Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
So Samsung displayed a roadmap of mobile displays at CES2013. And the guys at AnandTech caught a snapshot. Now it's not a big surprise, but it does give a bit of confirmation to what most of us suspected. But what's more interesting to me is the release date on the roadmap. The release dates of the GS3 and Note2 on the roadmap are spot on, so it's not a stretch to believe we may see the GS4 by the end of March.

From AnandTech:

On display was an example roadmap of Samsung AMOLED displays, and at the far right slated for Q1 2013 launch is a Full HD 1080P display 4.99-inches diagonal with 440 PPI. I didn't get close enough to be able to see what the subpixel geometry or stripe was, but 440PPI underneath and the fact that it's the successor to the 5.55" display (from the Note 2) makes me think this is likely RGB.

Samsung is also claiming a 25 percent power saving using a new material on new AMOLED revisions, and also has a low power mode that I don't know much about with 47 percent power savings. Again, I strongly suspect this display will find its way into whatever Galaxy S 4 ends up being.

CES2013-5826.jpg

SOURCE

Last edited:

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
That Roadmap is definitely to the GS4. There's no doubt about it. The 4.99 inches is a little odd, why not just round up to 5 inches. I guess you gotta be exact or get sued for false advertising. No matter. I like the Q1 release date, I like that a lot. If it indeed turns out to be true, then we may see a unveiling and then availability within a few weeks following. 440 PPI!!! Cannot Wait!!!

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Wow a possible release at Mobile World Congress? There's an upgrade available on one of my lines toward the end of February. How convenient if this ends up being true!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It better be rgb. Otherwise just give us an rgb 720p 4.65 inch screen. Essentially an rgb galaxy nexus screen. No point in having the gpu push all those extra pixels if you could get the same detail from a 720p rgb panel.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I am planning on buying a note 2 this Friday but the idea of an S4 dropping within 10 weeks is tempting.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I hope this doesn't come out this soon, samsung has nothing to gain considering they are still selling lots of GS3's right now.

I had 3 iphone 5 users trade up to the game after playing with a friend's.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I hope this doesn't come out this soon, samsung has nothing to gain considering they are still selling lots of GS3's right now.

It's not sooner than their usual yearly cycle for the Galaxy S line. I never buy phones on contract so it's not an issue for me :D

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

Samsung originally wanted to release the GS3 at MWC last year but delayed the release I believe due to component shortages. They might go back to a MWC release, but I wouldn't doubt another May release considering the popularity of the S3.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I love my 4S, and I had the orignal galaxy...but I'm thinking about going back ot the S4. Not really liking the build quality and overall launch of the iPhone 5.

But....

I'm not the largest fan of the Android software in many ways. Decisions.....

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I love my 4S, and I had the orignal galaxy...but I'm thinking about going back ot the S4. Not really liking the build quality and overall launch of the iPhone 5.

But....

I'm not the largest fan of the Android software in many ways. Decisions.....

Maybe you just don't like TouchWiz? The S4 is bound to have a lot of developers working on it so you'll have a lot of custom ROMs to try if you're willing to do that.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
some say this will be out in feb/march then other report saying not before may.

either way if the rumours are true I may get the S4..the abilty to download TV shows and movies with android without going through itunes and paying is a big plus.

FredBakewell

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
As I posted in my the other thread, that I was planning to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 5. But then heard some rumors of next iPhone (may 5S). And yes after few days, I also heard about SGS IV.

Lets see how it is going to be. Their SGS III was quite a good success I guess. Many people bought that phone.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, seeing as how every other flagship phone announced this year (Xperia Z, Droid DNA) have 5", 1080p, 440ppi screens, it's obvious the next Galaxy will follow suit. The big question will be the next Notes screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.