Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I have invested ********s into the apple ecosystem so it will be hard to leave but I always keep my options option. I will probably stay though, I dont get the stale business either they all do the same things and the apps always feel more polished on iOS.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm not sure honestly. Android is a more open, more customizable platform but it has its bugs. A lot of things seem like gimmicks in android, but at least the options are there to begin with. People either love/hate widgets but at least there's options for people to choose. Even a jb iPhone isn't as customizable as android. I like Samsung for at least showing creativity, although iOS is dependable.

For the average consumer apple is all they need in terms of functionality. But for us that like tinkering with their phones, it can seem boring. I hope ios7 is a dramatic redesign.

I still have my 4s bc I didn't feel the 5 was a big enough upgrade, and cuz my phone was jb. In all likelihood I will have the next iPad, Apple TV (both hopefully jb). For the phone though its a toss up between the next iPhone or the galaxy s4

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Personally I find the 5's battery life to be phenomenal, particularly compared to my wife's s3. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen, but otherwise very happy.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'll be staying with the iPhone. I've tinkered with and tried several high end Android handsets and they do have a few feature advantages over the iPhone but I always came back for several reasons and won't make the mistake of going to Android again.

1 - Battery life. Every Android I've used had inferior battery life to the iPhone (especially the iPhone 5). I don't want to have to put my phone in airplane mode or remember to turn off a bunch of settings in fear of the battery dying too quickly, nor do I enjoy carrying around an extra battery.
2 - Apps. Android is catching up in the sheer number of apps but I find that many of the apps are either of lower quality or missing features that are found in their iOS counterparts.
3 - Reliability - Even the Android's that I've used that run ICS or Jellybean still aren't quite as smooth as iOS. Though they have come a long way since the mess that was Gingerbread. Everything seems more stable on the iPhone.
4 - Support - With Apple I can walk into a store and get a warranty exchange for my iPhone right on the spot. No going through carriers and waiting for a box in the mail like with other OEMs.
5 - Backup/Restore of data - I like how with iPhones I have always been able to totally back up everything on my iPhone and then when it is restored all my content, messages, settings, media, everything is exactly as it was on the old iPhone.
6 - Media Player - Every media player I tried on my Android phones was inferior to the default one on the iPhone. Google Play Music stuttered or lagged between songs quite a bit more than the iPhone does when playing music.

I personally don't care much for tinkering with my phone and finding third party apps to perform tasks that work out of the box on my iPhone. Buy the new iPhone, restore from backup, and start using. I see how some people like Android more though. It's not for me. I have a computer for when I want to customize things.

I have the 5 and won't get the 5S though. I'm satisfied for now. LTE and battery life were the most important upgrades that made me get a 5.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
No, Ill be going BACK to the iPhone.... Only IF the next (or the one after the "S" version) is finally a WIDER phone.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I'll consider going back to the iPhone if they do not have sharp edged design anymore. Rounded borders are the way to go to hold the phone comfortably in my opinion.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
I will probably stick with apple, but this time i will definately see up close what other brands have to offer.

I wont blindly rush to the nearest apple store to get a new iphone as i did in earlier days.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I'll be staying with the iPhone. I've tinkered with and tried several high end Android handsets and they do have a few feature advantages over the iPhone but I always came back for several reasons and won't make the mistake of going to Android again.

1 - Battery life. Every Android I've used had inferior battery life to the iPhone (especially the iPhone 5). I don't want to have to put my phone in airplane mode or remember to turn off a bunch of settings in fear of the battery dying too quickly, nor do I enjoy carrying around an extra battery.
2 - Apps. Android is catching up in the sheer number of apps but I find that many of the apps are either of lower quality or missing features that are found in their iOS counterparts.
3 - Reliability - Even the Android's that I've used that run ICS or Jellybean still aren't quite as smooth as iOS. Though they have come a long way since the mess that was Gingerbread. Everything seems more stable on the iPhone.
4 - Support - With Apple I can walk into a store and get a warranty exchange for my iPhone right on the spot. No going through carriers and waiting for a box in the mail like with other OEMs.
5 - Backup/Restore of data - I like how with iPhones I have always been able to totally back up everything on my iPhone and then when it is restored all my content, messages, settings, media, everything is exactly as it was on the old iPhone.
6 - Media Player - Every media player I tried on my Android phones was inferior to the default one on the iPhone. Google Play Music stuttered or lagged between songs quite a bit more than the iPhone does when playing music.

I personally don't care much for tinkering with my phone and finding third party apps to perform tasks that work out of the box on my iPhone. Buy the new iPhone, restore from backup, and start using. I see how some people like Android more though. It's not for me. I have a computer for when I want to customize things.

I have the 5 and won't get the 5S though. I'm satisfied for now. LTE and battery life were the most important upgrades that made me get a 5.

I don't agree with SOME of this. I love my iPhone 5 but I've had great experiences with Android devices. The Galaxy S3 has an amazing battery life on heavy usage. But you're right about the app quality. Jellybean is almost on par with iOS smoothness but I love the features Jellybean offers. It's notification window system is especially sick. Support is sort of dependent on the carrier. For me, whenever I had an issue or if something broke, I'd walk into Sprint and they would service the device and replace any broken parts. Also, Android's backup system does all that of what you said EXCEPT message backup. For that, you need a 3rd party app, which isn't bad as it sounds. The one thing I strongly disagree with is your statement on media players. You're right that most suck and Google Music needs work, but there is one superior app that trumps all media apps, PowerAMP. It's highly tweakable and gives a much better sound experience than iPhone's. I have a lot of high-end speakers and the iPhone distorts some of the sound, especially when bass is involved. PowerAMP took care of that issue and everything sounded flawlessly. I'm sure iPhone's media player would be just as good if Apple implemented a much better equalizer system.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I have slowly built an apple eco system in my home, heavily invested in iTunes and App store. I use apple products because they work so seamlessly together. So yes, YES I will stay with apple.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Yes. I have a 3GS on AT&T that has been eligible since May and I plan on using it for the new iPhone whenever it is released.

I cancelled my 4S on Verizon last week and sold the phone.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
yes i will

NFC: do not want
5" screen: do not want

i have an investment in iOS apps, and run a mac.

Android doesn't have anything that really makes me thing "oooh i want that" - except for maybe an SD slot so i can pop the card out of a Go-pro, and watch on my iPhone...

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
I'll be waiting for my iphone 4 to die and then I'll update to the best offering. So far I'm not impressed by iphone 4s or 5.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
OP: You should add a poll, just for kicks.

I will be staying with the iPhone if for no other reason than I like how all my devices stay connected.

And, at the end of the day, for me it's just a phone.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I'll stick with the iPhone as my daily driver.

Android bores me, but my rooted OG Droid with CM 7.2 is fun to rock.

I gave WP8 a try, and it actually wasn't bad. I just didn't like some of the UI, especially in IE, and there were so few apps.

BB10 looks interesting, as does the rumored hardware. I might check it out when it gets here, and see how I like it.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I recently switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3 running Jellybean.

I have an iPad 3 and quadcore Macbook Pro and I'm going to be getting a new Macbook Air when Haswell comes out.

Oh yeah and I also own Apple stock.

You know it's unfortunate that there seems to be the occasional Apple sycophants on this board whom insist whatever Apple does or says is always right and take Apple marketing talk like the Gospel word.

See I an true Apple fan. Love the stores, the genius bar, the superiority and quality of their hardware, the simplicity of their OS But being a true fan you also need to tell it like it is.

The Galaxy S3 basically sold for the same premium price as the 4S and 5 and took a lot of Apple's business. 22 million would-be iPhone users. This is the first time a smart phone took Apple on in it's home court (the premium smartphone space) and beat Apple at the game Apple invented.

If Tim Cook and company don't refresh IOS 7 and offer a larger screen size I can guarantee you that Apple will continue to loose premium market share.

And saying a long 4" phone is the perfect size is a horrible miscalculation that hopefully Apple will rectify. 22 million Galaxy S3 4.8" screen users (who could've been iPhone users) certainly disprove whatever silly focus group Apple used to make that ridiculous determination. (BTW didn't Steve Jobs consider an iPad mini a tweener and look at the popularity of that device)

Bottom line Tim if your listening
I would like a 4.8" iPhone and I'm not the only one as you can see by the success of the S3 and Note 2. For those that like a 4" phone, well continue making that one too. I would also like a dedicated back button virtual or hardware (this is my favorite feature in Android and just seems so obvious now). and a little facelift for the IOS wouldn't hurt either. I want to come back but to Apple but after surfing the web on a 4.8" screen I ain't going back to 4"

Hopefully Apple will meet the expectations of their customers rather than requiring their customers adapt their expectations to their product line.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I recently switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3 running Jellybean.

I have an iPad 3 and quadcore Macbook Pro and I'm going to be getting a new Macbook Air when Haswell comes out.

Oh yeah and I also own Apple stock.

You know it's unfortunate that there seems to be the occasional Apple sycophants on this board whom insist whatever Apple does or says is always right and take Apple marketing talk like the Gospel word.

See I an true Apple fan. Love the stores, the genius bar, the superiority and quality of their hardware, the simplicity of their OS But being a true fan you also need to tell it like it is.

The Galaxy S3 basically sold for the same premium price as the 4S and 5 and took a lot of Apple's business. 22 million would-be iPhone users. This is the first time a smart phone took Apple on in it's home court (the premium smartphone space) and beat Apple at the game Apple invented.

If Tim Cook and company don't refresh IOS 7 and offer a larger screen size I can guarantee you that Apple will continue to loose premium market share.

And saying a long 4" phone is the perfect size is a horrible miscalculation that hopefully Apple will rectify. 22 million Galaxy S3 4.8" screen users (who could've been iPhone users) certainly disprove whatever silly focus group Apple used to make that ridiculous determination. (BTW didn't Steve Jobs consider an iPad mini a tweener and look at the popularity of that device)

Bottom line Tim if your listening
I would like a 4.8" iPhone and I'm not the only one as you can see by the success of the S3 and Note 2. For those that like a 4" phone, well continue making that one too. I would also like a dedicated back button virtual or hardware (this is my favorite feature in Android and just seems so obvious now). and a little facelift for the IOS wouldn't hurt either. I want to come back but to Apple but after surfing the web on a 4.8" screen I ain't going back to 4"

Hopefully Apple will meet the expectations of their customers rather than requiring their customers adapt their expectations to their product line.

Thank you for this post. Level headed and non-bashing. This is how informed and intelligent consumers should sound and I, for one, appreciate it. Kudos.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
I've been an Iphone user ever since the first one came out many years ago. Look to my sig to see all of the ones I've had. Thanks to apple giving me a bad refurbished phone when my Iphone 4 stopped working and was replaced under warranty they said that they don't extend the warranty. The warrantied phone would not get service and had a pretty bad battery drain. They would not replace it but would take it back and take 150 from me and give me a new refurbished phone. I declined and went to using an old blackberry until I was due for an upgrade.

Thanks to apple not wanting to help me out it allowed me to discover android. I previously used older android on my friends phones and hated it too clunky and not user friendly. Not with Ice cream sandwich and now with project butter and jelly bean, the phone is soo smooth and easy to use, it is leaps and bounds better than any of the Iphones I had previously used. Upon seeing how much of a bust the Iphone 5 was I am glad to say I made the right choice and switching. The way apple is now I do not see myself going back unless they offer something that can benefit me, I am not a brand whore.

Sorry for the long post.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Probably not, I get my upgrade right about when the Galaxy S4 should come out, and the next iPhone looks like it'll be a spec bump.

I'll still have my 5th gen iPod Touch and my Mini for iOS though

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I am waiting to see what Apple does with the next iOS. I really want a substantial update to the UI and more flexibility on customization (being able to remove stock apps would be a start). I still browse MacForums because I haven't given up on Apple, but adding a few new features and giving it a whole new iOS version isn't going to cut it for me anymore.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iOS 7 will be make or break.

Everything about Android is awesome and now that it finally has the iOS apps that I use a lot, its a pretty viable alternate choice.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I honestly don't know, it depends on iOS 7. I'd like a UI refresh, it doesn't have to be a drastic overhaul, but some change would be nice. There are some features I'd really like that aren't available on this platform, I want a better way to manage files, having to constantly hop between apps gets annoying after a while. Also, I'd like to set default apps.

Windows 8 (or whatever it is) doesn't interest me, it looks boring. Android looks tempting but then I remember why I jumped ship in the first place, and the fact that I still have to troubleshoot Android phones (hardware & software) for people makes me not want to go back to that. It looks nice though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.