Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
All this drama will end soon. At a certain price point, all the negativity will be priced. I am tired of reading that competitor did this or that, is up xx% or down yy%. The story is always repeating itself.

Android will fade because of lacking innovation. Like any OS. you don't change an OS in computer science. You improve it only. Google will write off Motorola acquisition. Microsoft will spend billions for the Xbox 720. HTC, Nokia, RIM will fight to be profitable, etc. ...

In front of that, is Apple seriously in trouble? Lets talk after the earnings, not before. Because I seriously doubt people who say Apple is in trouble have tangible data.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
All this drama will end soon. At a certain price point, all the negativity will be priced. I am tired of reading that competitor did this or that, is up xx% or down yy%. The story is always repeating itself.

Android will fade because of lacking innovation. Like any OS. you don't change an OS in computer science. You improve it only. Google will write off Motorola acquisition. Microsoft will spend billions for the Xbox 720. HTC, Nokia, RIM will fight to be profitable, etc. ...

In front of that, is Apple seriously in trouble? Lets talk after the earnings, not before. Because I seriously doubt people who say Apple is in trouble have tangible data.

Sorry to burst your bubble - but Android isn't going anywhere. I don't think Apple is either. But your middle paragraph is pretty obtuse.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
People said the same thing back in the Beige Apple PPC Computer days....

Maybe they're slashing iPhone 5 Part orders as they are getting ready for the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6... :eek:

Weak demand are due to the rumors about a new iPhone plus all the FREE Android/Windows Phones around now with "more/better features" (whatever that means - one of those phones was so large, I couldn't hold it or use it with one hand).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Weak demand are due to the rumors about a new iPhone plus all the FREE Android/Windows Phones around now with "more/better features" (whatever that means - one of those phones was so large, I couldn't hold it or use it with one hand).

Which free phones are you talking about that people are choosing over the iPhone? And do you know that you can also get a free iPhone these days?

KnightWRX explained the reasons for the decrease in orders. Why no one bothers to read his post (let alone others in this thread) is beyond me.

----------

Self fufilling prophecies. Someone predicts something, then makes sure it happens just to say he was right.

Here's irony for you. You and I? We're labeled "anti-Apple" and yet the writer of this article ON MacRumors posts this retread of an article casting even more doom and gloom (in my opinion) without doing some research of his own (like you did).

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Same author misinterpreted a simple press release from ATT with a headline which was link bait as well.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Android will fade because of lacking innovation. Like any OS. you don't change an OS in computer science. You improve it only.

So iOS will fade because of lacking innovation. Like any OS....
So OS X will fade because of lacking innovation. Like any OS....

Maybe you need to read up on actual operating system architecture and how operating systems evolve over time.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
-So basically the screen stays on if you're looking at it?oh god what such innovation
-Yeah because sometimes I want to move my movies from phone to phone
-HDR,takes 3 pictures,chooses the best one of the 3 and lets you keep the original(only if it took 8 pics right?)
Yes that is exactly what HDR does. lol....

Didn't bother with the rest of the uninformed drivel.

Michael

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Sacasm ignore mode on - respond with more sarcasm
-So basically the screen stays on if you're looking at it?oh god what such innovation
I agree, it's a rather celever solutuon that saves you from tapping the screen to keep it awake when reading.

-Yeah because sometimes I want to move my movies from phone to phone
I see people Bluetoothing things from phone to phone all the time. Taking advantage of NFC and Wifi to do the same thing is a rather novel idea. You may not want to share videos easily and seamlessly with friends but I'm sure other will.

-HDR,takes 3 pictures,chooses the best one of the 3 and lets you keep the original(only if it took 8 pics right?)
That's.... not.... the same is it? Here take these straws you are grasping at.

-PhotoStream but that only works if your friends have the same device as you?wow thats really good,Apple should do that(and then get killed by it)l
I'd assume it could also work across other and future Samsung Galaxy devices (Galaxy Note II, Mini). What would kill Apple implementing another closed standard that only works on Apple hardware? (iMassage, AirPlay and FaceTime - something Apple did promise to make into an Open Standard.) They're fine doing this stuff as it is.

-So people complained Apple facebook integration was a no feature but something that helps you tag your facebook friends on a picture on your phone is a killer feature on S3?yeah sounds like an objective view of things

I am not "people", nor may I share the same view as "people". "People" may dislike the social integration Samsung offer but that is hardly a dent on my objectivity.

-Practical advantages besides bragging rights?checking twitter and facebook at the same time?this is something very few people actually use besides bragging about it.

What's not practical to you may be a boon for others. See that bit the objective view above that you wrote and ingest it.

Now on hardware, what innovations do you expect from Samsung in future? The world's fist 8 core ARM chipset for phones? (android needz all that powah cuz is suxx lulz)Flexible OLED displays?

The raw hardware upgrades between the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy S III may not have been mind blowing but the software and hardware improvements as a whole on the two phones makes them worlds apart feature wise. You are more than welcome to disagree but to say "Samsung did just the same Apple did." when it's readily apparant Samsung added some rather significant features to the SIII vs the SII thanks to the improved software and hardware combined is a bit of a mis-step I feel.

Apologies if you get a million quote notifications from the multi-quotes I've done.

----------

Yes that is exactly what HDR does. lol....

Didn't bother with the rest of the uninformed drivel.

Michael

Wait till he learns about the 20 shot burst mode. It's like HDR mode.... Only 6.66666666667 times more..... :D

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Whatever drove Apple stock prices down, a rumour or a true information, doesn't matter because stock price reflects future expectations rather than current or past achievements. And the price decrease might be triggered by a false rumour but is sustained by a majority of other factors and reality.

Lets see. People tend to forget that just in January 2009, after introduction of iPhone 3Gs, Apple stock was as low as less then 80 dollars. With iPhone 4S and iPad2, stock was still around 325 dollars. Only introduction of iPad 3 moved the stock higher than 500 dollars and only with introduction of iPhone 5 reached 700 dollars.

z_zpse1c52140.png
[/IMG]

The peak of Apple price in September reaching 700 was really a peak, as I think. Between 2010 and 2012, Apple became a leading supplier of smartphone first on ATT, then on Verizon and then Sprint. There is simply not much left to expand US carriers anymore, except T-mobile, whose future is not that certain.

In terms of smartphones, one can see that highest growth was brought by 3GS from 78$ to more than 200 $.

iPhone4 even combined with iPad increased the stock price only from 200 to 300 dollars.

iPad 2 and 4S moved the price from 300 to almost 600 dollars.

iPad 3 actually drove stock price down; so is iPhone 5's introduction back to 500.

The downward movement of Apple stock happened AFTER every introduction of new models and slumps continued for at least 2 months, or even for half a year like in 2011, despite iPhone CDMA.

The upward movement of Apple stock always happened BEFORE introduction of new models and rise continued for 3 months in general before the introduction.

The largest spike in Apple prices in 2012 happened TWICE because of introduction of 2 new products as iPad 3 retina and iPhone 5; stock now is 489 dollars which similar to price of stock in February 2012.

Bottom line: we are now two months AFTER introduction of iPad4/iPad mini and iPhone 5. This slump may continue until February/March.

If the Wall Street is right, it means investor are in slump period for Apple and they don't believe that Apple will introduce anything new until May/June because the rise hasn't started.

If only Apple could wait until February to introduce iPad 4, then the stock price wouldn't fall as now and would be actually in rise period. However, things are done, all new models are introduced and there is no exciting mythical new things to come at least until May/June according to investors.

I would expect the Apple price to stabilize around 500 and start rising after February maybe in March in anticipation for June announcements (whatever it is, 5S or not).
As one can see, Summer announcement are very strong stock price generators as compared to much weaker January announcements which leave stock stagnating or even falling for some time.

Since it is rumored that second half of 2013 may see newer iPhones, iPad 5 and cheap iPhones, stock rebound will come in March or 3 months before June.

Based on previous experience, every new iPhone/iPad models drives Apple stock up by approximately 100-200 dollars, 2012 being abnormally high for whatever reasons, maybe on strength of iPad3 retina.

So, March-June rise on average must reach around 600 dollars. This is sustained level of stock price as I believe because it is consistent with all previous stock price fluctuations.

So one can judge 200 dollar price increase in 2012 as being overshooting of long term sustained price.

I believe that by June appl will be around 600 dollars.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sad really that the actual confirmed information is only a week away, yet a single paper in a well respected publication is nailing the stock. The investment market really is based on trust rather than actual health of the given companies.

One of the reasons I pay little attention to the stock price and find the "Apple has biggest market cap!" arguments to be daft.

However... this slide might be a good time to buy into the stock... hum...
Seems to me there's Apple the company and AAPL the stock and the two are never much related to each other. The stock is perception, the company is reality. Though I still think there's some manipulation going on. That story in the WSJ was a rehash of an earlier story. And it's not by accident that the story went up on their site Sunday night. But the biggest reason I say manipulation is one investor - Doug Kass - basically admitted he was spreading FUD to drive the stock price down. And then when it got around $500 he started talking up the company saying it was a good buy. Again I agree with John Gruber - if this isn't stock manipulation I've got a bridge to sell you.

M

Mr.damien

So no, Google has not said that it will be useless for years as you said.

So no, NFC has nothing to do with the Galaxy bug as you implied

What apologies? You have only spreade wrong facts. The ones deserving apologies are the ones reading your claims
I have only spread real facts and backed them with real articles contrary to everything you say on this site.

But keep your head in the sand it's ok.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Lets see. People tend to forget that just in January 2009, after introduction of iPhone 3Gs, Apple stock was as low as less then 80 dollars.

Hum... no... no one has forgotten one of the biggest crash in the stock market in recent history. That as little to do with Apple, expectations or whatever else and everything to do with the housing market in the US tanking.

You know, the little economic crisis we've been going through the last few years ?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Same author misinterpreted a simple press release from ATT with a headline which was link bait as well.
Just because you have a different interpretation of something doesn't mean the way it was reflected here was a misinterpretation. ;). But I do agree if someone puts up a post about a press release or specific article they should use the original headline. It seems more and more people are following the Matt Drudge model. I really do believe he started the whole notion of "click bait".

----------

s/Apple/<any other company>/g
s/AAPL/<any other stock>/g

And you've pretty much nailed it. ;)
Or replace Apple with Amazon and I've really nailed it. Their P/E is 3,200; Apple's is 11. Talk about alternate reality.

Firebot

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/02/news/companies/Research_earnings/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Research in Motion, the maker of the popular BlackBerry wireless device, said fourth-quarter profits and sales both doubled over the same quarter last year, thanks to strong gains in subscribers.

Less then 5 years ago, RIM was an unstoppable force.

How many users do you know still use BlackBerry? I'm seeing the same exact decline happening right now in recent months with the iPhone (outside of an Apple fan site). Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just because you have a different interpretation of something doesn't mean the way it was reflected here was a misinterpretation. ;). But I do agree if someone puts up a post about a press release or specific article they should use the original headline. It seems more and more people are following the Matt Drudge model. I really do believe he started the whole notion of "click bait".

This article lacks any original content/research other than hyping the doom/gloom aspect which is pure link bait.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Hum... no... no one has forgotten one of the biggest crash in the stock market in recent history. That as little to do with Apple, expectations or whatever else and everything to do with the housing market in the US tanking.

You know, the little economic crisis we've been going through the last few years ?

Stock market didn't crush every time a new iPhone model was released. Yet Apple prices are always higher before release of a new model and lower after because its simple investment rule: play on uncertainty of new model; sell after the actual model is released. You are right in one regard that absolute level of Apple stock in january 2009 was in very weak market conditions in general. Let me tell you that while the crush has passed, growth hasn't really picked up yet, so all those years market has been in bad shape.

Which didn't preclude sharp fluctuations in Apple price which I am describing and it has nothing to do with bailout or falling of Lehman brothers.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Which free phones are you talking about that people are choosing over the iPhone? And do you know that you can also get a free iPhone these days?

KnightWRX explained the reasons for the decrease in orders. Why no one bothers to read his post (let alone others in this thread) is beyond me.

----------

My friends were scammed at the Verizon dealer where the rep said they weren't eligible for a free iPhone 4, and had to get the free Samsung (but they really were) - there's a lot of this going on.

Plus, I see people with a lot of these large Android phones that were free which are "better" than the iPhone 4.

btw as far as slashing iPhone 5 Parts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1525979/

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'm also surprised (not really) to not see any mention of the fact that Verizon introduced the iPhone 4 in Feb 2011. Those 2 year contracts expire in the next month. The 2 big questions are then: 1) How many of them will upgrade? and 2) How many of them will stick with Apple? To me this is the big silver lining for the Jan-Mar quarter. That and a T-mobile introduction.

In times like this, I find it helpful to remember words of wisdom from Warren Buffett:
“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
You wrote the word phone in caps not me. You used the tired and outdated phrase "it's a PHONE" which is meaningless in this day and age. Why would I continue reading after that nonsense? There was no other way to take it other than to assert there is little need for additional features or functionality when it is, after-all, "just a phone."

Stop being obtuse. There was no implication in anything I wrote that iPhone is ONLY a phone or that it doesn't need "additional features or functionality". It would be clear to anyone who bothered to read the entire conversation (not you apparently).

Instead of reading and comprehending what's being said - your responded with some pointless explanation of iPhone being more than just a phone. Gee wiz, thanks - what would we all do without that enlightening bit of knowledge! :rolleyes:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Man, if I had the money, I would buy all the stock I could handle.

I believe that the introduction of the iPad Mini, coupled with the iPhone 5 will yield huge numbers for Apple. We'll have to wait and see if this is the case.

Regardless, they say buy stock on the products you use, and unless they change the way they operate, I'll never stop using Apple:

For me, it is about "feel". There are 2 main features that Android has that I want: multiple user accounts and a bigger (at least 4.5) screen.

However, I am spoiled by Apple's smoothness. Everything is just.so.smooth! From their trackpads to the iPhone screens, I just cannot give it up. I've yet to use an Android phone or non-Apple laptop that compares. I just like their "feel". This is very subjective; I know. Add to that superior security to that of its competitors, coupled with an already well-established ecosystem, and I'm stuck. This Kool-Aid is delicious!

So, all this talk about Apple's doom and stock-price downward spiral is irrelevant to me (but entertaining :) ). I'll continue to buy Apple, 'cause I've yet to see anything better (for me), either here now or down the pike. And if I could, I'd buy A LOT of stock.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Man, if I had the money, I would buy all the stock I could handle.

I believe that the introduction of the iPad Mini, coupled with the iPhone 5 will yield huge numbers for Apple. We'll have to wait and see if this is the case.

Regardless, they say buy stock on the products you use, and unless they change the way they operate, I'll never stop using Apple:

For me, it is about "feel". There are 2 main features that Android has that I want: multiple user accounts and a bigger (at least 4.5) screen.

However, I am spoiled by Apple's smoothness. Everything is just.so.smooth! From their trackpads to the iPhone screens, I just cannot give it up. I've yet to use an Android phone or non-Apple laptop that compares. I just like their "feel". This is very subjective; I know. Add to that superior security to that of its competitors, coupled with an already well-established ecosystem, and I'm stuck. This Kool-Aid is delicious!

So, all this talk about Apple's doom and stock-price downward spiral is irrelevant to me (but entertaining :) ). I'll continue to buy Apple, 'cause I've yet to see anything better (for me), either here now or down the pike. And if I could, I'd buy A LOT of stock.

I just bought 250 shares. Like you, I'm not going to buy into this bs article from wsj because all signs point to it being a load of crap!

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
My friends were scammed at the Verizon dealer where the rep said they weren't eligible for a free iPhone 4, and had to get the free Samsung (but they really were) - there's a lot of this going on.

Plus, I see people with a lot of these large Android phones that were free which are "better" than the iPhone 4.

btw as far as slashing iPhone 5 Parts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1525979/

That's also a part of the problem for Apple, they should work on getting a better partnership with carriers so that they encourage the iPhone vs Android phones.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
All this stuff of Phil Schiller's -- "we're not going to reduce price to compromise quality" -- is the same tape recorder as Apple's approach in the late 80's, when Apple did not see it coming. Apple did not see it coming then, and Apple does not see it coming now.
bound to repeat history's mistakes.

Well, you have me convinced. The fact that it happened that way before guarantees that it will happen the exact same way this time. Screw this, I'm buying a Dell and a Galaxy Whateverthehellnumberitisthismonth

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

LOL Android will fade... Sorry buddy, both Android and iOS are here for another decade at least.

----------

Well, you have me convinced. The fact that it happened that way before guarantees that it will happen the exact same way this time. Screw this, I'm buying a Dell and a Galaxy Whateverthehellnumberitisthismonth

If you mean a Galaxy S, they are updated once a year only so you don't need to wonder what model it is every month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.