Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan.apham

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Pfff, like China's an important market.

Ok, because it only helps Apple generate 4 billion USD of revenue annually.

On the topic: I find it funny that China is the place where Apple devices are assembled, yet it often receives the release date so late.

Wingsy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
No Queue (rhymes with "No Clue")

And then on the following day of their release you will find articles about how there were no long lines of people in front of Apple stores, even though pick ups will be by appointment only. Stock will drop. Just watch.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
And then on the following day of their release you will find articles about how there were no long lines of people in front of Apple stores, even though pick ups will be by appointment only. Stock will drop. Just watch.

Appointments is one reason. The other reason is that queues are largely caused by scalpers (who buy at regular price and sell at a high price to people who couldn't get one because everything was bought by scalpers), but since these releases are quite late after the initial release, I'd think that supply is basically unlimited, so scalpers can't create any scarcity.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If Apple never designed their portables with Retina Display nobody would've cared. It's not like all their LCD laden products sucked before Retina came out. :p

That is like saying if we didn't have HD tv's we would never no the difference. To release a portable with that resolution in 2012/2013 is just poor. Once you have had something good it is hard to go back. I could never imagine owning a tube tv.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
That is like saying if we didn't have HD tv's we would never no the difference. To release a portable with that resolution in 2012/2013 is just poor. Once you have had something good it is hard to go back. I could never imagine owning a tube tv.

That's a poor analogy unless you add in that this tube tv (I know this isn't possible physically, but it makes the analogy work) was incorporated into a new television so thin, light and flexible that you could roll it up and take it with you extremely easily. The (tube) screen is obviously not as good as other offerings and newer technologies, but the tech that went into this new device is new and that is what makes this new television, which you can roll up, so exciting and amazing.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's a poor analogy unless you add in that this tube tv (I know this isn't possible physically, but it makes the analogy work) was incorporated into a new television so thin, light and flexible that you could roll it up and take it with you extremely easily. The (tube) screen is obviously not as good as other offerings and newer technologies, but the tech that went into this new device is new and that is what makes this new television, which you can roll up, so exciting and amazing.

I am 100% talking about the screen quality....not the form factor. All else equal....going back to a tube screen vs an HD screen is a big difference (retina/HD to standard def)

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
well....USA will be presenting the 2nd gen version in less than a couple months...

I doubt it, this was just a random rumour with no evidence to back it up at all. If release was 2 months away they would already be in volume production and their would have been leaked parts and photos by now.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I am 100% talking about the screen quality....not the form factor. All else equal....going back to a tube screen vs an HD screen is a big difference (retina/HD to standard def)

But there's always a context, and this conversation started with Apple products not incorporating retina, and then it went suddenly to just the screen and ignored the context with your tube tv analogy. I simply completed your (very good) analogy.

But focusing in on a single item and taking it out of context (and it's not just screens, its RAM and CPU and on and on) provides an easy way for some (not saying you, this isn't focused at you at all) to judge negatively and slam the whole product because of one item or component, ignoring all the rest, and some believe when you can contradict, be negative or slam something, then that demonstrates superiority. ;)

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
If Apple never designed their portables with Retina Display nobody would've cared. It's not like all their LCD laden products sucked before Retina came out. :p

You're right, they should have stuck with the 336 x 240 LCD from the Newton and no one would have ever known any better.

Or not, my $199 Nexus7 has a higher resolution display than the $329 iPad Mini.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
But there's always a context, and this conversation started with Apple products not incorporating retina, and then it went suddenly to just the screen and ignored the context with your tube tv analogy. I simply completed your (very good) analogy.

But focusing in on a single item and taking it out of context (and it's not just screens, its RAM and CPU and on and on) provides an easy way for some (not saying you, this isn't focused at you at all) to judge negatively and slam the whole product because of one item or component, ignoring all the rest, and some believe when you can contradict, be negative or slam something, then that demonstrates superiority. ;)

You know what, once I re-read that post I realized you were completing as you said haha :)

Darth Stig

macrumors newbie
Software Update?

just run software update

That would be good if it was available...but...I have a 1st gen iPad, stuck with iOS5 as iOS6 (sans Siri) is not available for it, even though it is available for the older iPhone 3GS. Color me pissed!! Apple don't always release the software updates (even cut down ones) for all the available hardware in order to push you to update, which I was going to do in the shape of an iPad with Retina (4th gen) but will now wait until March to see what happens. And in the meantime I will look at other options!!:cool:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Independent of the scale of the retail presence, the real news is the full support for two major dialects of Chinese on a "smartphone" which is a stealth handtop supercomputer. Soon to be in the hands of millions of Chinese. That's a thing.

And a walled garden even a red Chinese can be comfortable with!

Rocketman

Supercomputer? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.