Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
This is pointless, Ok lets assume Apple comes out with a Cheaper iPhone then what? What are you going to do with the iPhone 5S/6 what will be the New Innovative feature and selling point ?

Spicedham

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
A cheap low quality version will never happen. If it does it will hurt the company image. They didn't make cheap netbooks and their 7" tablet is of higher quality than other 7" tablets. Its not apple to make cheap low quality products.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
I think this will be for T-Mobile customers or people who don't want to start a new contract.

T-Mobile is starting their new plans where you buy your own phone and nobody wants to shell out $700 for a new phone.

qpdbqp

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I'm goin' with that this Phone sorta does exist, but merely a project to help Apple pin down some of those security leaks.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
This is pointless, Ok lets assume Apple comes out with a Cheaper iPhone then what? What are you going to do with the iPhone 5S/6 what will be the New Innovative feature and selling point ?

Umm... How does bringing out a budget iPhone impact the 5S/6? It's not like it's going to outshine it or anything. The evolution of the standard iPhone will continue as normal.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That's good to know. Apple may or may not make a phone made partly out of plastic and possibly metal sometime in the future.

Glad I tuned in tonight.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Ugh, just stop it. 85% of the computer market share has been out of the apple price range for decades, and we've yet to see a $500 Mac. Because apple doesn't make bad products for people who can't afford good stuff. That's for dell and whoever else

Super20

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2004
Council Bluffs, IA
Alright, I haven't read all of the posts (long day and school and was just scanning the front page news), but this is just absolutely stupid. There is no way Apple would stoop so low to release a product that was "cheap." They don't need to offer an "entry-level" device because people will pay a premium no matter what.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If Apple resorts to this,then its truly a sign that Apples innovation and ingenuity are finished. Theres no way Apple can obtain a good profit margin on these Low end iPhones . Besides the country where Apple is going to sell these are more on the poorer side and the people are not purchasing Macs etc.

Umm, what?
How does a plastic or hybrid design mean that their innovation or ingenuity is finished? It doesn't. Also, what do you mean they can't make a good profit margin? Pretty sure the mainstream iPhones that have been coming out for the past couple of years costed $200 or so to make. They shouldn't have a problem figuring it out. Plus, even if the profit margins aren't as big as their flagship iPhone... it's not like they would've sold anything in the first place. And the last sentence you wrote I don't understand it.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I don't like it, does BMW use cheaper material to make cars more affordable to people? No they make top cars.

quality>>>quantity

Nope. More quantity = more money. If they could sell the regular iPhone in addition to a cheaper iPhone that will bring in MORE users that don't already have an iPhone. You can't tell me that if you're running Apple you wouldn't make a cheaper iPhone that would bring in more profit just because it's not 'top quality?' Comon now...

In the end it's all about profit. To Apple we're all just $ signs.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I think this will be for T-Mobile customers or people who don't want to start a new contract.

T-Mobile is starting their new plans where you buy your own phone and nobody wants to shell out $700 for a new phone.

I'd be quite fine with a low end iPhone to use with a T-Mobile plan, heck I had considered buying a used 4 to use with them.

jjatie

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Case for a 'cheap' iPhone

While there is already a $0 (on contract) iPhone, there is room for Apple to introduce another.

When the next generation iPhone comes out (5S?), there will be only one device left with a) a 30-pin dock connector and b) a 3.5" screen. A retooling of an iPhone 5 with a cheaper case and the current 4S internals might make sense to hasten Lightning and 4" screens (for devs) ubiquity.

This would of course replace the 4S in the next revision of the iPhone line.

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Steve Jobs truly is dead

If apple starts creating cheaper lower quality products merely to compete with less innovative companies then they will have fundamentally turned their back on the core model that Steve Jobs put in place to make them so successful. The people who buy those cheap models are the exact people that turn companies into commonplace entities with no desire or air of mystery too them. You do not see Bentley making a $20K coupe or True Religion making $15 jeans and you never will because then those brands like apple would lose their key ingredients, quality and exclusivity.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Maybe something in the $399-499 range without contract?
$650 may be a tough sell for prepaid (even though the overall costs are much lower than contract plans)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I can see the market. Alot of people I know would love to own a iPhone but can't due to cost.

A lot of people I know would love to own a Macbook Air but can't due to cost.

Where does Apple draw the line? Should every Apple product have a low-cost alternative?

The danger is... the iPhone Mini becomes attractive enough for the masses...

Then who would spend the full $650 for an iPhone ever again?

There's already talk of the iPad Mini taking sales away from the $499 iPad... would Apple risk that with their cash-cow iPhone?

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
A cheap low quality version will never happen. If it does it will hurt the company image. They didn't make cheap netbooks and their 7" tablet is of higher quality than other 7" tablets. Its not apple to make cheap low quality products.

Agreed. i think its a bad look for them.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
If apple starts creating cheaper lower quality products merely to compete with less innovative companies then they will have fundamentally turned their back on the core model that Steve Jobs put in place to make them so successful. The people who buy those cheap models are the exact people that turn companies into commonplace entities with no desire or air of mystery too them. You do not see Bentley making a $20K coupe or True Religion making $15 jeans and you never will because then those brands like apple would lose their key ingredients, quality and exclusivity.

Those companies arent the most valuable in the world. Apple caters to wall street now.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Alright, I haven't read all of the posts (long day and school and was just scanning the front page news), but this is just absolutely stupid. There is no way Apple would stoop so low to release a product that was "cheap." They don't need to offer an "entry-level" device because people will pay a premium no matter what.

What about the entry level Macs?

Sweetchilli

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Sydney, Australia
To me at least it doesn't really feel Apple to provide a cheap alternative.
Apple knows its market and makes products for that.

Are we going to see cheaper versions of their MacBooks and iMacs?

What they should be doing is discounting the previous generation a bit more than they do.

we did didnt we ? the plastic Macbooks. Its a similar scenario so its plausible to me. and it was in the jobs era too.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/25aug09_mbreds.jpg

CoryS

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
News!!!

New low-cost iPhone to use cardboard, styrofoam and a special type of fungi to penetrate the market of junk phones. This is expected to appeal heavily to hobos and politicians. It's due late 1987. Here's a picture of a part that leaked from a FauxConn factory:

3.1.4_fungi_3.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.