Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driverx2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie, not sure this is the right place to post this but here's my question. Does anyone know how to configure the Verizon IPCC file (ver 13.3) for iphone 5 to allow the hotspot feature to work? I'm on an unlimited data plan currently and they are blocking the feature. I'm not sure what line or apn i need to mess with within the file....or if modifying the file will even work since I understand it has to be a signed ipcc file.

I see a few lines in the carrier.plist file that may do something but I'm not sure what to change. See below...

ipcc.jpg

I changed the line for "TetheringPhoneNumber" to from 611 to 612 just to see if this would change on the iphone, but after uploading the file .ipcc file to the iphone 5 and rebooting, nothing changed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There was also a previous post about this....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1451656/

driverx2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Ill take the risk. I thought I read somewhere that the apn you set would keep them from tracking you as quickly

duck33

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie, not sure this is the right place to post this but here's my question. Does anyone know how to configure the Verizon IPCC file (ver 13.3) for iphone 5 to allow the hotspot feature to work? I'm on an unlimited data plan currently and they are blocking the feature. I'm not sure what line or apn i need to mess with within the file....or if modifying the file will even work since I understand it has to be a signed ipcc file.

I see a few lines in the carrier.plist file that may do something but I'm not sure what to change. See below...

View attachment 390478

I changed the line for "TetheringPhoneNumber" to from 611 to 612 just to see if this would change on the iphone, but after uploading the file .ipcc file to the iphone 5 and rebooting, nothing changed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There was also a previous post about this....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1451656/

I have hotspot enabled on my 5 and am on the unlimited plan.

driverx2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I have hotspot enabled on my 5 and am on the unlimited plan.

Did you do anything special to get it...or did Verizon just simply overlook that you had unlimited and left the hotspot feature on? My main goal is to see if I can use the ipcc file to unlock the feature without jailbreaking my phone (once an iphone 5 jb is actually available). I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about this....since hotspot is an awesome feature for ppl that are still on unlimited.

I have the feature on my iphone 5, but when I try to use it...a message pops up telling me to call Verizon to setup the feature (aka pay an extra $30/month for a feature native to the iphone), something I won't do.

duck33

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Did you do anything special to get it...or did Verizon just simply overlook that you had unlimited and left the hotspot feature on? My main goal is to see if I can use the ipcc file to unlock the feature without jailbreaking my phone (once an iphone 5 jb is actually available). I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about this....since hotspot is an awesome feature for ppl that are still on unlimited.

I have the feature on my iphone 5, but when I try to use it...a message pops up telling me to call Verizon to setup the feature (aka pay an extra $30/month for a feature native to the iphone), something I won't do.

No, it's not something that was over looked. Unless something has changed, you can add hotspot and keep your unlimited data. You will have to pay $30.00/month for the feature tho. I get a gov't discount and end up paying about $20.00/month for it.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    110.6 KB · Views: 105

driverx2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I'm aware of the pricing for hotspot for Verizon unlimited customers. My main question is .... Is there any way to get around it using the . Ipcc file . If not ill just wait for the iPhone 5 jb and get around it that way. I just wanted to to see if there was anything more useful u could do with the .ipcc.... Than changing your carrier logo

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
No if you're using an iPhone 5 on Verizon it shouldn't be blocked its included due to open internet rules the same reason why its a completely unlocked phone.

driverx2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Unfortunately it is blocked since I'm an unlimited data plan user. It's unblocked for users with limited data plan contracts 2gb or 5 gb. Otherwise they force you to pay $30/month to unblock the feature. I'm trying to get around this.

This is the message that comes up when you try to use it, for those unfamiliar...

verizonblock.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.