Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zukernik

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Hong Kong
I still don't understand the point of this when you can get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $100. Plus you get fancy glass and aluminum enclosures with those two.

Because 'Muricah is not the only country in the world, something that is often forgotten on these forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Because 'Muricah is not the only country in the world, something that is often forgotten on these forums.

Please stop posting like all of us Americans are rednecks. In fact, many of us hope that rednecks who make America look bad like that all pack up and go start their own country, because they give America a bad name!

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
I carry a dumbphone and iPod touch not because the initial cost of the iPhone is too high but because the contract is prohibitive relative to the value for an immobile person like myself. For me the overall cost would need to come down. I'd even buy an iPhone like phone without cellular data, in short an iPod touch with voice. The market for dumbphones is ripe. I haven't upgraded for several years because the dumbphones haven't improved and costs have gone up.

This. I completely share this idea. Gimme an iPod Touch with a cellular chip and I get it. My 4G Touch is always with me, it does exactly what I need.

I would simply like to have a phone that is integrated with the iOS/Mac OS ecosystem I have been creating. Windows Phone and Android, although worth a look, are not capable of doing so. Sell this iPhone Touch for 350 euros, 8GB version, 512 MB RAM, and it is gonna be mine.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Nope. More quantity = more money. If they could sell the regular iPhone in addition to a cheaper iPhone that will bring in MORE users that don't already have an iPhone. You can't tell me that if you're running Apple you wouldn't make a cheaper iPhone that would bring in more profit just because it's not 'top quality?' Comon now...

In the end it's all about profit. To Apple we're all just $ signs.

Apple owns 75% of the profit in the market, they seem to be doing alright. You can't destroy you're business model for extra profit. Look at in and out burgers. They don't try 99 cent crappy burgers, they keep it simple with High quality and that place is always packed.

----------

That's why Samsung... I mean Toyota sells more cars.

That's fine, but Apple makes more money and owns 75% of the profit of mobile sales . Do you want to sell more or make more money?

----------

Take that, plastic haters :cool:

----------

Yeah, and BMW aren't growing at a ridiculous rate, are they?

Yeah actually they are. It's an expensive car, it won't be as common as Honda or Toyota crappy quality.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I still don't understand the point of this when you can get an iPhone 4 for free or a 4S for $100. Plus you get fancy glass and aluminum enclosures with those two.

The point is that you get a "new" up-to date(sort of) iPhone that Apple just released. It makes people feel better when they know they have the latest version.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It would be worth it... Just. They wouldn't make much profit at all on $149 phones like the Galaxy Y - But most companies don't have standards as high as Apple's when it comes to profit margins. If they don't make a hundred dollar POS, someone else will, so they may as well go for the $20 or whatever profit on each phone. Better them than another company.

That's why I said maybe $300 will be the price... earning about $150 in profit.

10 million new customers at $150 in profit is an extra $1.5 billion that they couldn't have before. And it will grow... $300 is a much more attractive starting price for many markets across the globe.

It will open up more doors than the $450 starting price that the iPhone has now.

Don't forget... the regular iPhones will still be there... earning the same profit as always.

But a cheaper iPhone available to more people that also earns a profit... will generate even more cash.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
God it would be nice if Apple rumor sites stopped posting garbage from DigiTmes. Especially absurd stuff like a see through plastic phone. Do the people that edit this site not have a BS detector?

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
And both companies are successful while still maintaining a full product line covering all price ranges.

Can you believe Toyota is responsible for the $14,000 Yaris and the $120,000 Lexus LS Hybrid?

I think people are worried that a cheaper iPhone will cheapen the brand. I'm not so sure. Think different products for different people.

A Lexus buyer isn't looking at the Yaris... and a Yaris buyer can't afford a Lexus at all. But both cars have a market.

If Apple produces a $300 plastic "budget" iPhone... it will be an additional model to compliment the metal "good" iPhone. The good iPhone isn't going away.

Well said,
When Apple came up with iPhone in 2007 , target was to sell around 10 million units in first year. Now,Apple's iPhone division is full-fledged phone manufacturing company competing with other companies & rules of Phone market apply to iPhone as well. Hence like any other phone manufacturing company, they need model to cater entry level as well as high end model. Selling only expensive phone will hurt Apple.
As of now,price sensitive people are preferring Samsung phones. If difference between iPhone (low cost variant) & other phone is less , those guys will definitely go for iPhone (As Apple brand stands for superior quality)

Like it or not but in future,iPhone is not going to be exclusive phone. :apple:

Last edited:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
It actually wouldn't be totally shocking to see Apple release a newly designed, budget model iPhone. They're still selling millions of iPhone 4 & 4S models that aren't equipped with the latest cellular tech or Apple's new proprietary Lightning connector.

Eventually it becomes less cost effective to continue using old components than it does to update them with what's currently on the market in large quantities, or to maintain consistency with other products.

If Apple is pursuing emerging markets with this theoretical product, the last thing they'd want to do is get that whole market embedded with the old connector. It makes no sense.

Updating the iPhone 4 design to utilize the Lightning connector also makes little sense. An attractive design could certainly be built using plastics. It would help to reduce costs and pricing as a result. It could also incorporate the 16x9 aspect ratio of the new iPhones, reducing fragmentation of the OS as well.

Will Apple release a $99 no contract iPhone? I don't think so for a minute. But replacing the aging 4th generation design would make sense on a few different levels.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That's fine, but Apple makes more money and owns 75% of the profit of mobile sales. Do you want to sell more or make more money?

They can actually do both.

There are some people who cannot afford a $450 iPhone. Apple makes ZERO dollars from them.

However... if Apple had a $300 iPhone that still made a profit... that's extra money in Apple's pocket.

Oh... and Apple still sells the $450, $550, $650, $750 and $850 iPhones too.

Pelesit

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Please stop posting like all of us Americans are rednecks. In fact, many of us hope that rednecks who make America look bad like that all pack up and go start their own country, because they give America a bad name!

About which America are you talking? North or south? Since there are two continents named like this. And I#m sure you are not a redhead and know how a things name.

jjatie

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Ixnay on that one. If the design causes supply constraints because of build complexity, then it is anything but "best designed and manufactured".

Perhaps "best manufactured" is the right way of putting it, maybe "one of the best made?" Well designed, however has nothing to do with supply constraints. To quote Jobs, "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." The design that is concerned in your argument is that of the manufacturing process itself.

While having supply is important, a lack of supply does not impact the quality of the product. The only reason supply is constrained is because, between the screen lamination and friction stir welding, Apple is pushing the limits of what is currently feasible.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It actually wouldn't be totally shocking to see Apple release a newly designed, budget model iPhone. They're still selling millions of iPhone 4 & 4S models that aren't equipped with the latest cellular tech or Apple's new proprietary Lightning connector.

Eventually it becomes less cost effective to continue using old components than it does to update them with what's currently on the market in large quantities, or to maintain consistency with other products.

If Apple is pursuing emerging markets with this theoretical product, the last thing they'd want to do is get that whole market embedded with the old connector. It makes no sense.

Updating the iPhone 4 design to utilize the Lightning connector also makes little sense. An attractive design could certainly be built using plastics. It would help to reduce costs and pricing as a result. It could also incorporate the 16x9 aspect ratio of the new iPhones, reducing fragmentation of the OS as well.

Will Apple release a $99 no contract iPhone? I don't think so for a minute. But replacing the aging 4th generation design would make sense on a few different levels.
Or DigiTimes is just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. A plastic see-through phone. What are we back to 1998 now? :rolleyes:

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
iPhones cost 600€ here and you can't get them cheaper on contract. Releasing a cheaper iPhone model is a good idea, just like the iPad mini (I got one because of that).

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
About which America are you talking? North or south? Since there are two continents named like this. And I#m sure you are not a redhead and know how a things name.

The United States of America. Because America is the last part of the name, the denonym (Sp?) of United States of America is American, which in shorthand, becomes just "America" when referring to the nation as a whole.

Yes we realize there are two continents North & South America.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012

There are some people who cannot afford a $450 iPhone. Apple makes ZERO dollars from them.

However... if Apple had a $300 iPhone that still made a profit... that's extra money in Apple's pocket.

Oh... and Apple still sells the $450, $550, $650, $750 and $850 iPhones too.

Who cares, don't ruin your business model because people can't afford it. It will be impossible to catch everyone on the demand curve. Stick to making top beautiful products.

Other great companies don't lower the quality of their items so more people can afford them. Should Louis Vuitton make cheaper bags? In and out sell 99 cent crappy cheeseburgers?

celloman

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
Dangit. I think this would be a bad move. It would be a definite step backward for Apple. They are settling. They aren't making "great products". Apple is definitely going into its same slump when they fired Steve in the old days.

This makes me disappointed.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Who cares, don't ruin your business model because people can't afford it. It will be impossible to catch everyone on the demand curve. Stick to making top beautiful products.

Other great companies don't lower the quality of their items so more people can afford them. Should Louis Vuitton make cheaper bags? In and out sell 99 cent crappy cheeseburgers?

Did you miss the part where I said they can still make the normal beautiful iPhones too?

The existence of a budget iPhone doesn't diminish the quality of the flagship iPhone.

It would be an additional product... not a replacement.

Also... check out my earlier comment about how automakers can sell budget cars and luxury cars.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Ugh, just stop it. 85% of the computer market share has been out of the apple price range for decades, and we've yet to see a $500 Mac. Because apple doesn't make bad products for people who can't afford good stuff. That's for dell and whoever else

China, India, Brazil, etc, etc, etc.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Not if most of the $450 iPhone buyers switch to the cheaper lower margin models. Then Apple would lose too much high margin profit to make it up with the lower margins on the cheaper model, even if it is profitable.

The only way to make extra money is to make a phone that almost none of the current expensive iPhone customers would want, even with a significant price savings.

How could Ives design a new product so ugly (or feature crippled) that most current Apple smartphone fans wouldn't switch?

A difficult problem.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I don't like it, does BMW use cheaper material to make cars more affordable to people? No they make top cars.

quality>>>quantity

But they do. They have tried using cheap labour and the quality fell through the floor, they have also made some absolute mounters eg X3, cheap, tacky and built to a low quality.

People really should stop using car analogies. They don't work.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I'd like a smaller cheaper iPhone. With my iPad at home I don't need the huge screen. So I'm definitely getting one of these.

The nay sayers are probably the same people who did not believe in the iPad mini, or iPod mini/nano etc for that matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.