Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
+1. You'd think Apple would have the cash to work on both the Mac line and the iOS line at the same time :rolleyes:
Why the sarcasm? How is it so difficult for the most expensive company in the world to work on a line of computers and a line of iToys at the same time?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
That will work for me.

Guess the 5s will not have any major upgrades.

Plenty of potential updates:

1. IGZO display (lower power) with Gorilla Glass 3.
  2. A7 processor with second gen 'Swift' cores (for example, Qualcomm revamped their cache on their second gen Krait cores) and ImgTec 'Rogue' GPU cores. Built on TSMC's 28nm process.
  3. LPDDR3
  4. They could go 2.5D and use TSV to give the GPU a WideIO memory bus. (like PS Vita)
  5. Second generation 28nm LTE chip from Qualcomm capable of LTE Advanced.
  6. 128 GB storage capacity option.
  7. Another camera upgrade.
  8. Potential battery modifications.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So his checks indicate that iPhone 5s will have the same size, same screen resolution, same design (meaning no NFC, no wireless charging). Then what's the rush to release this phone earlier? It's the same phone (unless they redue the size of RAM because I doubt that Apple will increase RAM :D)

Geez, if you don't like the 17" because it's a "behemoth" or "Boat anchor" I get that, it's to big for what you like, but please stop with acting like it's weighs 50lbs. If you are too big a pansy to carry it around, might I suggest eating more spinach or hitting the gym?

I have traveled with this 17" MBP for years, and I am still alive to tell the tale. And no worse for ware adding 2 more lbs. to my travel bag. Are you sure you guys are not Nutnfancy? just wanting to give me crap about carrying around a few extra oz. for SAWC?

And I see a lot of other 17" MBP out their, I am certainly not the only one.
And that's great they bumped the rez on the 15" MBP, let me just bust out my magnifier for reading small fine print.

Last edited:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
So are we presuming the 5S will be a spec bump and little else? If so, what's the point? The iPhone 5 is perfectly fast & powerful already.

The point is: I'm due for an upgrade this fall. Give me a spec bump damnit! Please include a larger storage option (more than 64GB) as part of that spec bump, please.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Plenty of potential updates:

1. IGZO display (lower power) with Gorilla Glass 3.
  2. A7 processor with second gen 'Swift' cores and ImgTec 'Rogue' GPU cores. Built on TSMC's 28nm process.
  3. Second generation 28nm LTE chip from Qualcomm capable of LTE Advanced.
  4. 128 GB storage capacity option.
  5. Another camera upgrade.
  6. Potential battery modifications.

Regular user will not see any difference. What's the rush to release it then? It will not increase the sales.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
The Fandroids grow more obnoxious by the day.

How do you think everyone else has felt about Apple fans the last ten years or so? I'm an Apple devotee, but it must be said, there is a contingent among the fan base that is utterly shameful - they're usually ones with a holier-than-thou attitude who think that their consumption of a particular consumer electronic device makes them wiser than those who've opted for something else. Such a pity.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
cmon apple hurry up with new iphone, please please i need new iphone badddd...hurry pleaseeee....i also need new ipad 5th gen and new mini ipad 2nd gen, and if possible new ipod, please hurry, wwdc soon please!!!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Actually, Apple has done ONE thing since Steve's passing... made thinner, lighter versions of things that were already plenty thin and light. They did this to the iMac, the iPhone, and the Macbook Pro.

I really think this company is lost without Jobs. They're just running on fumes now. :(

Good grief, I heard the same whinging when Jobs was alive. "No one will buy a $500 MP3 player!" "The iPad is just a big iPhone!" "Laptop-on-a-stick!" "The iPhone 4S isn't a significant upgrade!" Enough with the silly notion that work at Apple has stopped since Job passed - or that every Jobs-led product intro was a revolution.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Regular user will not see any difference. What's the rush to release it then? It will not increase the sales.

Define 'regular user'.

A regular user wouldn't notice significantly improved battery life from an IGZO display? A regular user wouldn't notice significantly more graphic intensive games due to the new GPU? A regular user wouldn't notice better shots from the camera? 64GB of additional max NAND storage?

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
It will be another nail in their coffin

I realize that Chicken Little always cries that the sky is falling when it comes to new iPhone releases. But this time around, if Apple doesn't release a bigger phone, I think people who've been holding out hope are finally going to bail.

Like it or not, large displays are becoming the norm. Samsung sales have increased 23% this year already and iPhone interest has waned 21%. (Source)

Consumers want options and Apple needs to meet those demands. If they want to keep the 4" inch phone as an option, that's great. I think it's nice to have variety. But they need to break this cycle of releasing "S" phones with hardware updates and move on to a solid iPhone 6 release with a large display.

I still have the iPhone 4S. Although the iPhone 5 looks nice, it just wasn't a big enough to warrant $199 of my money. In fact, I was tempted to buy an Android, but didn't because I still feel that Apple makes the best phones in the world.

So I've held out hope that 2013 would bring an iPhone that could compete. I really hope it does, and this isn't just my opinion. It's the way many consumers feel.

Apple has to listen to what the public wants, not tell them what they need.

Can't please everyone. Just because Apple hasn't "innovated" recently doesn't mean the iPhone is a horrible device. The iPhone 5 works VERY well and is IMO Apple's best phone to date.

The iPhone 4 was a huge step up when it released.

Apple isn't a perfect company. They're not gonna be able to keep wowing us. Jumping to Android just because you're bored with iOS doesn't even make sense. How is Android innovating? I'm sure that'll get tired too...

Apple has been the same during Jobs and AFTER Jobs. It's just that you guys are becoming unbearably critical because he's gone and because Apple has so much money.

Now that Apple is the "it" product, the golden child, everyone is losing their minds.

no one said that the iPhone is a horrible device, just getting a little long in the tooth for my liking. The iPhone works fantastic, iOS is a great OS, I just happen to like setting up my phone the way that I want it, and not the way others tell me how to run it. If you are one of those folks who are comfortable with Apple, cool brother, I get it, but let's be honest, Apple is resting on their (well deserved) laurels for my liking.

And who cares how much money Apple has, what does that have to do with anything? I don't care if they are the wealthiest or poorest company on the planet. It would be nice for something new to come out of Apple for a change instead of another law suit in my opinion.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
How do you think everyone else has felt about Apple fans the last ten years or so? I'm an Apple devotee, but it must be said, there is a contingent among the fan base that is utterly shameful - they're usually ones with a holier-than-thou attitude who think that their consumption of a particular consumer electronic device makes them wiser than those who've opted for something else. Such a pity.

The irony is, Android fans have become the Apple fans they so loathed just a few years ago.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I don't remember the last time I needed to use an optical drive.
I just used an optical drive the other day to install drivers for my new Samsung printer and before that, I used my USB Apple Superdrive to import a couple of CD's from a Juno award winning artist who performed at a christmas dinner gala I was at back in late november.

I bought the USB Superdrive for my rMBP to be able to periodically access disc media and even write to DVDs.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
So it's time for apple to step up and move to iphone 6 instead of 5s crap. Look at the stock value. It's time to change things. I don't care what anyone thinks that whatever apple does is always correct.. It clearly is not. Time to shake things up.

They did shake things up with the managerial changes made a few months back.

I don't think we'll see it's effects (major ones, at least) this soon.

Whether Apple needs to change things remains to be seen. Apple will do what is best for Apple, in the end. I want some different things from them (bigger iPhone, Retina 17" MBP), but I don't think it realistic to expect them; it's not how they operate.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yawn. Man I love my apple products and hate android, but APPLE HAS TO DO SOMETHING more innovative if they want to keep people's attention. The last iPhone that caught my attention was the 4. The 4s, the 5 and the "new" 5s just aren't exciting. Give us something new here.
What exactly do you want to see? 5" screen? Teardrop form factor? Widgets? What would you consider "exciting"?

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Do Apple fans camp out at the Android forums all day to denigrate the competition?

Not everyone who says something positive about an Android phone is a troll. And as I don't hang out on Android forums all day (choosing instead to 'hang out' on this Apple forum occasionally), I have no idea what other people's practices are. Perhaps you've done some research into this? Let me know when you publish your findings.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Good grief, I heard the same whinging when Jobs was alive. "No one will buy a $500 MP3 player!" "The iPad is just a big iPhone!" "Laptop-on-a-stick!" "The iPhone 4S isn't a significant upgrade!" Enough with the silly notion that work at Apple has stopped since Job passed - or that every Jobs-led product intro was a revolution.
No, of course not everything Jobs released was a revolution. But over the past 5 years, all their "new" products have been rehashes of pretty much the same thing, just made lighter or smaller or with a different screen.

All they're really doing is trying to stretch the revolution the iPhone ushered in to its maximum potential, and I truly believe they're reaching the limit of how long they can keep going with it.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Define 'regular user'.

A regular user wouldn't notice significantly improved battery life from an IGZO display? A regular user wouldn't notice significantly more graphic intensive games due to the new GPU? A regular user wouldn't notice better shots from the camera? 64GB of max NAND storage?

My mom is a regular user ;) Current GPU is plenty fast for phone games. In fact it's an overkill for the screen of this size. Phones are good for casual gaming only where GPU requirements are not that high (Angry Birds would run just fine on GPU 10x slower than what iPhone has now :)). Higher resolution for phone cameras is mostly pointless too. The only way to really improve camera experience in smart phones would need better lenses and they can't have it. I am not arguing that all these improvements are not worthy. They do make sense. But they will not differentiate iPhone from anything else on the market. So why to speed up the release? Did you notice how Apple started advertising second microphone used for noise canceling? As if other phones did not have one :D

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
This is exactly the sort of news that has all but killed current iPhone 5 sales and driven the value of Apple's stock way down. Pretty poor business plan. The ghost of Steve Jobs is rolling over somewhere.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Like it or not, large displays are becoming the norm. Samsung sales have increased 23% this year already and iPhone interest has waned 21%. (Source)

The highest percentage ever (71%) said they plan to buy an iphone in the next 90 days. That number went down to 50% after 90 days. The samsung number went up in those 90 days. Did you ever stop to think the people that wanted iphones simply just bought them? The people that didn't bought something else?

My mom is a regular user ;) Current GPU is plenty fast for phone games. In fact it's an overkill for the screen of this size. Phones are good for casual gaming only where GPU requirements are not that high (Angry Birds would run just fine on GPU 10x slower than what iPhone has now :)). Higher resolution for phone cameras is mostly pointless too. The only way to really improve camera experience in smart phones would need better lenses and they can't have it. I am not arguing that all these improvements are not worthy. They do make sense. But they will not differentiate iPhone from anything else on the market. So why to speed up the release? Did you notice how Apple started advertising second microphone used for noise canceling? As if other phones did not have one :D

So your mom wouldn't notice her battery lasting longer? She wouldn't notice she could store more than before if she bought the bigger one?

Phones are good for whatever gaming the market demands. Infinity Blade has been the most profitable venture for Epic Games in terms of ROI, so I'd say there's a demand for graphically intensive games on mobile handsets.

As for the noise cancelling, how many average consumers knew many phones did that? Apple presented in a typical Apple way, and many consumers may leave thinking that only apple does that because they're the only ones to advertise it. Other manufacturers seem to be only concerned with pointing out how they're different than the iphone, which isn't always a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.