Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
The iPhone 5 does it with headphones in when you have the volume bars at yellow or higher. All you with iPhone 5's that claim theirs don't do it, try it now and you'll see.

"... volume bars at yellow or higher." Really? I've had two iPhones, 4s and now 5, with iOS versions 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1.1, 6.0, and now 6.0.1, plus I have two iPads both on 6.1. I have never seen any hint of "yellow or higher" on any of those devices, with or without headphones, whether Apple ear pods or buds, or Bose. There might be a setting that sets the volume indicator to something other than a slider, but I have not seen it.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
"... volume bars at yellow or higher." Really? I've had two iPhones, 4s and now 5, with iOS versions 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1.1, 6.0, and now 6.0.1, plus I have two iPads both on 6.1. I have never seen any hint of "yellow or higher" on any of those devices, with or without headphones, whether Apple ear pods or buds, or Bose. There might be a setting that sets the volume indicator to something other than a slider, but I have not seen it.

It's iphone 5 only, not 4 or 4S. It's with headphones in, they have added 'high volume'. You obviously haven't used the 5 much, Its there every time you have headphones in on a 5 and go over a certain level. It's no setting you turn on, it's there by default. See attached. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355616139.431983.jpg

Jmc323x

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
It's iphone 5 only, not 4 or 4S. It's with headphones in, they have added 'high volume'. You obviously haven't used the 5 much, Its there every time you have headphones in on a 5 and go over a certain level. It's no setting you turn on, it's there by default. See attached. View attachment 383803

I have an iPhone 5 and it doesn't change colors for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 246

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
The iPhone 5 does it with headphones in when you have the volume bars at yellow or higher. All you with iPhone 5's that claim theirs don't do it, try it now and you'll see.

Yea you're right - my iPhone 5 certainly DOES do this. The volume buttons (on the headphones) do turn the screen on, even when the phone is locked and in standby mode!

Never would have known this as I do admit - I very rarely use the headphones!

;)

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
It's iphone 5 only, not 4 or 4S. It's with headphones in, they have added 'high volume'. You obviously haven't used the 5 much, Its there every time you have headphones in on a 5 and go over a certain level. It's no setting you turn on, it's there by default. See attached. View attachment 383803

I have an iPhone 5 and it doesn't change colors for me.

This only happens with iPhones in the EU. It is EU regulations.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
^ confirming this. I have an A1429 GSM iPhone 5 (same model sold in Europe), bought outside of Europe and it doesn't do the yellow volume shtick.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
This is why there some people's volumes differ to others. It can be disabled for now.

http://i.imgur.com/E1MFhl.jpg

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well, setting here in snowy Minnesota, USA, none of my iOS devices have that kind of volume indicator.

Well Minnesota is not in the EU is it ;) :p

----------

This is why there some people's volumes differ to others. It can be disabled for now.

http://i.imgur.com/E1MFhl.jpg

It's set to off by default so that doesn't cover what we're talking about in regards to stopping the screen lighting up. If you turn that on, it won't let the volume go into the yellow coloured blocks.

Last edited:

champagnepapi

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Well now we know, this shi*ty feature is Europe-only. I get that EU have their regulations regarding volume, but what I don't get is why Apple had to make the screen turn on whenever you reach the yellow bars or higher.

I hope they fix this because it's actually really annoying.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
You can type your question/command to Siri if you want. Dunno if this was posted before but I was messing around and found it out a few hours ago.

You have to ask a question and while it's thinking, double tap on the bubble that has your input.

ZqpZn.png

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
You can type your question/command to Siri if you want. Dunno if this was posted before but I was messing around and found it out a few hours ago.

You have to ask a question and while it's thinking, double tap on the bubble that has your input.

This has been there since the debut of Siri in iOS 5.0.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I doubt this is an iOS 6 thing or just an iPhone thing, but I noticed that you can pinch-to-zoom a lot further into a picture when its in the iMessage app than it is in the Photos app. Seems a little assbackwards if you ask me.

I've always hated the ridiculous zoom limit on photos.

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
I'm on 6.0.2
Someone try this...

Go to camera roll, tap edit, and highlight about 6 or more VIDEO clips, NO images, then tap on SHARE

Also, I can't paste multiple video clips into iMessage huh? It only pastes the last one

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm on 6.0.2
Someone try this...

Go to camera roll, tap edit, and highlight about 6 or more VIDEO clips, NO images, then tap on SHARE

Also, I can't paste multiple video clips into iMessage huh? It only pastes the last one

Interesting. For me, it doesn't work when two or more videos are selected. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.