Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
The Samsung SE-506AB has just arrived and as such I'd like to backup my BluRay collection. Unfortunately my work laptop is very low performance, so I don't expect much ripping to be done in work today. However nonetheless, I'd like to know how BluRays are ripped on Windows PCs.

As I use Mac at home, I was led to believe that either Handbrake or MakeMKV would do the job. So I've installed Handbrake on my PC in work and just tried to rip the first BluRay to which it throws the error: 'Your source may be copy protected, badly mastered...'.

I assume the BluRay is plug and play, despite coming with a CD, so I haven't installed anything from it yet. Can anyone advice on how I rip BluRay on a Windows PC and if I will encounter the same Handbrake error on my Mac?

Update: Installed MakeMKV and it works out of the box. Excellent.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The Samsung SE-506AB has just arrived and as such I'd like to backup my BluRay collection. Unfortunately my work laptop is very low performance, so I don't expect much ripping to be done in work today. However nonetheless, I'd like to know how BluRays are ripped on Windows PCs.

As I use Mac at home, I was led to believe that either Handbrake or MakeMKV would do the job. So I've installed Handbrake on my PC in work and just tried to rip the first BluRay to which it throws the error: 'Your source may be copy protected, badly mastered...'.

I assume the BluRay is plug and play, despite coming with a CD, so I haven't installed anything from it yet. Can anyone advice on how I rip BluRay on a Windows PC and if I will encounter the same Handbrake error on my Mac?

Update: Installed MakeMKV and it works out of the box. Excellent.
IMO, MakeMKV is the product to use. If you need to convert mkv to mp4, use HB. And...it's all supported by donation, not fee.

Onewheelnick

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
was led to believe that either Handbrake or MakeMKV would do the job.

My workflow uses MakeMKV AND Handbrake. Maybe that's what you were hearing.

1 -Use MakeMKV to rip the blu-ray to a huge MKV file.

2 - Use Handbrake (AppleTV preset) to convert the MKV to a file you can put in your iTunes library and view on AppleTV.

On my Mac Mini, step one takes about 30 minutes. Step 2 takes around 10 hours. But it's with it.

Also, you can use the queue feature in Handbrake to make two files. One HD for AppleTV and one SD to load onto the ipad.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
My workflow uses MakeMKV AND Handbrake. Maybe that's what you were hearing.

1 -Use MakeMKV to rip the blu-ray to a huge MKV file.

2 - Use Handbrake (AppleTV preset) to convert the MKV to a file you can put in your iTunes library and view on AppleTV.

On my Mac Mini, step one takes about 30 minutes. Step 2 takes around 10 hours. But it's with it.

Also, you can use the queue feature in Handbrake to make two files. One HD for AppleTV and one SD to load onto the ipad.

Great reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.