Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gala

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
I'm looking into getting a second Apple TV for my house but am wondering if there would be any reason I should hold off until the next keynote in the event they roll a new one out with drastically better specs than this last generation.

Is there any reason to think that the current model/chip isn't equipped to handle any TV style app rumors that might come to fruition in the immediate future. Your thought?

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
I learned a long time ago that if I'm constantly waiting for the "next big thing", that I never enjoy what I currently have. I do still pay attention to the keynotes and new products and such, but I have learned to be content with what I have, when it meets or exceeds my needs.

I would recommend that you take a look at the current Apple TV. Does it meet your needs? Does it provide the features and functionality that you desire? If so, then purchase it and don't worry about what may be coming out in the future. There will ALWAYS be a "new and improved" something or other coming out at some point, so if you stay focused on what may be, you'll never enjoy what is.

As for the processing power, I understand that the processor in the current Apple TV is similar to that in the iPhone 4s (please correct me if I'm wrong). The iPhone 4s can run multiple apps without any issue, so I see no reason why the Apple TV couldn't do the same, if Apple releases any.

Jeff

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
As for the processing power, I understand that the processor in the current Apple TV is similar to that in the iPhone 4s (please correct me if I'm wrong). The iPhone 4s can run multiple apps without any issue, so I see no reason why the Apple TV couldn't do the same, if Apple releases any.

I remember reading that the processor is a single core A5 instead of the 4s' dual core. I could be wrong on that front though.

Either way, OP, the current model is a great box, and I wouldn't hesitate to order another if I needed more. I really couldn't see a reason for Apple to exclude it should they announce an app store. That said, if you need another now, I'd buy now. I've been seeing sales for units around $85 online.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I remember reading that the processor is a single core A5 instead of the 4s' dual core. I could be wrong on that front though.

Either way, OP, the current model is a great box, and I wouldn't hesitate to order another if I needed more. I really couldn't see a reason for Apple to exclude it should they announce an app store. That said, if you need another now, I'd buy now. I've been seeing sales for units around $85 online.

Agreed. I just bought a new one last month and we've really enjoyed it since then, as we've used it a lot. Glad I didn't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.