Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Objector

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Dear iMac-enthousiasts,

At the moment I'm contemplating to buy a SSD-drive to speed up my iMac. A couple of years ago I used a SSD in my Windows Desktop and to be honest I miss the performance of a non-mechanical drive.

Next to normal day-to-day tasks I also use my iMac for making and recording music. For example I write drums with a VST called Superior Drummer and one of my presets has to load around 1,8GB into the memory. With my old Windows desktop the loading was lightyears ahead of my iMac... So I'm really experiencing the power of my iMac being held down by the drive.

I've done a little research and it seems like I have two viable options. Hopefully some members can give their opinion or insight regarding these options.

Option 1: Installing an internal SSD

I could order a Crucial SSD and try to install it myself. I've seen a couple of tutorials and to be honest I'm not sure whether I want to take the risk of opening up my iMac. I have experience with the assembly of desktop PC's and some basic electronics, but I don't feel confident enough to tinker with a 2k+ device.

Option 2: Using an external Thunderbolt SSD

The Lacie 128gb Thunderbolt SSD can be had for around 200€ and this drive woudl enable me to get decent speeds without opening my iMac. I can either use the drive for only apps or I can even use it as a bootdrive.

Since my 2009 MBP would benefit a lot from an SSD I was even thinking that in the long run I can put the 128GB from the Lacie on the inside of the MBP (much simpler as iMac) and then I could buy a high-end SSD for the Thunderbolt enclosure.

What do you guys thinks?

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.