Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stofect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Recently I moved to a new apartment and found that the wifi network is very slow on my macbook air (mid-2011, with Mac OS X Mountain Lion), but all other devices including Windows PC, iPad and iPhone are normal.

Then I connected the Macbook Air to the router with a USB network adaptor and ethernet cable, but still very slow, quite strange. Also, I booted to Windows via boot camp, also very slow.

I googled it, and found many people have similar problem, but no solution...

Because it happened to my macbook only, and I think it is some compatibility issue between the router and macbook air. The router is from motorola and I think it is a cable modem.

Finally, I decided to change some settings in the router, to check if it possible to solve the problem. Finally, I found it, the firewall setting.

By default, the firewall protection is enabled. After I disabled it, problem solved.

I share this experience and it may help someone else. And I also wonder that does anyone know the reason?

BTY, I live in Mexico City now.

Attachments

• firewall.png
    firewall.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 207

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
OK...

So I assume those are the current settings that work?

What are the old (no work) settings looked like?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.