Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I just wanted to share my experience at the Genius Bar for those of you interested.

I brought my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar yesterday due to something in my camera. They were super busy and told me to come back tomorrow. When I got there, the Genius told me that they were not able to replace just the camera, but they would have to replace the entire phone. The Genius did his thing, and came back a few minutes later with a "new" iPhone 5. I was just about to leave the store, but I noticed a dent in the corner. The employee fetched another one, and there were scratches on the bezel. 3 iPhones later, the Genius said that they were only allowed to open 3 iPhones. The problem persisted in all of the phones we had looked at, so I called the manager over. She allowed the Genius to bring a few more back. After 7 or so, they stopped opening phones. Even though all of them had defects, I had to choose from the best one. This annoyed me quite a bit because I paid over $500 for this phone, and I expect there to be no scratches, scuffs, and dents right out of the box.

Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? I am curious to hear what you guys have to say.

Edit: Camera issues for anyone who cares. You can see the dark patch near the botton left corner.
link

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Small hairline fractures are going to happen when you use the phone anyway after 3 I would have cut my losses and left.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I call this a BS. Pictures or it didn't happen. Not picture of the blob in camera, but the so called 7 phones.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I call this a BS. Pictures or it didn't happen. Not picture of the blob in camera, but the so called 7 phones.

I'm sure it is possible. When the iPhone 4S came out I had a really yellow screen. I ended up having the Genius and Manager open up 5 replacement phones until I found a less tinted screen. They were all horrible. They all came from the same factory and had the same build week.

Mobilemaduk

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I had the same issue in the Meadowhall Apple Store (UK) with 3 phones. The 4th was fine and I accepted that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.