is designed for.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Personally I think that all we are going to see for the next year are hardware spec bumps.... I think the signal that something major is changing is when the OS changes dramatically enough that the Mac itself needs to change to take advantage of the features.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
A revision of the iMac that includes architecture to the point of incorporating the Intel Haswell processor . . . that may be relatively distant, say more than a year off. Further revisions in screen production may be seen before a CPU change.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
It's going to keep getting thinner and thinner until it's thin as paper, and the generation after that will use a CRT

In all seriousness, take a look at the last 15 years of iMac and you can see a trend that will likely continue. I don't like that they keep making them thinner because folks who run the CPU a lot will have heat dissipation issues in the tiny enclosure that could lead to component failures down the line. But then again that's what the Mac Pro is designed for.

But the 2012 iMac has better heat dissipation than previous models....

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I think they same design will be the same for more than 3 years. But the internals must change. Also the brodwell CPU by 2014 I read that will be system on chip like iOS and if apple acquire that that mean they'll make them thinner.

What do you guys think about OLED displays?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I think they same design will be the same for more than 3 years. But the internals must change. Also the brodwell CPU by 2014 I read that will be system on chip like iOS and if apple acquire that that mean they'll make them thinner.

What do you guys think about OLED displays?

Still prohibitively expensive for use in something like an iMac. Maybe in 2+ years though.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Still prohibitively expensive for use in something like an iMac. Maybe in 2+ years though.

yeah its all shifting towards OLED

seems like more and more companies are abandoning LCD and investing building new factories for OLED, and there has been so many breakthroughs for OLED all around the world something new almost every week, better blue lifetime, image retention problems, ability to print a display using ink-jet printers.

I wonder what Apple thinks of OLED though, the iPhone screen is obviously superior to OLED phones maybe they still prefer LCD as a superior tech and OLED is not quite there yet.

But then there is also QLED which is in its early stages, and is suppose to better than OLED...

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I predict the next version will be so small that it won't have room for an actual CPU or Hard Drive, but it will look magnificent on your desk...

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Retina of some sort or 4K display. I'd imagine the SSD part will carry on getting bigger, probably as early as next generation. But overall I expect the form factor to remain for some time (3 years minimum)

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Fusion Drives will probably become a standard in the next update or one after. Unsure if there will be too many more updates to the iMac as it'll probably morph into something else in a couple of years.

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I think the next imac which integrates "retina" will be an 4k because current imac it's almost 3k. Apple it's just waiting for more companies adopt the 4k a has more content to show on that resolution.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The PPI of the current 27" screen from typical viewing distances is already borderline "retina". 4K introduction will to some degree be a marketing thing, if they do it... although if they switch to a totally new panel technology they could wind up with a much better performing screen that will drive more upgrades.

What's interesting is that it looks as though they are preparing to upgrade the external Thunderbolt display. If that sticks to the current resolution/display tech but simply gets the new lamination process, etc, I would imagine it indicates that the current tech should get something like a 2-3 year life cycle.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The Fusion drive is just a bridge product until large SSDs are "affordable," meaning no more expensive than a HDD. In three years time the only moving parts in the iMac will be the fan and the speaker cones.

So the iMac of 2016 (thinking of when AppleCare runs out on the new models) will have SSDs, a base 16GB of RAM, the new Wifi technology (I forget the nomenclature but it is faster than current), and of course the CPU and display processors current in 2016.

Meanwhile I'm still happy with my 3 year old iMac, but probably won't be using it in 2016.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.