Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolnitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I'm planning for buying Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4s but i heard in some post if you use it too much after a period of time when you take it off you will notice scratches and all on the screen and side of the phone.

Really a noob question but still want to know should i BUY it or NOT?

Does it affect the phone?

Btw i'm having white iPhone 4s so if i should buy Suggest me some good color :D

macandmercedes

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
New York
My experience

I've heard mixed stories about the Defender. Personally, I never had an issue with mine and my device never retained a single scratch after having used the case for about a year. I've read other stories on this thread and the internet about how recent Otterbox products have caused device issues due to a lower quality of materials and build. You'll have to make the call on this one. I can only speak about my own unique experience.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
=after a period of time when you take it off you will notice scratches on the phone. :D
This is the Fact for all full body cases - It can not be avoided - think about it.

But why did you mention Screen - one normally has screen saver on a new phone.

Micro sand in your pocket in Pants / Jacket / Car Seat / Cat Toy for a month will work its way into the parts weakest link.

Last time I used full body shell - I lined it inside with tissue before installing - it worked by simple logic..

Besides - w/o Photo's - are you kidding - 5 million cameras on phones and no fkg scratch photos.

Just throw a new DVD on the floor and walk on it all month - you'll get close to the effect.

kailibur

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
I've bought/tried three Otterbox's.. I much prefer the lifeproof case over the Otterbox.

this x1000. i have had my iphone 4s for over a year now, and otterbox has replaced my case 3+ times due to it breaking. the lifeproof case not only is more durable, but smaller, goes in your pocket easier, and is still drop-proof. but the biggest difference is that the lifeproof is also waterproof. its so worth the extra 30-40 bucks.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm planning for buying Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4s but i heard in some post if you use it too much after a period of time when you take it off you will notice scratches and all on the screen and side of the phone.

Your gonna get some reply's that say do not buy it will definitely scratch your phone and others that say your phone will be fine it won't scratch at all. At the end of the day if you think it's worth it to try it out then go ahead, but if you wanna take precautions get a full body skin to protect your phone before you use it.

----------

Micro sand in your pocket in Pants / Jacket / Car Seat / Cat Toy for a month will work its way into the parts weakest link.

Cat toy?

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
But any small particle that was originally caught in between the tissue and phone could also cause scratches. Hence, you just got lucky; the use of tissue was a non-factor.

This is the Fact for all full body cases - It can not be avoided - think about it.

But why did you mention Screen - one normally has screen saver on a new phone.

Last time I used full body shell - I lined it inside with tissue before installing - it worked by simple logic..

Besides - w/o Photo's - are you kidding - 5 million cameras on phones and no fkg scratch photos.

Just throw a new DVD on the floor and walk on it all month - you'll get close to the effect.

----------

This thread is getting very OCD and there isn't a shred of evidence to back up claims of damage.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

Experience varies. You need to buy based on your preferences -- not on the experiences of others.

As stated above, if you get grit harder than your device between the case and the device then you run the risk of scratches. It doesn't matter what the specific device or case is.
Btw i'm having white iPhone 4s so if i should buy Suggest me some good color
Good is highly subjective. You really don't know what color(s) you prefer?

Tissues do not work by logic. Logic has nothing to do with them.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
This thread is getting very OCD and there isn't a shred of evidence to back up claims of damage.

I wouldn't say that... There's a thread on here about removing the plastic screen protector of a Defender and using the case with a glass screen protector. That thread has reports of the damage I've described in this thread, and I'm sure that's not the only reports.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I wouldn't say that... There's a thread on here about removing the plastic screen protector of a Defender and using the case with a glass screen protector. That thread has reports of the damage I've described in this thread, and I'm sure that's not the only reports.

If someone reports that their screen has been damaged, but only after the original otterbox screen protector has been removed, this cannot be due to the otterbox case itself.

I'm just not clear on what your point is.

----------

Your gonna get some reply's that say do not buy it will definitely scratch your phone and others that say your phone will be fine it won't scratch at all. At the end of the day if you think it's worth it to try it out then go ahead, but if you wanna take precautions get a full body skin to protect your phone before you use it.

----------

Cat toy?

But there's always a chance that a dirt particle will get under the skin as well, or that you will miss a small particle during the install, causing damage.

Another poster mentioned that lining the phone with tissue will prevent scratches. Again, if there are dirt particles between the tissue and phone, then the case will press that dirt onto the phone creating damage.

In other words, there is always some minute possibility of damage, regardless of whatever protective measures you take, unless you install whatever form of protection you're using in a completely dust free, particle free vacuum.

oTypically

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
I've heard mixed stories about the Defender. Personally, I never had an issue with mine and my device never retained a single scratch after having used the case for about a year. I've read other stories on this thread and the internet about how recent Otterbox products have caused device issues due to a lower quality of materials and build. You'll have to make the call on this one. I can only speak about my own unique experience.

I vouch this.
I had an otterbox defender for the white ip4s and relieved no problems. I'm not using it anymore though because it got to big for my interest. I'm now using a element vapor pro white.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
In other words -
It simply Depends on the your Environment - What's so hard about it?

No one can simply say - Oh it's never done this - if they have never been to the beach.

Way too much girly drama over a case.

AndyinAtl

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
I am in construction. Often my job will put me in Very dusty environments. Sheetrock dust, concrete dust and just site dirt dust. The enemy of the otter box defender is dust intrusion. My phone has been scratched by the dust and has to be taken apart dailt to clean. That being said i have dropped it 15' to concrete more than once with no ill effects. If you are a desk jockey who is worried about dropping your phone it will be awesome. If you are like me (think pig pen in charlie brown) then another option would be better. I just got the lifeproof after a year of the defender.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I am in construction. Often my job will put me in Very dusty environments. Sheetrock dust, concrete dust and just site dirt dust. The enemy of the otter box defender is dust intrusion. My phone has been scratched by the dust and has to be taken apart dailt to clean. That being said i have dropped it 15' to concrete more than once with no ill effects. If you are a desk jockey who is worried about dropping your phone it will be awesome. If you are like me (think pig pen in charlie brown) then another option would be better. I just got the lifeproof after a year of the defender.

Great post. I don't believe the OBD is advertised as a dirtproof phone. I've already given up on the OBD for other reasons.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
An apple genius advised me against the Defender due to its tendency to retain heat, especially during the summer months.
Somewhat insane comment by Genius - any object sitting on the dash with windows up in direct sun will reach 200F.
Body heat while in pocket - 100F max.
Always something taken too far out of context.

If scratches are evident - using any case - it's the air gap that allows that size abrasive to enter.
Fill the air gap - as I did with one layer of custom cut tissue - kept the phone scratch-less.
Vs dirt floating around causing the grief.

Cases with Silicone inner layer would be a major upgrade vs hard shell to hard shell & dirt between.
Something has to give.
Rocks won't.

Not using a stick on screen saver - well, that's mindless.
Might as well sacrifice second screen saver for the rear - then apply case.

With 3M spray photo mount - anything's possible.

Here's one of there Ad's - http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series-galaxy-s3/armor-series-galaxy-s3,default,pg.html

Last edited:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

The Defender places hard plastic right up against the phone and then wraps that plastic case in rubber. I would get the COMMUTER by Otterbox. It wraps the phone in soft rubber and then a plastic case goes over that rubber. I have it and have been pleased with it.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
What's missing from this OCD thread are all the testimonials and reviews that state that the otterbox defender keeps phones in PRISTINE condition for months or years on end.

Instead, everyone is obsessing about a handful of reports (from amongst several billion internet users) of a few miniscule scratches which may (or may not) have been caused by the case.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

I did a search for this topic and one of the posters who claimed that the case was responsible for scratches on his phone stated that he had modded his case. What likely happened is that the sharp edges of the plastic from his mod is what scratched his phone, not the original design of the case itself.

As I've already stated, this thread is inherently stupid and biased since the posters are completely ignoring the testimonials which report zero damage and perfect protection over months and years of use. And these testimonials are far easier to find than the reports of damage, which seem to be concentrated in OCD fan sites such as this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.