Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
hi all

is there any noticeable difference in overall performance between the i7 2.3 and the i7 2.6 Ghz on the first model of 15" Retina MBP ?

i'm going to order with 16 Gb of RAM and 256 SSD but still hesitating for the processor

not a gamer, editing lots of RAW pics when returning from trips, otherwise no intensive work

but wondering if extra frequency really gives additional speed

thanks

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
If $100 extra isnt a big deal to you, than 2.6

2.3 will have SLIGHTLY better battery life and not that significant of performance increase, unless you like to show off benchmarks.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was asking myself the same question a few months ago, and then just went with the 2.6 GHz model. Haven't thought about that question since. I also certainly don't regret spending a little extra.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
why cut yourself off from the best?

wait till mid 2013 and pick up a 3.6Ghz Haswell for the same price if not cheaper than your options now :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For $100 more for 300MHz extra speed (both at the base and turbo boost) going from the 2.3GHz to the 2.6GHz seems worth it. I'm not sure why people would spend the extra $250 to go from the 2.6GHz to the 2.7GHz, though.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
For $100 more for 300MHz extra speed (both at the base and turbo boost) going from the 2.3GHz to the 2.6GHz seems worth it. I'm not sure why people would spend the extra $250 to go from the 2.6GHz to the 2.7GHz, though.

I went with the 2.7GHz because of the 8MB Chache and the more turbo boos.
And when i buy a machine i would like for it to be top class.
And at the time i bought it money wasn't the question
The SSD on the rMBP can be upgraded and i think its only a question about time before there are more options for upgrading SSD.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
i wasn't really concerned about price because there is a very little gap between these 2

but the thing is, do we really notice a difference in performance ?

and also, what about battery life ?

would i lose 10, 15, 30 minutes in battery life if going from 2.3 to 2.6 ?

and another concern: will it be much warmer ?

these are few details even for $100

but do i really need extra power and lose battery time + warmer mac ?

i'm looking for the best compromise

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Mine usually runs pretty cool.. unless I have 3 VMs open + whatever's running on the OS X side.. Even then it's no more than 85 degrees...

For $100, I would just get the 2.6 and not think too much about it... As for battery life, I have no idea what the 2.3 gets, but I get around 7.5 - 8 hrs on mine when using casually... 5 - 6 when really making it work!

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
ok thanks :)

apple should offer less confusing choices

or is this just a marketint trick to do upselling and encourage people to spend more money on options :rolleyes:

DatWunGai

macrumors newbie
It seems to me - from what I've been reading here - that the most economical way to go would be spend the $100 for 2.6 and call it a day for most users. That is if you're hell-bent on not having a stock machine.

For myself, I use Reason and AudioDesk (music) and I think I'm going to go with the 2.6 because I plan on keeping this machine for 6 years or so. My '07 iMac and '07 MacBook are both still performing well so I use that as my own personal longevity mark. I'm only looking to upgrade and consolidate.

So, any musicians out there with a 2012/13 rMBP? If so, what are your experiences with your relative CPU choices and what would you do differently if you could?

Thanks in advance! :)

broad

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
i had a 2.3 which i went back cause due to IR issues. i briefly had both the 2.3 and the 2.6 i ordered to replace it and ran a few quick tests. a handbrake video conversion of a 44 min long SD video file from avi to mp4 took about 2 min 29 secs on the 2.6 as opposed to iirc 2 min 40 secs on the 2.3Ghz

take from that what you will.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
but did you notice any change in the battery life or heat ?

what i don't like sometimes with apple products is extra power coming with more power consumption and more heat

i saw that on some previous macs and on the ipad

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
It is confusing.

ok thanks :)

apple should offer less confusing choices

or is this just a marketint trick to do upselling and encourage people to spend more money on options :rolleyes:

It is confusing because those are not really any options for the consumer, Apple just leads you on to thinking there are options but the best way to buy apple is to buy the top of the top of the line at all times. With Apple you 'get what you pay for' literally, you have to bypass the fake options and choices made just to sell all their products and go RIGHT to the maxed out components - then you will be gliding and singing for over 8+ years down the road of blissful computing on a single machine (when I finally converted to a 17"MBP in 2006 from a 1998 PC, my life changed forever) only recently did I add to my Apple collection!!

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011

what i don't like sometimes with apple products is extra power coming with more power consumption and more heat

You really won't notice a difference between the two unless you're a power user. I used the $100 to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB and kept the CPU at 2.3.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK

That's not just an Apple thing. The more power you put into circuitry the more heat will be created, and the more energy used. It's a case of thermodynamics, if you buy a Windows laptop and upgrade the CPU then the higher specced unit will get hotter, and have a shorter battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.