Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
I want to do a complete clean restore on a 3GS which is version 4.2.1 and want to update to at least iOS5.
What is the best software to do that?
I heard RedSn0w? But last time I remember correctly, if I used RedSn0w and if I shut off my iPhone, I won't be able to boot it up again until I use a computer. I want to be able to restart my iPhone without going back to my computer.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Redsn0w. iOS 5.X is an untethered jailbreak and depending on which version of the 3Gs you have, iOS 6+ will also be an untethered jailbreak.

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Are there tutorials of where to update to 6.0.1.?
I looked at Google but many articles redirect back to websites where they say I have to buy the software?

iBoss101

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
I want to do a complete clean restore on a 3GS which is version 4.2.1 and want to update to at least iOS5.
What is the best software to do that?
I heard RedSn0w? But last time I remember correctly, if I used RedSn0w and if I shut off my iPhone, I won't be able to boot it up again until I use a computer. I want to be able to restart my iPhone without going back to my computer.
redn0w is tethered, but while tethered you can download p0sixspwn in Cydia then it will be untethered.
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.