Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes provides more details about the rumored cheaper iPhone that has been circulating. According to their supply chain sources, this new entry-level iPhone is said to adopt plastic for its chassis rather than the glass and aluminum that has been used on their current models.

160101-iphone_3g_s_500.jpg
iPhone 3GS (2009) had a plastic enclosure.​
They also cite other circulating rumors that suggest that the cheaper iPhone will alternatively offer a "chassis mixed with plastic and metal, with the internal metal parts being able to be seen from outside through special design".

The publication also reports that the components for the low-cost iPhone are going through validation and the final product may come to market in the second half of 2013.

Digitimes reignited the long-running rumors of a low-cost iPhone last week. The report was quickly followed by a Wall Street Journal and Reuters report claiming the same, and offering a target price of $99-$149. Subsequent comments by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller seemed to suggest that Apple was dismissive of that possibility, but that article was later retracted by the original publication.

Article Link: Low-Cost iPhone to Use Plastic or Hybrid Plastic/Metal Design, Due in Late 2013

ben123456

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2012
I can see the market. Alot of people I know would love to own a iPhone but can't due to cost.

(Kerfuffle)

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
I still don't understand the point of this when you can get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $100. Plus you get fancy glass and aluminum enclosures with those two.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Maybe Apple cut their orders of iPhone 5 screens to ramp up orders of screens for this?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I still don't understand the point of this when you can get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $100. Plus you get fancy glass and aluminum enclosures with those two.

but you are tied to a contract. This will be primarily used by non-contract folks that do not want to pay high prices for the iPhone.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Only changing the case doesn't seem like enough to offer a considerable discount over the usual price cut for older models. Even an 8gb downgrade on flash memory seems like too little

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I admit, I miss the white plastic roundness of the 3GS. It would make it cheaper instead of aluminium or glass.

It makes sense to make a cheaper one. I just didn't expect it from Apple, but if it sells and works well, why not?

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
To me at least it doesn't really feel Apple to provide a cheap alternative.
Apple knows its market and makes products for that.

Are we going to see cheaper versions of their MacBooks and iMacs?

What they should be doing is discounting the previous generation a bit more than they do.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Yup, iPhone 3G's and 3GS's, which are 3-4 generations old for the low-cost market. I wouldn't be surprised by this.

But seriously, this again? :rolleyes:

iNVERSE

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Every time an article is posted citing DigiTimes, MacRumors conveniently starts the post with "Digitimes..." that way I don't waste my time reading the article.

I don't believe there is a chance there will be a cheap iPhone alternative now, or anytime in the future.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
There wont be a low cost iphone, there is the iphone 4. If they do i will immidiatly pull all my stock out of that company.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If Apple resorts to this,then its truly a sign that Apples innovation and ingenuity are finished. Theres no way Apple can obtain a good profit margin on these Low end iPhones . Besides the country where Apple is going to sell these are more on the poorer side and the people are not purchasing Macs etc.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Every time an article is posted citing DigiTimes, MacRumors conveniently starts the post with "Digitimes..." that way I don't waste my time reading the article.

I don't believe there is a chance there will be a cheap iPhone alternative now, or anytime in the future.

Just like there wasn't going to be a mini iPad or larger iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.