Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Im finding more and more dust is entering through the noise canceling mike next to the camera and getting on the lens. When I first got the phone it was not there. To bad you cannot easily remove the back cover and blow it out like with the 4/4S. I am starting to see faint spots on my pics now. :mad:

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Can anyone confirm if dust is indeed getting through the noise cancelling mike? I am not doubting you it's just that maybe the dust got there through another way.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Well its coming from there or the power button. Im sure I could cover it up but that would defeat the purpose of the noise canceling microphone.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Once dropped the iphone 5 for like 10cm...on soft floor. Was not much of a impact but there were purple dots and little lines on or behind the lens..
So yeah the camera is not well protected against dust.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
You must be using your phone in an extremely dusty environment. Why not use a case that protects it against such ingress.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Wrong. I am using a case but no case covers up the microphone hole near the lens. I had 3 coworkers check their lens and same problem. I did more research online and there are many complaints on this. Btw in case some of you don't know it mike is short for microphone lol.

You must be using your phone in an extremely dusty environment. Why not use a case that protects it against such ingress.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Wrong. I am using a case but no case covers up the microphone hole near the lens. I had 3 coworkers check their lens and same problem. I did more research online and there are many complaints on this. Btw in case some of you don't know it mike is short for microphone lol.

Mic is short for Microphone, Mike is someones name haha

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I love macrumors. Every thread is the same:

"Something something something about iphones"

-- one good response
-- junk response
-- derailment
-- arugment about semantics
-- Pull out teeny tiny scissors in order to split hairs
-- Someone is super dumb
-- Someone is super smart
-- links provided
-- sources referenced
-- What were we talking about again?
-- And done.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I love macrumors. Every thread is the same:

"Something something something about iphones"

-- one good response
-- junk response
-- derailment
-- arugment about semantics
-- Pull out teeny tiny scissors in order to split hairs
-- Someone is super dumb
-- Someone is super smart
-- links provided
-- sources referenced
-- What were we talking about again?
-- And done.

I realize I am always the "Super Smart" one, but I wish you would stop pointing it out over and over....

And why doesn't everyone with this issue simply return the phone to Apple? Seems like a faulty camera seal would be a warranty issue.

Unless there was "other" damage to the phone they may point to as a culprit.

Either way, if it's impacting pictures taking it in would be far more effective than complaining about it on the internet (which seems to be the "go to" solution).

"Mike" is somewhere spinning in his grave. Getting all this blame for camera dust...

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Well, in an effort to try to add to the actual topic at hand:

It's worth me noting that I've been carrying my iPhone 5 for a while now without a case. I do have a slowly peeling skin on it but that's it. I keep it in my right pocket and I always wear jeans. I have pretty good vision and I've checked my lens every time one of these threads pops up and I have yet to see any dust or anything in there.

if/when I do, it's back to Apple (well, I probably will call and have them send me a phone and send mine back but whatever)... I'm not going to waste time trying to "fix it" or telling the internet about it (unless pertinent to a thread posting asking people to share their experiences).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can dust (or anything) even enter the lens from the microphone and/or power button openings? I'm not exactly sure (especially since it seems that the lens enclosure goes all the way from the opening back to the actual shutter/sensor), thus the question.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I had an iPhone 5 with a very dusty camera lens and I also noticed some build up near the mic so I also made the correlation. It can't be fixed. If you have some dust that wasn't there before, it's just going to get worse. Bring it to the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.