Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
It's 12.9 seconds. I used to have a higher performance car but I bought this one because I found that driving where I live I spent most of my time in traffic or on the motorway at a constant 70mph. I don't need a huge engine to do either of those things.

I do love the handling of this car as well as the awesome heated front windscreen. If it is icy I just press a button and wait and the windscreen is clear.

Remember this is coming from the people that can't drive a car over 70 legally

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It'll take longer and normal. But is there a need to go 85+? Not trying to argue as I go 80-90 in a 60-70.

Only if you wanna burn fuel much faster. Highway mileage goes to complete crap at those higher speeds. Going 90 will get you probably like half the mpg of 70 mph.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
It's 12.9 seconds. I used to have a higher performance car but I bought this one because I found that driving where I live I spent most of my time in traffic or on the motorway at a constant 70mph. I don't need a huge engine to do either of those things.

I do love the handling of this car as well as the awesome heated front windscreen. If it is icy I just press a button and wait and the windscreen is clear.

Well, i'm glad your happy, how's the MPG?

mikeschmeee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I love that green NSX!

Here's a photo of my Prelude after a recent snow fall.

SnowDayPrelude.jpg

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
there is a limit and it's slow, 60-70Hp will run 70-80MPH with out issue

A car with 60-70HP isn't very practical unless it's strictly a grocery getter where only one adult will be riding in the car. Even if it can run at 70-80MPH in places without an inclination with one adult driving the car, it's going to be running at a high RPM in the last gear. Not only is that annoying, but what happens when you need to accelerate to pass a car or to avoid a situation? 60-70HP seems way too little, even the Scion iQ offers 94HP. With a car that has a top speed of 90MPH, saying that it will do 70-80MPH without issue is asking too much.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
A car with 60-70HP isn't very practical unless it's strictly a grocery getter where only one adult will be riding in the car. Even if it can run at 70-80MPH in places without an inclination with one adult driving the car, it's going to be running at a high RPM in the last gear. Not only is that annoying, but what happens when you need to accelerate to pass a car or to avoid a situation? 60-70HP seems way too little, even the Scion iQ offers 94HP. With a car that has a top speed of 90MPH, saying that it will do 70-80MPH without issue is asking too much.

That is not correct myself my wife drove a polo 6N all over for years. We drove it regularly on the autobahn at 100 mph even over inclines.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
That is not correct myself my wife drove a polo 6N all over for years. We drove it regularly on the autobahn at 100 mph even over inclines.

We don't have Polo's (although we have Golfs) in the US, but after a quick google search, they aren't producing as little as 60-70HP, but rather around 100HP.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
We don't have Polo's (although we have Golfs) in the US, but after a quick google search, they aren't producing as little as 60-70HP, but rather around 100HP.

You google fu isn't very strong...and golfs are golfs

The Mark III Polo or Typ 6N, (sometimes referred to as the "Mark 4" by enthusiasts as it is the Polo's fourth guise) appeared in 1994,[1][7] and was a completely new model (on a new chassis), available as 3- and 5-door hatchback versions, the latter making VW the last major European manufacturer to finally offer four doors in this class. It shared its platform with the SEAT Ibiza Mark 2. This platform actually used the floorpan of the Volkswagen Golf Mk3 (a multitude of mechanical parts and all of the suspension components were interchangeable among the three models). Although the dashboard and a number of mechanical components, including engines, were shared with the Ibiza, outwardly the two cars were different, with no shared body panels.

The saloon and estate versions of the Mark III were essentially rebadged SEAT Córdobas, which were launched a year earlier. They were referred to internally by Volkswagen as the Typ 6KV, and shared body panels with the SEAT model rather than the Polo hatchback models, with some cosmetic alterations such as new rear and front bumpers and headlights. The Volkswagen Caddy 9K van also shares the same platform and front-end styling as the 6KV models.

The Volkswagen Lupo and SEAT Arosa city cars were based on a shortened version of the Typ 6N platform, and shared many components.

The car was available with the following engines:

1043 cc straight-4 petrol 33 kW (45 PS) (1995–96)
1272 cc straight-4 petrol 40 kW (55 PS) (1995–96)
1.6 L straight-4 petrol 55 kW (75 PS) (Engine Code - AEE)
1.4 L straight-4 16-valve petrol 74 kW (100 PS) (Engine Code - AFH)
1.4 L straight-4 petrol 60 PS (44 kW)(1996–)
999 cc straight-4 petrol 50 PS (37 kW) — all-new aluminium block multi-point injection (1996–)
1.6 L straight-4 16-valve petrol 88 kW (120 PS) (LHD European GTI model only)
1.6 L straight-4 petrol 74 kW (100 PS) (6K saloon and estate models only)
1.6 L straight-4 petrol 55 kW (75 PS) (6K saloon and estate models only)
1.9 L straight-4 diesel 47 kW (64 PS)

Polo Mark III Facelift (Typ 6N2, 2000–2002)
Volkswagen Polo Mark IIIF (6N2)
Production 2000–2002 (Mark IIIF)
Assembly Navarra, Spain
Martorell, Spain
Bratislava, Slovakia
Body style 3-door hatchback
5-door hatchback
4-door saloon
Platform Volkswagen Group A03
Related SEAT Ibiza Mk2
SEAT Cordoba Mk1
SEAT Inca
VW Caddy
VW Polo Classic

The facelifted Mark III Phase II[3] (or Typ 6N2; sometimes referred to as the Mark IIIF or "Mark 5" by enthusiasts) was released in 2000.[1][8] The hatchback models featured updated styling including new headlights and bumpers and an all new interior based on that of the Lupo. Although the car was similar in appearance to the Mark III, Volkswagen claimed that 70% of the components were new. The bodyshell was fully galvanised and stiffened but not fully redesigned, although some panels were changed. Twin airbags were made standard. The saloon and estate versions received the new interior, but not the full exterior facelift. Also, the 3-cylinder 1.4 TDI engine was introduced for the 3 and 5-door hatchbacks as well as a 1.6 16v GTI version. The Mark IIIF Polo Classic is still sold in Argentina.

Both versions of the Mark III Polo were strong sellers in the UK and strong competitor for the likes of the Fiat Punto and Nissan Micra. At the time of its launch, it was arguably the best small car on sale in Britain in terms of build quality and "upmarket" feel. The 1.4 TDI was considered the best in the range due to its reliability, fuel consumption, and relative power, for a small engine.

Awards

1999 Used Car Buyer "Greatest Used Car Buy Awards" – Best Economy Car
1998 Top Gear Magazine "Top Cars" – Best Supermini
1997 Auto Express "New Car Honours" – Best Supermini
1997 "Complete Car of the Year Awards" – Best Supermini
1995 Which? Magazine "Best Buys" – Best Supermini
1996 Semperit Irish Car of the Year
1995 What Car? – Car of the Year

Polo Playa (1996–2002)
Main article: Volkswagen Polo Playa

The Volkswagen Polo Playa was a model for the South African market. It was sold instead of the European Polo Mark III from 1996 until 2002, and was effectively a rebadged SEAT Ibiza Mark II. In 2002, the Mark IV Polo was adopted in South Africa, and the separate Polo Playa model was dropped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Polo

Being that I'm American I am intimately aware of what car's are available in the state and which are not. I am also aware of the driving difference between the States and Germany. We had a 1996 Polo 6N 1.2L It looked just like this:

Attachments

• Volkswagen__Polo_Purple.JPG
    Volkswagen__Polo_Purple.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 939

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
what happens when you need to accelerate to pass a car or to avoid a situation? 60-70HP seems way too little, even the Scion iQ offers 94HP.

Hit the brakes. I doubt most drivers know when to properly get out of a situation with the accelerator. If it's because your in traffic and someome is going to rear end you, you still have enough power to get out of the way to switch lanes or pull to the side. Besides, with such a slow car, you should not be speeding anyway. It's like a Prius speeding...just don't.

Anyway, on to pics!

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006

Can you give an example of where you had to accelerate from 70mph "to avoid a situation"?

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Can you give an example of where you had to accelerate from 70mph "to avoid a situation"?

Sure. There is a deer ahead in your lane. You don't want to hit the deer, you speed up to pass the car to your left to enter the lane on your left since there are 3 cars behind the leading car. It's not uncommon that people drive at 80MPH in the left lane. Not the ideal way to deal with the situation, but it's one way I suppose. I guess you could also accelerate to avoid being rear-ended or to avoid being hit from the side when some idiot is trying to merge into your lane, yet doesn't realize that you're right next to him.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Only if you wanna burn fuel much faster. Highway mileage goes to complete crap at those higher speeds. Going 90 will get you probably like half the mpg of 70 mph.

My truck gets 12-15mpg anyways. I fill up at 300miles and spend $350 in gas a month.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
My truck gets 12-15mpg anyways. I fill up at 300miles and spend $350 in gas a month.

You would get much better on the highway if you slowed down trust me. By huge margin too. The rpms at 90 mph are much higher than at 70 which means theres more resistance by the engine which reduces mpg significantly. You probably can get close to 20 on the highway if you didn't speed maybe even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.