Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodaga53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I put a new code in my iPhone last night, woke this morning and forgot it. If i reset my iPhone through iTunes will i lose my text that have been coming in all morning?

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
[/COLOR]
I put a new code in my iPhone last night, woke this morning and forgot it. If i reset my iPhone through iTunes will i lose my text that have been coming in all morning?

It will restore anything you had on your last backup and lose everything else.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

If you have backed up your phone on iTunes before then you should be able to back it up again even though it is asking for a passcode. Then you won't lose anything.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If you have backed up your phone on iTunes before then you should be able to back it up again even though it is asking for a passcode. Then you won't lose anything.

He won't have the text that have been coming in this morning since he didn't backup.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
fyi... you can back up the phone in iTunes before restoring and not lose anything, even if you don't know the unlock code.

bodaga53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
fyi... you can back up the phone in iTunes before restoring and not lose anything, even if you don't know the unlock code.

How do I do that when it's telling me i can't backup because iphone is locked? PLEASE HELP...

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
the problem is, its asking for the passcode (i forgot) before it will allow a new backup...

Sounds like you never backed it up if it's asking for a password for a new backup. I have never seen that message.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Its always supposed to ask for your pin before backup/sync ... how do you guarantee your data security otherwise ?? Anybody can connect and backup your data to their system if they get a hand on your phone even though its pin locked :confused:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Its always supposed to ask for your pin before backup/sync ... how do you guarantee your data security otherwise ?? Anybody can connect and backup your data to their system if they get a hand on your phone even though its pin locked :confused:

No it doesn't always ask for the pin if it recognizes the computer. Only for new computers it recognizes the pin.

----------

the problem is, its asking for the passcode (i forgot) before it will allow a new backup...
Ringing alarm bells for a stolen iPhone for me. If you synced it before with the computer it wouldn't ask for a pass code.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
bodaga53 - its asking for the passcode - before it will allow a new backup...
Sounds like you never backed it up if it's asking for a password for a new backup. I have never seen that message.
Correct - something's up - more than minor rearranged screen lock.
Over 3 years - never need code to sync.
To Attempt to Unlock - would Cancel Sync - Doh!

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
if the phone is unlocked prior to backing up it will not ask you for the passcode even if your phone has one set. if the phone is locked it will not let you sync or backup until you enter the passcode on the phone and unlock it, this is for security.

the people saying it's never happened for them probably because your phone wasn't locked asking for the passcode.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
if the phone is unlocked prior to backing up it will not ask you for the passcode even if your phone has one set. if the phone is locked it will not let you sync or backup until you enter the passcode on the phone and unlock it, this is for security.

the people saying it's never happened for them probably because your phone wasn't locked asking for the passcode.

This isn't completely true. The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked. I have recovered multiple phones with forgotten passwords this way with no loss of data (seems to come up more often than one might think).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This isn't completely true. The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked.

Exactly this. I just plugged in my locked iPhone 5 to the mac I sync to all the time, and it's backing up right now, while still locked.

The lock will only be a problem if you're trying to do this on a computer that your iPhone hasn't synced to (or, if you've set the device up and never synced to any desktop/laptop).

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
bova80 the people saying it's never happened for them probably because your phone wasn't locked asking for the passcode.
This isn't completely true.
The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked.
BOVA - try it right now -

I'll repeat - plugging in & while in Sync with locked screen -
No Attempt can be made to Unlock -
the only option with slider on phone is killing Sync

greenslucy

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

That is true, but the password for the backup is different from the password on the phone. It is easy to set a backup password one time and then forget years later when it asks you again for the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.