Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAophile

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Oakland, CA
I still have the 4S and am patiently waiting the 5S (or whatever they call the next iPhone). The 4S is an excellent phone, even though I would prefer to have the extra real estate and performance of the 5. But at this point, I think I can wait it out - especially since I would have to go with a 2 year contract. Love the Apple ecosystem - the 4S plays so nice with my iPad and Macbook Air, not to mention airplay with my Apple TV and Airport Express. I am not even considering for 1 second an Android based phone - it would be an island in and of itself.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Love my IPhones and most of all love Apple soft and hard customer service. Hate Windows- like manufacturer customization of Android, lack of updates, and having to plead with carriers when hardware from Korea has a problem.

Apple everything from now on!

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I'll still have my 5th gen iPod Touch and my Mini for iOS though
I have one as well - never touch it - never in view - it runs the tunes in the Yamaha Dock.

What I find odd - no one with an Iphone5 has described any options to Bluetooth - as file share - to even ones own machine.
Don't tell me this is still not possible.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I'll be staying with the iPhone. I've tinkered with and tried several high end Android handsets and they do have a few feature advantages over the iPhone but I always came back for several reasons and won't make the mistake of going to Android again.

1 - Battery life. Every Android I've used had inferior battery life to the iPhone (especially the iPhone 5). I don't want to have to put my phone in airplane mode or remember to turn off a bunch of settings in fear of the battery dying too quickly, nor do I enjoy carrying around an extra battery.
2 - Apps. Android is catching up in the sheer number of apps but I find that many of the apps are either of lower quality or missing features that are found in their iOS counterparts.
3 - Reliability - Even the Android's that I've used that run ICS or Jellybean still aren't quite as smooth as iOS. Though they have come a long way since the mess that was Gingerbread. Everything seems more stable on the iPhone.
4 - Support - With Apple I can walk into a store and get a warranty exchange for my iPhone right on the spot. No going through carriers and waiting for a box in the mail like with other OEMs.
5 - Backup/Restore of data - I like how with iPhones I have always been able to totally back up everything on my iPhone and then when it is restored all my content, messages, settings, media, everything is exactly as it was on the old iPhone.
6 - Media Player - Every media player I tried on my Android phones was inferior to the default one on the iPhone. Google Play Music stuttered or lagged between songs quite a bit more than the iPhone does when playing music.

I personally don't care much for tinkering with my phone and finding third party apps to perform tasks that work out of the box on my iPhone. Buy the new iPhone, restore from backup, and start using. I see how some people like Android more though. It's not for me. I have a computer for when I want to customize things.

I have the 5 and won't get the 5S though. I'm satisfied for now. LTE and battery life were the most important upgrades that made me get a 5.

Exact same as me. This is why I am staying. Just one more point I would add:
7) Superior build quality.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Yes, I will be sticking with an iPhone. I've had an iPhone in my pocket since 2007, and I don't plan on stopping now. The iOS platform, and the iPhone in particular offer many advantages to me at this point:

1. Familiarity. Whereas some people say that the UI is stale, I say that it is stable. Many of the operations that I do on my phone are done without even looking at it; the actions are muscle memory at this point, having used iPhones for so long.

2. Applications. The iPhone still has the strongest application library in the market, and I have a fair investment in iPhone applications that I would rather not abandon.

3. Upgradability. I have owned three iPhones; the original, a 3GS, and a 4S. My original saw three major versions of iOS, my 3GS is on its fourth major version, and I can easily see my 4S being supported by software updates for another two years or so. Some user-centered features may be left out on older hardware, but all of the new developer features and APIs always come to the older devices, ensuring application compatibility. No other platform delivers updates as reliably as the iPhone. Every supported device gets the update on the same day.

4. Media. I listen to music on my phone quite a bit - the ability to just stick it in its dock and sync all of my media in iTunes in one go without doing anything is wonderful.

I used to jailbreak my iPhones regularly to get the features that I wanted, especially in the 1.x and 2.x days with my original iPhone. However, I haven't felt the need to do so with the more feature-complete iOS versions that have come about recently. I love the platform; I would love some new features (Apple, Weather has been telling me that it's 73F and Sunny for nearly six years now), but overall I still enjoy my time with the platform.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
One big reason i'll stick with the iPhone is that in the past 3 years (owning a 4 and 5) i can recall a single reboot or freeze. The stability of iOS is remarkable IMHO.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, I will be sticking with an iPhone. I've invested a lot of money in the Apple ecosystem and leaving would be hard. With that said, I really like my iPhone 5. It works very well for what I need it to do.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
This is my first smart phone and I really enjoy it. My bro has the note and he loves that thing. Nothing wrong with android. It's nice but I like the size and feel of this phone so unless it gets bigger I will be staying put. I'm still amazed at what phones can do nowadays

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I'll be sticking with my iPhone 5 for the next 18-24 months until I can upgrade to the (presumably) iPhone 6. I just went from the IP4 to the IP5 and it has been a GREAT upgrade. I have used plenty of Android devices and there are some great ones out there, but the iPhone and iOS just work best for me.

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
Probably!!!

I've had the iphone since it came out. So I'l probably stick with is since i've invested a lot in itunes, movies and etc.
I pretty much just need it as a phone and a few simple apps. nothing major. I like the ease of use iOS offers. I'm simple....

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Nope, to bad so sad.

I may even ditch the ipad on this next go round, its looking like apple is falling behind in tablets also.

jalamb86

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I'll decide when I'm due for an upgrade in November. I love my Nexus 7, so I might have to take a hard look at a Nexus 4.

I'm anxious to see the overall direction Apple takes post-Jobs. I know it's already been a while, but many if not all of the newer Apple products were heavily Jobs influenced. I want to see what Tim Cook has come up with.

iOS 7 and iphone 6 are going to have to give me a reason to stay.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
"Demand For Samsung Smartphones Jumps To 23% For Early 2013, iPhone Interest Down 21 Points From Last Quarter"

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/15/de...ne-interest-down-21-points-from-last-quarter/

Interesting thing about this article is that it actually admits that the stats were misleading and that iOS users were actually over 20% more satisfied than Android users based on user surveys.

----------

I'll decide when I'm due for an upgrade in November. I love my Nexus 7, so I might have to take a hard look at a Nexus 4.

I'm anxious to see the overall direction Apple takes post-Jobs. I know it's already been a while, but many if not all of the newer Apple products were heavily Jobs influenced. I want to see what Tim Cook has come up with.

iOS 7 and iphone 6 are going to have to give me a reason to stay.

If you're going over to Android I would suggest a Motorola device or Samsung device over the Nexus 4. It appears to have some severe issues based on the forums I've read (random re-boots and poor battery chief among them).

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There is almost no circumstance that i can imagine leaving the Apple world. I also carry an Android phone as #2 daily and while it is nice, the grass is not greener.

The iOS UI is outdated? Mac OS X has the had the same basic UI for how long now?

jalamb86

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
If you're going over to Android I would suggest a Motorola device or Samsung device over the Nexus 4. It appears to have some severe issues based on the forums I've read (random re-boots and poor battery chief among them).

I had a Droid X for quite a while. I'm anxious to see the Galaxy S4.

I'm on the fence regarding whether or not to buy a Macbook. If I do, I'll probably stick with the iPhone and just fall headfirst into the apple ecosystem. However I have several months to sit back and watch and see what the two have to offer in 2013.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I was saying I would buy a different phone, but that was before I had a MBA. Ever since I got that, and also owning an iPad and the iPhone, they work so well together, I would hate to lose that. With that said, I do not have an upgrade until November 2013 (should be June as I bought the 4S on launch day, but Verizon says I cannot upgrade until November.. no idea why). Anyway, I will probably buy whatever iPhone is out then, or if there are rumors of one coming out in early 2014, I'll wait.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
My 4S just suits me fine for the time being.

Though I really hate to voice it, I want to see what the new BB Z10 with OS10 looks like. I've had Windows and Android and have used both in power user mode - and would never go back to either as a daily driver. That's just my opinion and usage parameters speaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.