Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As justperry says...NO! You don't need it, it can cause more harm than good...A search of these boards, and excellent information from GGJStudious will show you that it's not a utility you want.

If you must have a utility Onyx is a better bet, but your Mac takes care of itself.

Reactions: pallavi jain

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
While some users may experience problem using Mac-cleaning softwares, I had a rather smooth experience using them.

Apps like CleanMyMac searching for files and don't delete them unless you tell it so. There are dropdown bars across all sections, showing you all related files found. You need to choose the files you want to delete. It doesn't delete them automatically once the files are found unless instructed by the user.

The trick is to go to each file and check the location they are residing. Sometimes if you are unsure if these files are safe for deletion, leave them alone. Most of the files under ~System/Library belongs to OS X, and unless you know what you are doing, don't delete anything. Delete only files that have app's name in their filenames, or residing outside ~System/Library. Don't erase your trash bin until you are sure your system functions properly after the cleaning.

While I empathize with some of the users who had problems with these apps and I caution them to use wisdom and judgment when dealing with these apps, I can't fault this particular app for all mishaps. Users too have a responsibility of their own to know what they are doing. Don't rely on the app 100% unless you know the technical know-how. CleanMyMac is a software I had personally used recently to diagnose and solve my beachballing issues which I had from my 2008 mbp. I am happy to say most of my issues are resolved, despite certain issues related to insufficient RAM (limited to 4gb) for my model.

I advise those who are keen to use apps like CleanMyMac to google certain files found which you aren't sure, and see for yourself what they do, and if they are third-parties' and not native to OS X operation.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you recommend the CleanMyMac app?
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Mostly correct, although I can't agree on the fact on your comment on system efficiency. For me this app helps in categorizing all files I would have to find by myself manually instead. As for what you do with these files, you are on your own. Mac systems don't run as smooth after several OS upgrades and application deletion via "drag-to-the-bin" method as  advertises. Residual files do stayed behind after applications are deleted. They do slow down the system as time goes by. One has to ask himself why this is so? And if there are ways to improve system performance without reinstalling the OS? Launching unnecessary launch agents and daemons, and subjecting OS X to broken links, kernel extensions and phist lists are putting additional loads on your system. Will these slow your system down? Why put unnecessary strain on your outdated Mac if you are like me with a 2008 mbp with a top limit of 4gb of ram? Well you have to ask yourself these questions. Suffice to say, there must be ways to improve your mac's system performance.

Like I said previously there isn't a one-touch button on CleanMyMac that cleans all the files without additional user consent. Know what you are doing! That said, CleanMyMac doesn't find all the relevant files either. I had to find more of them via finder myself.

And if there aren't any reports of users having success with this app in this forum before, let me be the first one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Residual files do stayed behind after applications are deleted.
In most cases, app removal software including CMM doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
They do slow down the system as time goes by.
That is false. Your system doesn't get slower simply because files are stored on the drive, unless you're almost out of drive space. Having data or apps stored on the drive has no impact on performance. Performance is affected by what you have running on your Mac, not what's stored on the drive.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
In most cases, app removal software including CMM doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

That is false. Your system doesn't get slower simply because files are stored on the drive, unless you're almost out of drive space. Having data or apps stored on the drive has no impact on performance. Performance is affected by what you have running on your Mac, not what's stored on the drive.

I did say it doesn't find all the files. And I did say I have to find them myself sometimes.

Your system don't get slow because the files stay on your Mac. But it does get slowed down when these files are ran unnecessarily. Deletion of apps via drag and drop to trash bin is not a good way, whether you believe it or not.

But anyway, why's there a need to convince others when it already is working well for me I guess? :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your system don't get slow because the files stay on your Mac. But it does get slowed down when these files are ran unnecessarily. Deletion of apps via drag and drop to trash bin is not a good way, whether you believe it or not.
I have always recommended complete app removal via the Finder, rather than simply dragging the .app to the trash or using ineffective apps like CMM that sometimes leave behind much larger files than they delete. You're welcome to use any app you wish, but CMM is a basically useless app, ineffective what it claims to do and potentially problematic for many users. Such apps are unnecessary for keeping a Mac running well.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
I did in fact use your method outlined in your post in another thread for almost complete app deletion, except for those relevant files that aren't named use the app's name. Thanks for that!

CleanMyMac shouldn't be a complete solution, but personally for me, it serves as an additional tool for me to view additional files I have previously no idea where they reside.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I did in fact use your method outlined in your post in another thread for almost complete app deletion, except for those relevant files that aren't named use the app's name. Thanks for that!

CleanMyMac shouldn't be a complete solution, but personally for me, it serves as an additional tool for me to view additional files I have previously no idea where they reside.

If you mess up your system, don't come and whine, you have been warned.:p

All the things that program does I can do manually, why even pay money for it.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Haha.. I would love to think I'm good enough to know what I'm doing. Although that said, I don't empty my trash until I'm sure the system is running properly.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
I ran CleanMyMac the time I installed Mt. Lion. My last scan was last January 9, '13 and it recovered a total space of 11.15GB. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. I usually use it when uninstalling applications, and seldom use it to scan junk files to delete it.

Honestly, when I read all the complains, I don't want to open this application again before it wrecks my Mac.

Thank you for all the warnings.

One more thing, is Onyx available now in Mt. Lion? I haven't downloaded Onyx yet because my CleanMyMac was just doing great.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I ran CleanMyMac the time I installed Mt. Lion. My last scan was last January 9, '13 and it recovered a total space of 11.15GB. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. I usually use it when uninstalling applications, and seldom use it to scan junk files to delete it.

Honestly, when I read all the complains, I don't want to open this application again before it wrecks my Mac.

Thank you for all the warnings.

One more thing, is Onyx available now in Mt. Lion? I haven't downloaded Onyx yet because my CleanMyMac was just doing great.

There you go.

• Download ONYX 2.6.5 FOR OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Download and install it for yourself and test and try it for yourself. Many people use it successfully and are happy with it and many people complain that it has caused problems. Make up your own mind, don't listen to others!

Firstly, backup your entire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner if you are concerned, then install it and play around with it for a few weeks and come to your own conclusions.

When it comes to uninstalling Apps, I use this method:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/11171082/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoep-jwMTlc

There are other Apps you may want to try, e.g CCleaner, IceClean, iBoostUp.

However, I have found that many long term and experienced Mac users on this forum frown upon such as Apps, and probably for good reason, so maybe just leave your Mac alone :)

Last edited:
  • Haha

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Good advice!

Some of us might actually know what we're doing. Some of us might have used Unix and Unix-like systems for a couple of decades, some of us might be *nix system administrators with degrees in computer science and finally some of us just might be OCD enough to not want to leave crap all over our systems.

But thanks for the condescending advice. :rolleyes:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Some of us might actually know what we're doing. Some of us might have used Unix and Unix-like systems for a couple of decades, some of us might be *nix system administrators with degrees in computer science and finally some of us just might be OCD enough to not want to leave crap all over our systems.
Anyone with that experience would know how to properly maintain their Mac without using such apps.
But thanks for the condescending advice.
It wasn't condescending. It was serious. Such apps are not necessary to properly maintain a Mac.

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011

Lol. I swear I don't know how you don't lose your mind answering the same question 10 times daily. You must be clergy.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Anyone with that experience would know how to properly maintain their Mac without using such apps.

It wasn't condescending. It was serious. Such apps are not necessary to properly maintain a Mac.

I don't understand your reasoning. You sounded as if there is this magic button where once you pressed, it will just delete whatever "trash" there is in your system without further prompting you. That is not so. What they do is categorically search through your system and find redundant files, and present to you in a way you understand, and beg for your further instructions. That's all. If you don't know what to delete, don't!

It is illogical to ask experienced users to manually maintain their systems, looking through their whole systems when there are more efficient methods to accomplish that with a press of a button and presenting all the files for your perusal automatically. How convenient is that? An app like that is not so different from your method of "manually" searching for all the files from the finder, because I could jolly well say that isn't truly manual enough, since you used filters. You should be search through folders and looking through files yourself one by one without resorting to finder filters shouldn't you?

You make it sounds as if all Mac cleaning apps are evil, and at the same time condescending to a point I personally feel you think all users are ignorant about upkeeping their Mac systems. Perhaps if you can stop to think for a moment, if an app deleted essential files and causes system to crash, it may not be an inherent problem with the software itself, but with the users??

While I compliment you for posting your method for manual app deletion, I can't say its either your way or the highway. I have found there are different ways to accomplishing the same goals in life.

I use CleanMyMac and my system is running fine. So I'm a living proof Mac cleaning app CAN WORK and I know my thumbs from my toes.

Thank you oh so very much.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't understand your reasoning. You sounded as if there is this magic button where once you pressed, it will just delete whatever "trash" there is in your system without further prompting you.
I've never suggested anything like that, although some such apps do delete files without asking first.
What they do is categorically search through your system and find redundant files,
What "redundant files"? Give an example.
It is illogical to ask experienced users to manually maintain their systems,
That's the point. There is no need to "maintain" OS X, with or without such apps, as OS X takes care of itself.
An app like that is not so different from your method of "manually" searching for all the files from the finder, because I could jolly well say that isn't truly manual enough, since you used filters. You should be search through folders and looking through files yourself one by one without resorting to finder filters shouldn't you?
The Finder method I posted is specifically related to removing apps, not general maintenance. Searching is faster and more effective in identifying what app components are installed, since not every app stores components in the same locations.
You make it sounds as if all Mac cleaning apps are evil,
Not evil. Just unnecessary, ineffective and potentially problematic.
and at the same time condescending to a point I personally feel you think all users are ignorant about upkeeping their Mac systems.
It's not condescending to inform users of the facts and to warn them about apps that are unnecessary and have reputations for causing problems. The fact that a few will so fiercely defend such apps leads me to wonder if such protests are veiled shilling attempts. Honestly, use the app if you want, but there is nothing wrong with notifying new users that others have had problems with such apps and that such apps are not needed.
While I compliment you for posting your method for manual app deletion, I can't say its either your way or the highway.
I have never claimed that the manual method of using Finder to identify and delete app components is "my" method. Also, I've never suggested anything resembling "my way or the highway". I inform users of the facts and warn them when appropriate. What they choose to do with that information is up to them. I have no vested interest in anyone buying or not buying any app. It makes me wonder why some would push so hard for people to buy an app in the face of clear evidence that they're not needed, have free alternatives with much better reputations and have a history of causing problems for some users.
I use CleanMyMac and my system is running fine.
Good for you. Congratulations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.