Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
He has an axe to grind and by golly he's gonna grind it.

Using 10.8.2 and 10.6.8 here (laptop is limited to SL). Every time I go back to the laptop I find myself wishing it was Mountain Lion. I enjoy the Twitter integration, Notification Center, newer version of Safari, better full-screen support… oh, and it's faster.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I was happy with Tiger on my original 2005 Mini...... It did what I wanted and being my first computer I didn't know any better.

When the HDD and the power supply failed early in 2009 I decided on a new Mini rather than a repair. For the short time I had Leopard I was a bit annoyed with some of its shortcomings. All was sweet when Snow Leopard came and I installed it.

I didn't bother with Lion. I coveted the Dictionary app upgrade, which i saw on a friend's machine. Otherwise I was none the wiser, having used only a cricket scoring program running under the Windows environment, using Parallels.

By mid 2012 the Mini was getting slow. I guessed it was short of RAM for updated apps, so I increased the RAM to 5 GB (from 1 GB), and upgraded directly to Mountain Lion. In general I am happy with the upgrades.

I did get the 10.8.2 update, that was later pulled.

One thing that does not seem to be right, however, is Time Machine. Since Mountain Lion was installed seems to given to doing massive, multiple GB, back-ups, which take ages to do. It keeps the CPU very busy, and raises temperature and fan speeds quite a bit.

Previously Time Machine back-ups were usually only a few kilobytes or MB. After nearly three years I had over 270 GB of a 320 GB back-up disc free. Now, after about 3 months I am down to 17 GB free.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Since Mountain Lion was installed seems to given to doing massive, multiple GB, back-ups, which take ages to do. It keeps the CPU very busy, and raises temperature and fan speeds quite a bit.

Previously Time Machine back-ups were usually only a few kilobytes or MB. After nearly three years I had over 270 GB of a 320 GB back-up disc free. Now, after about 3 months I am down to 17 GB free.

That doesn't sound normal. :(

What are you backing up to?

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
That doesn't sound normal. :(

What are you backing up to?

Backing up to a 320 GB Buffalo portable HDD, purchased October 2009.

I did start a thread looking for advice in the Mac Basics and Help forum, but got no replies...... so bumped it to see if someone who may not have noticed it might have some advice, but got that post deleted and a warning that bumping was regarded as unacceptable. Unhelpful, I thought, but there you go.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1522228/

Any comments, insight or advice would be appreciated.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Adore ML. Gave my aging Core2Duo MBP a new lease on life. On my new rMBP it simply wails. Very stable, lots of coherent and thoughtful UI features. Great OS. Don't let the haters divert you.

+1

My 2009 MBP core2duo is speedy as ever, its actually more rock solid than Lion was.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I upgraded upon release day and regretted it. I kept trying to use it every month or so and had the problem where the menu bar would freeze and then my MB would just get slower and slower until I had to reboot.

Over the last two months, those problems went away completely.

Though I only use my computer for internet and iTunes, I think ML is just as stable as Lion was. I have Lion on my 2008 MB.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I upgraded from SL to ML on Monday and so far, I have absolutely no complaints. I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

I haven't had the chance to check out all of the new features, but so far so good.

I just did the same, very happy so far

OpenGL support is better
Touch support is better if you have a trackpad
If you have enough RAM it is fine

I have had zero problems to speak of with ML.

I've been a mac user since Leopard.
I maxed out my Mac Mini since I was upgrading to ML. I got 8GB for $45, I didn't think it was a bad deal.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Started with Leopard...never had a problem.
Upgraded to SL...never had a problem.
Upgraded to Lion...never had a problem.
Upgraded to ML...haven't had a problem.

For my uses, they are all pretty much the same, although I think I like ML the best so far (mainly for Notification Center).

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I had a 2009 uMB with SL and it was and is a great machine, never cared for Lion until I bought a 2011 Mini with ML. I did not like all the changes between SL and Lion at first especially all the color bars were taken away, but after using it it was not bad. I decided to sell the Mini and go back to a MacBook Pro, gave wife the uMB she loves it coming from an old Windows laptop.
Got the 2012 MBP 13" Base with 4GB/500GB and ML

I am going to upgrade it to 16GB and I installed a 240GB SSD what a difference.

After running ML for a while 1-2 months, I actually like it very much, it is quick and smooth, in fact today I worked on the uMB and found SL to be slow and annoying at times, however they are both cool Macs and each with their own purpose.

I do everything from running Boot Camp with Windows 7 and some light gaming, also ripping movies and some encoding, it all works fine and it runs very quick

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I am hearing people regretting upgrading to Mountain Lion and wonder if those bugs have been fixed.

Are there still problems that are common?

It is the worst OS Apple has released since I've been using Macs, back to System 7 on a Centris 610 back in the early 1990s.

Plus for those who hate 10.8.x are trolls and reactionaries.

I'm neither. ML has been the most problematic OS that I've dealt with since I started using Macs. Even the total lock-ups that sometimes came with System 9 were less common than the persistent issues with ML. In fact, I reinstalled Snow Leopard onto two iMacs and one Mini in my lab. I'd do the same for my Mac Book Pro, but it needs Lion at the least, which isn't much better than ML in my experience. Will Apple sort it out? I sure hope so but, frankly, I think they're more concerned with iOS and OS X is becoming the ugly step sister.

----------

If i must use Mac OS X PowerPC apps, i use SL inside a VM. No problem if you have enough RAM and give the VM only one CPU core.

How do you get SL on a VM? I have VMWare but it won't let me install SL as an OS.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run both the permission repairs and the disk repairs on the time Machine Drive. See if that helps it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran Disk Utility, and it reported that all is sweet.... so the mystery remains!

I have had Time Machine mostly switched off of late, just turning it on once a week or so to back-up. There was less than 17 GB available space on the hard drive according to Time Machine earlier today. It backed-up and lo.... it finished up with 47.8 GB available!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 7.58.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 7.58.34 PM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 8.18.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 8.18.48 PM.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Here's my beef with ML.

I own a Mac Pro 4,1 and have been using Macs since the black and white 68k days. I've always adored the Aqua interface and feel it was at it's best in 10.4 but has since then gone downhill a bit. I'm quite fine with 10.6's UI and it's just too much work to return it on ML.
There are plenty of applications out there that can make everything act and behave like SL but how do I know that with the next update they'll still work?

The only real upside I see to ML is the updated graphics drivers, but since my 5870 suits my Mac needs perfectly I see no need to upgrade.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It is the worst OS Apple has released since I've been using Macs, back to System 7 on a Centris 610 back in the early 1990s.

I'm neither. ML has been the most problematic OS that I've dealt with since I started using Macs. Even the total lock-ups that sometimes came with System 9 were less common than the persistent issues with ML. In fact, I reinstalled Snow Leopard onto two iMacs and one Mini in my lab. I'd do the same for my Mac Book Pro, but it needs Lion at the least, which isn't much better than ML in my experience. Will Apple sort it out? I sure hope so but, frankly, I think they're more concerned with iOS and OS X is becoming the ugly step sister.

You must own a lemon of a computer or something. I haven't had a single crash on my new Mac Mini since I bought it in November (came with 8.1 and updated to 8.2 the first day without issue) and it's been running 24/7 for the most part. The HDMI blanking screen thing was the only issue I had other than having to install Samba3 with SMBUp (which solved my networking issues, leaving me with zero issues other than the usual complaints of dual-monitor usage that have existed as long as OSX has). I HAVE had Snow Leopard crash many a time on me on my Macbook Pro. Frankly, my PPC machine running Leopard was more stable (prior server). So far, I'm pretty pleased with the Mini as its replacement.

I've run VMWare with Win98, XP and OpenSuse 12.2 for hours and hours and my server for the whole house system is up 24/7 and OSX itself has never needed a reboot yet except for a couple of software updates like that firmware one and 8.2. So this idea that Mountain Lion is the problem is falling on deaf ears. You either have a faulty hardware driver, something left over from the upgrade (needs a clean install?) or something else is crapping out somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.