Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I'm upgrading my 27" 2010 to my new 27" 2012 with Fusion. I want to get a Thunderbolt external hard drive enclosure to remove the 512gb SSD from my OLD computer to attach to my new computer.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a thunderbolt enclosure, let alone one that's reasonable cost. I am looking on Amazon and only see one by JBird, and it's $300 just for an enclosure (vs $30 for USB 3)

My understanding is if booting off the drive, Thunderbolt is the way to go. Is this accurate? Suggestions as to an enclosure?

Thanks!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
So I'm upgrading my 27" 2010 to my new 27" 2012 with Fusion. I want to get a Thunderbolt external hard drive enclosure to remove the 512gb SSD from my OLD computer to attach to my new computer.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a thunderbolt enclosure, let alone one that's reasonable cost. I am looking on Amazon and only see one by JBird, and it's $300 just for an enclosure (vs $30 for USB 3)

My understanding is if booting off the drive, Thunderbolt is the way to go. Is this accurate? Suggestions as to an enclosure?

Thanks!

You may also want to check with OWC (http://www.macsales.com) to see what they have available.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
There's a Seagate adapter that's around $100, but it leaves the drive entirely exposed (though I'm not sure if that's an issue, honestly). TB peripherals are still extremely expensive unfortunately.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
There's a Seagate adapter that's around $100, but it leaves the drive entirely exposed (though I'm not sure if that's an issue, honestly). TB peripherals are still extremely expensive unfortunately.

I can't believe they don't make a basic enclosure. It it the demand is low vs USB 3? Do you know if there is any advantage to TB vs USB3?

If anyone knows of a small enclosure please let me know.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
You don't need TB. Get a USB3 enclosure, it will be more than enough for a single SSD.

OK, will use one of my USB 3 enclosures for now. Does USB3 run fast enough to support the speeds of SSD?

richphoto

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Yes , plus depends if you have sata3 or a slower model ssd, if its older probably slower and usb 3 is plenty fast for it

OK, will use one of my USB 3 enclosures for now. Does USB3 run fast enough to support the speeds of SSD?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Yes , plus depends if you have sata3 or a slower model ssd, if its older probably slower and usb 3 is plenty fast for it

It's only 3 months old, either way, good to know USB 3 will suffice. Thanks!

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt/USB enclosure, $199

Comes complete with Thunderbolt cable, USB 3.0 cable, and a free 120GB Micron SSD.

:)

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Read up on the LaCie drive. You can take it apart and switch ur 512 in for the stock SSD but look for the thunderbolt version

bonedaddio

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
PA, USA

Thanks!
There's a ton of information in this thread, Black Magic Disk Test Thunderbolt Adapter comparisons... including some real-world testing and informed opinion, if that's what you're after.
Good Luck,
Les

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's only 3 months old, either way, good to know USB 3 will suffice. Thanks!

It doesn't matter. 3Gb/s SATA ssds are still sold today. They were sold 3 months ago as well. They currently coexist with the 6G variants.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Read up on the LaCie drive. You can take it apart and switch ur 512 in for the stock SSD but look for the thunderbolt version

Do you know how difficult it is to take apart? I have ordered a Buffalo Mini Thunderbolt Drive I was planning on prying open. Do you know if the Lacie rugged is any easier to get into to replace the drive? If it is, I can cancel my Buffalo order and go Lacie....

MotherFinMike

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
San Diego California

He needs one with a external power supply if he's gonna use a 512gb since the drives power requirements won't support lacie or buffalo with drives bigger than 256gb, his best bet is the go flex desktop version

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
He needs one with a external power supply if he's gonna use a 512gb since the drives power requirements won't support lacie or buffalo with drives bigger than 256gb, his best bet is the go flex desktop version

That flex desktop version is huge.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The LaCie is easy to take apart; the Buffalo is difficult due to a glued case design.

In either case, you'll be limited to max size of 256GB, unless you find a low power larger SSD. Pay close attention to the max power consumed for the mechanism.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
The LaCie is easy to take apart; the Buffalo is difficult due to a glued case design.

In either case, you'll be limited to max size of 256GB, unless you find a low power larger SSD. Pay close attention to the max power consumed for the mechanism.

Well with this knowledge now I have to return the Buffalo, and the Lacie won't work. I guess I'm stuck with a USB 3.0 drive... :-( Really wanted to be able to thunderbolt my 512GB ssd, but it seems the only way to do so at this point is a big ol desktop drive.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Well with this knowledge now I have to return the Buffalo, and the Lacie won't work. I guess I'm stuck with a USB 3.0 drive... :-( Really wanted to be able to thunderbolt my 512GB ssd, but it seems the only way to do so at this point is a big ol desktop drive.

USB3 should only be illadvised for those who are really pushing their CPU. USB3 has a slightly higher CPU requirement so if you're stressing your CPU, USB3 will disconnect and your computer will shut down(due to no boot-drive connected).

For me though who are not using CPU-intensive applications, it should be perfectly safe to boot from USB3.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"My understanding is if booting off the drive, Thunderbolt is the way to go. Is this accurate? Suggestions as to an enclosure?"

I think you ought to include the latest, fastest USB3 enclosures in your considerations.

They may not offer the "pressing the edge of the envelope" speed that Thunderbolt provides, but the right ones are still VERY fast. In all likelihood, you probably won't notice the difference in day-to-day usage.

Even recent USB3/SATA docking stations are right up there in speed.

Check these:
http://www.barefeats.com/hard161.html

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspot.com/2012/10/blacx-5g-usb-30-update-fastest-usb-30.html

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have a Crucial M4 512GB on a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter. On eBay I found some new GoFLex "disk enclosures" (the plug-on shell) which hold any 2.5" SATA drive and make for a cleaner appearance with my SSD inside.

You could also buy a hard disk GoFlex Thunderbolt, open the shell and replace the hard disk with your SSD, then sell the HD, use it in another laptop, or put it in a cheap USB-3 case and use it for backup (a single hard disk on Thunderbolt is sort of a waste anyway).

My 512GB SSD on the GoFlex seems to be working fine!

NOTE: This arrangement works great for installing/booting Windows externally as well.

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.