Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexaedro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
(hmm.. I've joined here before a few minute
Yeah, my English is ****... Because i'm Korean :)
please understand my vocabulary)

I know.. 2012 MacBook Air has "intel Graphics HD 4000"
well i'm using Macbook Air 2010 Late so i have many Jealousy
so, how many affection of 2012 Macbook air's graphic compared with
2010 macbook air?

Sorry for my vocabulary. :(

marecej

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Hi,

I owned the 2010 air (13" base model with 4gb of ram) until I broke its screen
last week I bought the new 2012 air (13" base model)

I only tried to play nhl 2009 in windows xp under parallels desktop and it ran smoother on the new one

I have diablo 3 and CS:GO installed, so I can try that too if you'd like

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
The one thing the 2010 Air doesn't have - backlit keys.

Stupid Apple decision.

Not a stupid decision. Battery life > Backlit keys. The nvidia GPU made it so they took out the backlit keys. The new iteration has no dedicated GPU hence less power draw, hence backlit keys.

Concorde105

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Not a stupid decision. Battery life > Backlit keys. The nvidia GPU made it so they took out the backlit keys. The new iteration has no dedicated GPU hence less power draw, hence backlit keys.

The 320M is not dedicated. The 330M is, but no MBA has ever had that. The 320M is integrated into the 2010 MBA's northbridge, it's not a separate chip. The only thing special about the HD 4000 is that it's integrated into the CPU instead.

Also, backlit keyboards don't significantly affect battery life. Apple just chose not to include it, likely because of cost. For example, the base 2008 unibody Macbook didn't have a backlit keyboard but the higher end model did, but there wasn't a significant change in battery life.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
The 320M is not dedicated. The 330M is, but no MBA has ever had that. The 320M is integrated into the 2010 MBA's northbridge, it's not a separate chip. The only thing special about the HD 4000 is that it's integrated into the CPU instead.

Also, backlit keyboards don't significantly affect battery life. Apple just chose not to include it, likely because of cost. For example, the base 2008 unibody Macbook didn't have a backlit keyboard but the higher end model did, but there wasn't a significant change in battery life.

Sorry I shouldn't have used the word dedicated. Point Is the nvidia drew something like 10w of power whereas the intel one doesn't draw that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.