Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tezarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Hi all,

I have had my iPad 1 for almost three years now and a couple days ago I bought myself an iPad 4. The wifi connection definitely has some major issues and I understand it's because of the ios 6.0.1. So do you guys think I should keep it and wait for a better update or just return the beast?

If you say I should keep it, can you recommend a good rubber kind hard shell back cover for it? I do not need a smart cover so the back cover doesn't need to be smart cover compatible.

If you say I should return it, will BestBuy refund me the whole amount or will they charge me a re-stocking fee?

Thanks

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Hi all,

I have had my iPad 1 for almost three years now and a couple days ago I bought myself an iPad 4. The wifi connection definitely has some major issues and I understand it's because of the ios 6.0.1. So do you guys think I should keep it and wait for a better update or just return the beast?

If you say I should keep it, can you recommend a good rubber kind hard shell back cover for it? I do not need a smart cover so the back cover doesn't need to be smart cover compatible.

If you say I should return it, will BestBuy refund me the whole amount or will they charge me a re-stocking fee?

Thanks

I use the Belkin Snap Sheild. The early models had some cracking issues. Belkin switched mine out for free and I haven't had any problems.

I am 99% sure BB does not charge a restocking fee.

What wifi issue are you having?

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I known of one wifi issue, and that is when it doesn't automatically connect back to the wifi network and you have to go into the settings and set 'rejoin network' toggle switch, but that doesnt happen as much now.

tezarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Two2seven, darngooddesign, thanks for the recommendation but that Belkin shield has an opening on the side for the smart cover. I'm not planning on using a smart cover...

Wifi has some issues: I take the ipad somewhere and it gets connected to that new network, then I bring it home and it asks for the password again.

Another problem is sometimes it just doesn't get connected to the same wifi for minutes then it gets fixed. Also when I want to check my eails, most of the time it asks for the password! Never had these problems with my iPad 1.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Make sure that in Settings > Wifi, you have the Ask to Join Networks button turned OFF. Then you'll automatically connect to networks that you've used previously & your home network won't ask you for a password.

I gave my 1st Gen iPad to my son at Thanksgiving because I'd also bought an iPad 4. So far everything works the same way as always. I restored the new iPad from the backup of the iPad 1.

Last edited:

tezarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Make sure that in Settings > Wifi, you have the Ask to Join Networks button turned OFF. Then you'll automatically connect to networks that you've used previously & your home network won't ask you for a password.

I gave my 1st Gen iPad to my son at Thanksgiving because I'd also bought an iPad 4. So far everything works the same way as always. I restored the new iPad from the backup of the iPad 1.

Thanks Lelisa13p, that's the problem. That option was off when the iPad was having that issue. Turned the option ON and so far so good! Can't understand why.

Another thing is sometimes when I want to check my emails it asks me for the password again, the bugs with this ios 6 is very obvious. Having problem finding a hard case for it too. Everything I see is designed to work WITH a smart cover....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks much, but this one is a soft case

I think its the same as the Belikin case; which is hard plastic that feels a little soft to the touch.

Softcases in my mind feel like the are fabric in material and while they might protect against scratches, do not protect against drops. This one says that it does.

You can verify a couuple of ways, send Incipio an email; see if anyone hs mentioned it in the accessories subforum; or check to see if there is a review on youtube and/or ilounge.com.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks Lelisa13p, that's the problem. That option was off when the iPad was having that issue. Turned the option ON and so far so good! Can't understand why.

Another thing is sometimes when I want to check my emails it asks me for the password again, the bugs with this ios 6 is very obvious. Having problem finding a hard case for it too. Everything I see is designed to work WITH a smart cover....

I found that when the button was turned ON, I was asked for the PW for my home network & it was beyond annoying. :mad: Turning the button OFF eliminated that behavior for me. :)

Being curious, what is your objection to smart covers? I want the screen covered for protection when not in use. I bought the Apple case (as I did for my iPad 1). The iPad 4 snaps down into the case and the cover is smart. Buttons are built-in & speaker is protected. I like it a lot. I miss always seeing my lock screen but the convenience of instant ON and OFF (by closing the cover) makes up for it.

My emails are set up thru several Gmail accounts using the native Mail app. I've found that as long as I'm regularly checking email via my laptop, too, my PW holds. Gmail has a habit of asking for PWs every two weeks or so for security purposes but I usually get that on my laptop because of frequency of use (i.e. all day long.) What do you use for email?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.