Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
So I just got my 27" 2012 iMac, unplugged my Bose Companion 2's from my Mini... only to find there was no audio jack for the speakers on the back of the iMac! :confused: Can anyone recommend a good solution?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Um, you might want to look again.

Attachments

• ports_hero.jpg
    ports_hero.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,566

roanmartigan

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Do you think adding a DAC would enhance audio quality or is the integrated DAC of the iMac good enough?

It really depends on the quality of the speakers/amp you are going to use for this setup. If you are spending US$60 on a pair of Logitech speakers then a DAC is overkill, but if this will be part of your house sound system powered by Cabasse and Teac, then clearly a DAC will improve the output (even a cheap one).

For the Bose Companion I'd say overkill.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It really depends on the quality of the speakers/amp you are going to use for this setup. If you are spending US$60 on a pair of Logitech speakers then a DAC is overkill, but if this will be part of your house sound system powered by Cabasse and Teac, then clearly a DAC will improve the output (even a cheap one).

For the Bose Companion I'd say overkill.

Cool. Thank you. Would it be an overkill for Bose Companion 2, 3 AND 5 or shall I take your comment was intended primarily for the 2?

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
I wouldn't buy a DAC is you aren't using a good stereo amplifier...
It's overkill for all Bose Companion models.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I wouldn't buy a DAC is you aren't using a good stereo amplifier...
It's overkill for all Bose Companion models.

Thank you. Sounds fair. I've got an Arcam delta 290 which is currently hooked up to an Airport Express for Airplay elsewhere in the house, but I don't want to hook it up to the new iMac. It'll kind of defeat the object of an AIO form factor.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Do you think adding a DAC would enhance audio quality or is the integrated DAC of the iMac good enough?

If you are using the optical out on the iMac like i do it will depend on the DAC in the device you plug it into, i plug mine into an expensive Yamaha amp with has high quality dacs so there is no need for a dedicated one, if you are plugging it into a cheaper amp a dedicated DAC could improve sound markedly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.