Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
What is up with the crazy weight of the Lumia 920? Plus, it's not exactly thin either. I like the 900-series design aesthetic and all, but I just feel like they could've tried a bit harder to slim it down and lighten it up.

And what's with this big chin under the buttons? The 900 was the opposite and had a big forehead, but I would've appreciated that half an inch less length, it just doesn't look balanced this way.

So close Nokia, the 920 may be a step in the right direction, but I think it'll be another generation (940???) before you win me over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 513

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
The "chin" under the buttons seems smart to me. Easier to press when holding it in one hand or laying in bed with it on your chest etc.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Ive had one since launch. My arm is still intact. Still think its a beautiful phone and have never once even noticed the weight.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Love my phone. I agree it's kind of bulky, but there is no way I would trade that for the mind boggling witchcraft camera it has!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The 8x is kinda big also.

When I was comparing it my Galaxy S3 and Nexus 4 in terms of size and weight it was thicker than both but between the Nexus 4 and S3 in weight but it's definitely a lot thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920! Ok it might not be that much thinner than the 920 but it feels like it's thinner than my Nexus 4 because of the way it's slanted and then there's a plateau. I've never actually held a 920, I'm just going by specs.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
When I was comparing it my Galaxy S3 and Nexus 4 in terms of size and weight it was thicker than both but between the Nexus 4 and S3 in weight but it's definitely a lot thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920! Ok it might not be that much thinner than the 920 but it feels like it's thinner than my Nexus 4 because of the way it's slanted and then there's a plateau. I've never actually held a 920, I'm just going by specs.

yeah its definitely thinner and smaller, I think it's just that material they use that makes is seem bulky to me, although the specs say that isn't so. I almost pulled the trigger on the 8x, but I think I'm going to wait for the Samsung ativ.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
yeah its definitely thinner and smaller, I think it's just that material they use that makes is seem bulky to me, although the specs say that isn't so. I almost pulled the trigger on the 8x, but I think I'm going to wait for the Samsung ativ.

So you're definitely getting a WP8 phone? I've been switching back and forth between my Nexus 4 and 8X every now and then. It's really fun to use WP8 but it's lacking in what it can do compared to Android. There not being a system wide orientation lock kinda sucks. Some apps have it in their settings but not all.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So you're definitely getting a WP8 phone? I've been switching back and forth between my Nexus 4 and 8X every now and then. It's really fun to use WP8 but it's lacking in what it can do compared to Android. There not being a system wide orientation lock kinda sucks. Some apps have it in their settings but not all.

I'm not decided yet, the N4 is also one I may get. I just signed a contract for an ip5 though so I will probably end up with the N4 as a second phone since it is contract free. The Ativ I will get if I have extra money to burn.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm not decided yet, the N4 is also one I may get. I just signed a contract for an ip5 though so I will probably end up with the N4 as a second phone since it is contract free. The Ativ I will get if I have extra money to burn.

That's why I got the 8X, to try out WP8. I sold my S3 and had some extra money so I thought why not. I do love the phone but sometimes I get frustrated with how some things work but that's because of the OS not hardware specific.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
The bulk of the phone really turns me off. I held one not long ago and wow, although my hand wrapped around it very comfortably, it just felt too big. HTC 8X all the way if you want to go WP8

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I got the 8X and the bulk is nothing. I literally lose it in my jeans pockets and cant find it sometimes as I pat my pockets looking for which its in.

Not as thin or light as something like the S3 but its pretty good and looks A LOT nicer. People with iP5's make comments about it looking very thin and nice even though a lot is deception. "Saw your phone and thought it was the thinnest phone ever until you put it on the table".

In the end its thinner than I require so thats all that matter.

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Its big for a phone I guess but its not actually 'big'

People are getting too funny shaving off 10g here and there or a few mm here ( more than likely apple marketing to thank).

Its a high end phone that is bigger than other high end phones but is ultimately still a small device.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
As someone who has handled both, I have no idea why anyone would opt for the 920 over the 8X. The 8X feels great in your hand. Similar to my iPhone 5. The 920 is big and heavy. Unless you insist on superior low light photo performance I would strongly suggest the 8X over the 920.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I got the 8X and the bulk is nothing. I literally lose it in my jeans pockets and cant find it sometimes as I pat my pockets looking for which its in.

Not as thin or light as something like the S3 but its pretty good and looks A LOT nicer. People with iP5's make comments about it looking very thin and nice even though a lot is deception. "Saw your phone and thought it was the thinnest phone ever until you put it on the table".

In the end its thinner than I require so thats all that matter.

I love the form factor of the 8X, I'm hoping HTC comes out with an android version, I've already tried windows phone and I didn't like it

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
As someone who has handled both, I have no idea why anyone would opt for the 920 over the 8X. The 8X feels great in your hand. Similar to my iPhone 5. The 920 is big and heavy. Unless you insist on superior low light photo performance I would strongly suggest the 8X over the 920.

Better screen and more apps?? ����

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Yep. I didn't even know they had Nokia-specific apps but it wouldn't have mattered, I would have still gone with the 8X.

I wouldve gone 920 if I could specifically for the Nokia apps like Drive. If the 8X had those apps than the 8X over the 920 for sure.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I wouldve gone 920 if I could specifically for the Nokia apps like Drive. If the 8X had those apps than the 8X over the 920 for sure.

What other apps do they have? I don't really use navigation much on any of my phones so it doesn't matter that much to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.